“Fathers Day!”

Ranked #7 of 171 Restaurants in Brentwood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I want to start this review by saying that all of us, two adults and two children had a lovely time. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and left a good tip (I hope!) to reflect our satisfaction.

It was Father's Day and my wife booked in advance as a treat. We were not disappointed!

All the staff were totally switched on to this type of day and our service was excellent. A set menu with a fixed price incorporating a deal on courses ordered. We left very happy!

The dining was booked out as many parties had to be turned away. We have been here many times for drinks, drinks with nibbles or on the promise of a quick meal and "we promise we will vacate quickly before your booked table arrives". We have always been accommodated and always enjoyed ourselves.

I only give four stars instead of five as the food just does not warrant that final star. The food just does not give that sense of freshly prepared food. It is not freshly cooked joints of meat, freshly cooked vegetables. It had a slightly processed feel - most noticeable with my starter - pâté and the desserts - cheesecake.

We also ordered certain elements from different menus and made different combinations which, from experience, has made me scrutinise and on occasion query the bill. I did check but had no such concerns and was pleasantly surprised at how well our food orders were accommodated and how clearly represented in our final bill. It was these things as well as the staff excellent efforts that prompted is to repeat our appreciation and thanks and also to leave a decent tip.

We really enjoyed it and thank you, but for five stars the food needs to have a more natural and freshly prepared feel. I do not necessarily know how that can be achieved but with such a lovely pub, with lovely surroundings and excellent staff - it should be something that the management should explore to push this great eatery onto the next level.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We booked this restaurant on line, at 10:30 am, for 8:00pm the same evening. We received an email confirming the booking and informed our friends of the time our table was booked for. At 5:30 pm we received a phone call from the Boars Head advising they were unable to honour our booking as they hadn't checked their on-line bookings before continuing to accept and make telephone bookings. We were offered another table at 9:00 pm which was far too late. The staff member asked us to let them know what we intended to do, but, unfortunately, after deciding to get a takeaway instead, we didn't have time to give them a call! That will be the last time we attempt to dine at the Boars Head. We have given this restaurant 1 star in every category simply because we never got an opportunity to sample the service, atmosphere or food. No point in making an on-line booking if you have to phone to check that it is OK..............

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Boars Head, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear susanebarnes

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review regarding your recent experience at the Boars Head.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the pub in regards to the service you received. I can assure you that I have passed on your comments to the Management Team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind Regards

Chef & Brewer

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Dined at the Boars Head on a Friday evening with friends. Have visited before and enjoyed the meal but to be honest, last time (a Sunday lunch in March) and on this occasion, I have been disappointed sadly. We booked a table and were promptly shown to our seats, however, as we were handed the menus, we were told there was a wait of "30 minutes or so" for the food, but they would try to expedite our order as we had booked a table. That didn't really happen and the wait was, as expected, over 30 minutes. When the food did arrive, it was tasty, but I still don't think necessarily worth the wait. I feel the venue needs some general TLC, as the decor is looking a bit tired. The Boars Head used to be a pub that served food and now I'm not sure about it's identity...the number of tables to be served seems quite extensive and it doesn't seem the kitchen can cope? Pleased to report that the staff were friendly enough but just felt the evening was lacking 'professionalism'.

1  Thank 4Bravehearts
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We are locals who live in the same village as this pub and we have visited many times and have always enjoyed good but slow service and tasty food. We have even left a good review on there website before. We went today expecting the same however it has really gone downhill. The service is never as good as when Roy the duty manager is on but the food is normally of the same standard. After waiting 55 minutes, the food finally came out and was so awful I sent it back twice and the customers sitting next to me did the same. Really watery gravy that has been poured all over the dinner, meat that has sat under a lamp so it was dry and tasteless. Piping hot potatoes and cold vegetables - i don't even know how that is possible???? We asked the waitress if they had changed the chef but she said no and was very sorry. A real shame as it was a good local place we went to regularly - not any more though.....

1  Thank Essexgirl2014
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Boars Head, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Essexgirl2014

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Boars Head with regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Had eaten at the Boars Head on a couple of occasions with no problem, so that is why we decided to go with some friends who were visiting us for Sunday lunch. Things started badly when we ordered drinks and had to wait nearly 15 mins for them to arrive and we had to ask where they were. We ordered our meals and then had at least a half hour wait for starters. Starters came up and although they were fine it was nothing special. We then waited quite a while for our used plates to be collected. After a further 45 min wait our mains arrived 2 of them were fine, but I had Rib of Beef, which was totally overcooked and was exactly the same bit of meat that was served to the next table as Smokey Ribs ! So mine was exactly the same but presumably without the sauce, needless to say I did not eat my meal apart from the veg. I could've sent it back and re-ordered but that would've meant the other members of the party having finished their meal while I would be waiting for mine. My friend had Roast belly of Pork which was as tough as you like ! To be fair when we did complain, which I don't normally do the waitress was very nice and went away and came back with an offer of 2 free desserts. Whilst we were there were a further 2 complaints from other tables regarding the quality of the food.
I don't think there was enough staff on to cope with the demand as the wait for the food and drinks were totally unacceptable, with also no apologies for the wait when the meals did arrive. Unfortunately we won't be going back to the pub which is a shame as it is a nice setting for a lovely sunny day.