“Bad service lets it down”
Review of The Headley Spice

The Headley Spice
Ranked #23 of 176 Restaurants in Brentwood
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 May 2014

A group of us came here for a retirement meal last night. Granted that it was a Friday night and there were fifteen of us, but the service really was very poor. We sat down at half seven and did not get our meal until 9.15, I believe that it was about an hour before anyone even took our orders. Obviously they had no trouble coming around asking us if we wanted drinks! That tired old ploy: 'get 'em drunk so they won't notice the bad service'!
The food itself was not bad. At least they did not get our order wrong. My mixed starter was pleasant, as was my lamb dansak Everyone else seemed to be satisfied with their meal. They have a disco upstairs. It is a pity that we were the only ones who went there. They really must sort out the service problem if they want to keep their customers.

3  Thank johnofhornchurch

Reviewed 20 April 2014

A pretty average restaurant that had declined both in food quality , and especially service . The produce was extremely poor , covered in pretty bland sauces . Tandoori dishes totally dried up .
One to avoid in future .

3  Thank jimbo1822
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I went to the restraunt after I saw it on Towie last night. The food was fab there presentation of food was amazing the atmosphere was calm it was quite busy but the staff managed to keep everyone happy. This is the one to go to for a night out!

1  Thank Indianfoodlove
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We visited this restaurant last night as a party of 8. Our booking was at 8 o'clock. We waited half an hour and then we were told there was a long table available, but if we waited 5 minutes there was a round table being cleared. After 10 minutes we were told that the round table had not left yet, but the long table was ready. We decided to take this.
We then waited an hour before anyone came to take our order. One waiter took out starter order, and 5 minutes later another came over to take our main course. This was in a very military fashion "you go, main dish" "ok now rice and naans". Considering we booked out table for 8, I think it is absolutely disgraceful that we did not get out starters until 10.30. We had to chase both our courses, and ask for drinks numerous times.
When our main courses were finally brought up, we then had to ask for cutlery. One member of our party was given a childs knife and fork twice, being told that you had no more as it was the end of the night. Another ended up with half his rice in his lap where the waiting staff were rushing as it was nearing closing time.
My partner decided to invite our friends to this restaurant as we have recently moved to the area, and had heard good things about it. The service was shocking, and the food was no better than we have had elsewhere. We will not be going back. You couldn't make up what an awful evening we had (awful apart from the company) one of our friends said it was like a Benny Hill sketch, but not amusing.

2  Thank AmyTurtle999
TheHeadleySpice, Manager at The Headley Spice, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Sorry For The Late Reply And I Do Apologise For The Mistakes And Errors Made By Staff That Night. I Do Insist You Return So We Can Put This Right For You And When You Return We Will Sort Out This Issue And Hopefully Make This Right. I Hope When You Visit Us Again We Can Help Change Your Mind About Returning!
I Apologise Again On Behalf Of The Whole Headley Spice Team.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

This is the second review we have placed. We've been coming to Headley for two years. I would imagine we are one of its most regular and loyal customers. We have visited fortnightly, sometimes more often. We came when I was pregnant and we brought our baby when she was tiny. We have always had a great rapport with the staff, they began providing highchairs with advice from us on which were most suitable for their style of restaurant. The waiters have always been lovely and chatty. Our baby is now a toddler and apart from the odd squeal is very good, she used to being in restaurants. There is sometimes a bit more mess around her highchair but I always make sure I clean up the floor and the waiters always make a point of telling us there is no need.
However the last few occasions there is one waiter that is not so friendly, surly and serious. A week ago on Saturday we booked for 5 of us plus our toddler for 6.30pm for my fathers birthday. We booked Early so we would be out by 8ish. They were already quite busy and the restaurant was noisy. As we sat down, the surly waiter (quite senior I believe) spoke to my husband. He asked that this time we make sure we are quiet, he said Saturday nights people come in and want a peaceful night. This was ludicrous, Saturday nights are their busiest night and it was very noisy. A large hen party came in about 15 mins later and sat beside us. He went on. He told us they wanted the table back as soon as possible and he said we should not make any mess. My husband did not tell me until we had sat down, Otherwise we Would have walked out. Our food came faster than it had ever had before. The waiter glared at us everytime he passed and once shock his head at my mum when our toddler squealed a bit when her fork Fell on the floor. No one could hear anything, the restaurant was so loud.
Our whole night was ruined, we felt incredibly uncomfortable, got out asap and paid well over £120 for this treatment. We told the manager on the way out that we were upset and why. He said he was sorry and he'd have a word but I dont think he heard me and didnt really take notice.
We were paying customers, loyal customer who have visited on quiet and busy nights, we have only ever raved about this restaurant. That is not something we can do any more. If you have young children, or have children be prepared that although diners around you like smiling and giving your toddler/child attention, you will not be welcome here.

3  Thank Convictoria

Sorry For The Late Reply And I Do Apologise For That Night. We Have Investigated This Matter And Do Think Or Is A Misunderstanding. As A Regular Customer We Value Your Thoughts And Opinion As You Would Know We Have Taken Your Advice Before. We Value Your Thoughts As You Are One Of Our Longest Regular Customer And Am Willing To Put This Right. If You Are Happy To Visit Us Again Please Do Come Over And We Will Work Together To Make You Happy With Us Again. I Do Apologise For This Misunderstanding Which Was The Wrong Use Of Words From One Of our Staff. I Do Hope You Change Your Mind And Pay Us A Visit And Fo Hope That You Know That We Value Your Opinion About Us. We Have Listened To You Before And Taken It Onboard To Satisfy Your Needs.
I Do Apologise Again And Hope You Pay Us A Visit!