“Odd decor, and even stranger menu” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Headley Spice

The Headley Spice
Ranked #22 of 156 Restaurants in Brentwood
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Odd decor, and even stranger menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

We ate here one Sunday evening, and were surprised by the odd decor of indoor wall mounted water features, the sound of the water pumps and rushing water was so loud it drowned out the piped music. The menu was also a bit odd in that it didn't contain a varied selection of dishes, the majority seemed to contain cream and cashew nuts. The descriptions were not very thorough and so I asked if there was a tomato based dish, at which the waiter just gave me a confused look as if I had just asked for a ridiculous item. The food was of good quality, and plentiful, although it was a bit on the hot side (despite me asking for medium). The temperature inside the building was rather cold though so make sure you take a jacket. Eating here is an unusual experience and I think it would be better to come here as a group.

3 Thank ALittleBitSpoiled

Tilbury, United Kingdom
“Well we had a fantastic meal.... so I don't get it - why the bad reviews?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I just thought I would write this review to perhaps balance things up but also to perhaps make the point..... Why can't these restaurants be consistent, how difficult is that

We had a really nice meal, lovely food and the service was very good and having eaten in all of the Indian restaurants in Brentwood I can say without a shadow of a doubt this was the best.... And then I read the recent reviews, clearly it has to do with the staff and the chef on on the night you visit. I will go again and report back, but its better than all the others...

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank BeanGood
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Lovely Indian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I’m generally a bit suspicious of Indian restaurants that present themselves as fine dining experiences. It’s not that I don’t think it can be done, Tamarind and Memsaab are amongst the best restaurants of any kind I’ve eaten in, but I’ve often found restaurants of this kind have major pretensions and very little to back them up. In the case of Headley Spice I think it’s been executed pretty well. We ate there at lunchtime on Sunday when the restaurant was quiet and found the staff really impressive, they were pleasant and attentive without being overbearing. The dining room is really well decorated, they have a good range of bottled beers and the wine list is good too. Most importantly the food is excellent; I had Achari lamb which had plenty of heat and lovely, complex flavours, I also tried a different sort of lamb and a Bengali fish dish which were both just as good. All our side orders were of a similar standard and dinner for four with drinks and wine came to just over £80 which seems excellent value to me. I’m looking forward to going again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank danw71
“Don't bother”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We hadn't booked & received a really poor welcome after 10 mins were shown to our table. We had to chase for drinks & menus. Finally drinks came and again had to chase for main course. My husband said his rice tasted odd I tried & definitely wasn't right called the waiter & he picked it up with his fingers & said it was fine! There was no way from there - positively terrible!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kay B
Brentwood UK
“Nice Decor--- Pity about the bad service!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

Booked a table for 7.30pm and restaurant then was not too busy. Had to ask for popadoms, then had to ask if we could have drinks. They did not even ask if we wanted coffees or sweets! When the waiter asked if everything was ok, we said no and explained why. He just smiled and said something under his breath but no apology!

4 Thank Babicz