“Raw chicken”

George & Dragon
Ranked #37 of 159 Restaurants in Brentwood
Price range: US$13 - US$58
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Alfresco dining now availableWe offer full table service on our sun soaked terrace all day every day when the sun is shining, with tables outside also available for drinks. If you would like to make a booking please use our quick and easy online bookings function!Our menu offers delicious seasonal dishes – so whether you’re dining in our restaurant, grabbing a snack in the bar or enjoying a delicious salad al fresco, you’re sure to find something to brighten up your day. Not only this, but Chef has also created a vegetarian menu and an exciting kids menu meaning everyone is happy!
“Raw chicken”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I went to the George and dragon on Saturday just gone and order a sandwich where I added chicken to it half way through eating my sandwich I see that the chicken is raw in the middle I instantly was sick!!
My friend went and showed the bar man the raw chicken and complained he said sorry and got another one made! The last thing I wanted to do was eat chicken again.
We left without paying obviously!!
I am a kitchen manager myself and cannot believe that a place like this cannot cook chicken thoroughly it clearly wasn't probed and temp checked which I no by law should have been.
I will never eat here again and have told everyone I no about the ordeal luckily I wasn't ill but I spent an hour on the phone to nhs line panicking about it!!

1 Thank BullyBeef_12
JennyLAldridge, General Manager at George & Dragon, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Please could you contact me immediately on 01277 351 461 to discuss this in order that we can undertake any investigations required.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Great organisation, great food, very accomodating”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary on 14th June and hired a bus to take us from The Riverside Inn in Chelmsford to various old haunts. One of those was The George & Dragon where we stopped for drinks and canapés.

Jenny, the manager, was incredibly helpful given that we would only be there for an hour or so. She organised the food (lamb Koftas and pizza) and drinks (Prosecco and beer) in a reserved Garden area and everything was waiting and still hot/cold as it should be when we arrived. Her and her staff were superb, magically producing tea, coffee and anything else very quickly. It couldn't have gone better.

A beautiful location with a very convenient bus stop right outside!

Thanks Jenny.

Visited June 2014
JennyLAldridge, General Manager at George & Dragon, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
HI Jan & Jamie,
Thank you for the lovely review, I'm so pleased we were able to be part of your special celebrations & everyone enjoyed the day (we were also really lucky the sun came out for you in the end!!)
London, United Kingdom
“Birthday Dinner for granddaughter”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was a celebratory dinner for my granddaughters 20th birthday. The table was nicely
situated, the room was light and airy and the music unobtrusive. The waiters and waitresses were friendly and efficient. We were asked twice to provide age proof when she requested a glass of wine. (She does not look her age) and was happy to oblige. The waitress Frankie
was a very good waitress. We did not have a starter but thought the starter list was
excellent and full of choice. Our main meals were very good and we all enjoyed them ranging from Sea bass, Chicken Pie to Burgers. The desserts were lovely and we all enjoyed our choice. We would go back again and would recommend the place.

• Visited June 2014
JennyLAldridge, General Manager at George & Dragon, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Hi Miranda,
Thank you for your review - I'm so pleased to hear the whole family enjoyed the birthday celebrations & I will of course pass on your kind comments to Frankie.
I apologise if your granddaughter was ID-ed excessively but our team members can face a fine of £100 & of course lose their jobs if they do serve anyone underage so this is something we do take very seriously. Obviously I will pick up with them about communicating with each other if someone has already shown ID though!
I hope to welcome you back to our pub soon.
London
“Very pleasant”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My son recommended this place to us so we thought we would give it a try. We went at a time when we knew it would not be too busy and sat in the bar area. The decor was very nice and I thought apt for a pub that was established in the 1700's not everybody likes plastic and glass surroundings. I thought it had a nice character and would definitely visit again. The food was very tasty and I have paid a lot more money for not so nice grub. The garden eating areas look very nice and I would imagine get busy on a nice sunny day. The staff were very courteous and I would definitely visit again.

• Visited May 2014
JennyLAldridge, General Manager at George & Dragon, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Hi Jackie,
Thank you for the review, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your visit with us & our outside dining area is indeed very popular - I sincerely hope you'll come back again soon to try it out!
London, United Kingdom
“Big thanku to Jenny A and the team at G&D”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

A family party, held at the George and Dragon, was a great success thanks to the staff at the G&D in Mountnessing. Food great, drinks (incl tea and coffee!!) flowed, Family (33 strong) all commented on the venue, food and great staff. Thanks for the day, and I would recommend G&D to anyone having eaten there with friends / school mums etc prior to Saturday.

• Visited May 2014
Hi Fiona,
Thanks so much for the review, I'm delighted we were able to help with Aimee's communion celebrations & the whole family had such an enjoyable day. I look forward to seeing you again soon!