“Great Thai food, in a lovely setting”
Review of Rose and Crown - CLOSED

Rose and Crown
Price range: US$6 - US$26
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: An exciting fusion of a traditional British Pub with authentic Thai dining. The Rose and Crown is a striking, newly refurbished pub that offers an extensive range of authentic Thai cuisine and traditional British dishes. We look forward very much to welcoming you to either our restaurant, or our traditional bar.
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We had a really good time at the Rose and Crown. The building is split into two on the inside, one side is the old English pub, and the other is the new Thai restaurant. We enjoyed the mix - having a drink in the pub side first before going through to the restaurant. The food was great, although I picked the steak salad which had only one chilli symbol and my husband picked dishes with 2 chilli symbols, my salad was actually hotter than his! We still enjoyed eating them as they were interesting and full of delicious flavours, and our server said if we had mentioned it, they would have been happy to re-make them less hot. I did feel that nothing would have been too much trouble, they were so friendly and polite, so next time I will make a point of asking for it to be made mild when I order! We thought the price was fair for the standard of food and drinks, and will definitely be back soon.

Date of visit: January 2012

Reviewed 10 January 2012

The decor is nice, the menu is good and the service was friendly, if rather slow.

Overall, the food was mediocre though - for example, the tempura prawns were not as fresh as they should have been and were descrbed as rubbery and on the small side.

The rest of the food was just passable but lacked the freshness, zing and flavour of other Thai restaurants I have been to.

At a cost of around £25 per head , the quality of the food just did not justify the price.

Date of visit: November 2011