My Wife and I booked a National coach trip , to Kent to see Hampton Court and Royal Tumbridge Wells and also The Bluebell Line.
We boarded the coach at Newcastle and it was not until the first stop at Boroughbridge services that the Driver mentioned "That we were not staying were we were supposed to be staying, in Kent .......but Essex.
We got to the Hotel, Brentwood Holiday Inn which was quite pleasant and the room was adequate and comfortable.
It was the meal on the first night , that had everyone up in arm's it was appalling, supposed to be a Chinese, there was no taste of chinese food what so ever, noodles and bits of chicken, warm peppers in some sort of none discript sauce and tasteless pork.
The soup was not like any chinese soup I have ever seen, it was supposed to be Chicken and sweetcorn, or when asked the waitress said Brown chicken and sweetcorn.
I love chicken and sweetcorn soup and normally it is nearly a clear liquid, this was brown and looked like dirty dishwater.
One gentleman told me all it was was a chicken stock cube with sweetcorn it the liquid.He said it was vile.
I have never and other guests said the same had anything like it in my life, it was not fit for pig's to eat.
Given there were lots of elderley people on the trip , My wife and I when asked by the waitress the following morning ,what we thought of the food, thought we should tell her.
As we were doing so the Manager went passed so she called him over, he was very nice and polite as we were.
We told him we thought the food was not fit to be served and that people were talking about going to the Chippy up the road.
We also told him that Elderley people sometimes could not cope with spicy food for various reasons and some had told us just that.
He apologised and said it would be better the next night and there would be something special for us.
The folowing morning we had a lovely full English breakfast, no complaints there, in fact people were saying we would have that for our main evening meal as it was really nice.
That evening low and behold what did we get "Mexican" or so it was labled, cold fajitas cold rice, peppers again and some supposed , "Chilli" which smelt greasy and of cheap mince.
His special for us was a Sort of shepherds pie in a dish that would feed two people and was not nice at all and just warm.
At the end of this cullinary delight (which we left) the waitress came up and asked "was that better" I said No it was not and she seamed quite shocked.
The following night we gave it a miss, but according to fellow travellers it was no better.
The next night was supposed to be Italian, well that was no better Dauphinouise potatoes in a warm sauce and Pasta"COLD" and the rest was no better "peppers"again.
Given that we were sitting with an older Lady and her Daughter "who were of Italian extraction" well you can imagine the comments.
The Daughter had celiac's disease and the menu for her was not good, even though she had informed National Holidays of the fact , she told us (wether this was not passed on because of the change of Hotel, she did not know.
They staff put diasabled people up a couple of steps and on table so close together and near walls that it was so difficult to get in and out, even if you were an abled bodied person.
If you sat somewhere else you were told, IN no uncertain terms "That you were off the coach party" and should sit were you were told.
They did eventually sort tables on the level out, but people were still told they should be sitting on the higher level.
I told the Manager that we spoke to "That we were being treat like second class citizens and just because National Holiday's had agreed a price with the hotel, it was not our fault and we should be treat NO DIFFERENT to the people who were sitting there with candles and serviettes on the tables.
I can say without doubt %99.9 of the people on this trip were not at all happy at the way they were discriminated against for being on a coach trip.
The only people that said any other were on the trip and they said "they are complaining about the food because they are only used to fish and chips.
One Old lady said she would slap them for that comment , although we refused to tell her who had said this and she infact never ate fish and chips.
There were people there who have dined in nice restaraunts and Hotels all around the world "including My Wife and Myself and we know decent food when it is put in front of us, and that was not at this Hotel.
We took this short break after a recent bereavment and thought it would de-stress us, as my wife wanted to see Hampton Court, the change of Hotel We were told put more time on travelling and that was not good.
But the trips were O.K. and most of the people were really nice and friendly as was the coach driver.
Its a shame the food and the general feeling of being treat as second class citizens it caused, left a bitter taste in the mouth.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Brentwood is located just off junction 28 of the M25 and only 1 mile away from Ford Motor Company in Warley, and 0.5 miles from British Telecom offices. Holiday Inn Brentwood is 15 minutes from Lakeside Shopping Centre, 25 minutes from Stansted Airport, 40 minutes from Central London and is the perfect choice for business and leisure travellers alike staying in and around Essex. At the Holiday Inn Brentwood all guest rooms have air conditioning and are non-smoking. Offering a choice of standard and executive bedrooms as well as Family and 2 Accessible Bedrooms. High Speed internet access is available in guest rooms, lounge and The Academy. We offer a la carte dining in our restaurant, 24 hour room service or bar snacks. Unwind after a hard days work in our fully equipped health club, including beauty and fitness facilities, indoor pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Holiday Inn Brentwood is a popular venue for meetings and events and can accommodate a variety of functions in The Academy which can cater for 120 people theatre style, and offers breakout facilties. Events over the forthcoming months close to us:May - Southend Air ShowFree Car Parking available. Kids Stay & Eat Free* *Terms and conditions apply. Restaurant Closed on Sundays ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Brentwood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Brentwood Hotel Brentwood
- Brentwood Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Brentwood Essex