“"Appalling food"”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
Newcastle upon Tyne
“"Appalling food"”
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My Wife and I booked a National coach trip , to Kent to see Hampton Court and Royal Tumbridge Wells and also The Bluebell Line.
We boarded the coach at Newcastle and it was not until the first stop at Boroughbridge services that the Driver mentioned "That we were not staying were we were supposed to be staying, in Kent .......but Essex.
We got to the Hotel, Brentwood Holiday Inn which was quite pleasant and the room was adequate and comfortable.
It was the meal on the first night , that had everyone up in arm's it was appalling, supposed to be a Chinese, there was no taste of chinese food what so ever, noodles and bits of chicken, warm peppers in some sort of none discript sauce and tasteless pork.
The soup was not like any chinese soup I have ever seen, it was supposed to be Chicken and sweetcorn, or when asked the waitress said Brown chicken and sweetcorn.
I love chicken and sweetcorn soup and normally it is nearly a clear liquid, this was brown and looked like dirty dishwater.
One gentleman told me all it was was a chicken stock cube with sweetcorn it the liquid.He said it was vile.
I have never and other guests said the same had anything like it in my life, it was not fit for pig's to eat.
Given there were lots of elderley people on the trip , My wife and I when asked by the waitress the following morning ,what we thought of the food, thought we should tell her.
As we were doing so the Manager went passed so she called him over, he was very nice and polite as we were.
We told him we thought the food was not fit to be served and that people were talking about going to the Chippy up the road.
We also told him that Elderley people sometimes could not cope with spicy food for various reasons and some had told us just that.
He apologised and said it would be better the next night and there would be something special for us.
The folowing morning we had a lovely full English breakfast, no complaints there, in fact people were saying we would have that for our main evening meal as it was really nice.
That evening low and behold what did we get "Mexican" or so it was labled, cold fajitas cold rice, peppers again and some supposed , "Chilli" which smelt greasy and of cheap mince.
His special for us was a Sort of shepherds pie in a dish that would feed two people and was not nice at all and just warm.
At the end of this cullinary delight (which we left) the waitress came up and asked "was that better" I said No it was not and she seamed quite shocked.
The following night we gave it a miss, but according to fellow travellers it was no better.
The next night was supposed to be Italian, well that was no better Dauphinouise potatoes in a warm sauce and Pasta"COLD" and the rest was no better "peppers"again.
Given that we were sitting with an older Lady and her Daughter "who were of Italian extraction" well you can imagine the comments.
The Daughter had celiac's disease and the menu for her was not good, even though she had informed National Holidays of the fact , she told us (wether this was not passed on because of the change of Hotel, she did not know.
They staff put diasabled people up a couple of steps and on table so close together and near walls that it was so difficult to get in and out, even if you were an abled bodied person.
If you sat somewhere else you were told, IN no uncertain terms "That you were off the coach party" and should sit were you were told.
They did eventually sort tables on the level out, but people were still told they should be sitting on the higher level.
I told the Manager that we spoke to "That we were being treat like second class citizens and just because National Holiday's had agreed a price with the hotel, it was not our fault and we should be treat NO DIFFERENT to the people who were sitting there with candles and serviettes on the tables.
I can say without doubt %99.9 of the people on this trip were not at all happy at the way they were discriminated against for being on a coach trip.
The only people that said any other were on the trip and they said "they are complaining about the food because they are only used to fish and chips.
One Old lady said she would slap them for that comment , although we refused to tell her who had said this and she infact never ate fish and chips.
There were people there who have dined in nice restaraunts and Hotels all around the world "including My Wife and Myself and we know decent food when it is put in front of us, and that was not at this Hotel.
We took this short break after a recent bereavment and thought it would de-stress us, as my wife wanted to see Hampton Court, the change of Hotel We were told put more time on travelling and that was not good.
But the trips were O.K. and most of the people were really nice and friendly as was the coach driver.
Its a shame the food and the general feeling of being treat as second class citizens it caused, left a bitter taste in the mouth.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aspearman
IRees, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this review, 1 September 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feed back concerning your stay at the Holiday Inn Brentwood.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with regard to the food offerings available to you during your stay. I would like to reassure you at the Holiday Inn Brentwood we share a passion to deliver a great Hotel experience to all of our guests, and do offer our apologies for failing on this occasion. Please be assured your comments have been shared with the hotel management team for follow up.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
London
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Booked a standard room with breakfast for £99.00 on the holiday inn IHG website. Checked before booking with lowest internet rate as had seen the same offer for £67.00 on quickrooms.com.
Was told it would be ok and would get an additonal 10%. They have refused to pay.
They have talked about instant confirmation but the terms and conditions were followed to the letter.

Hotel looks a bit dull from outside but inside it was very nice, good rooms and fine breakfast. Bathroom looks a bit worn but have only once found a hotel bathroom worth writing home about (a Barcelo Golf Hotel between Barcelona and Montserat - black marble... nice).
Breakfast was nice, but when somebody burnt the toast we all had to gather outside for the fire brigade (cannot believe this is an isolated incident). Would stay again if booked with quickrooms.com or elsewhere - never again through the holiday inn website.

It also had a spa with swimming pool attached - did not use this but reckon that they deserve an extra star rating for the facilities, service and condition of the rooms.

This review is a darn sight more generous than there phony internet offer.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matty_Boom_Boom
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We stayed five nights in this hotel. The room and bathroom were clean and average size. Cofee Maker and complimentary coffee and tea every day. No free wi-fi, this was expensive: 10 pounds a day. Dining room closes at 9pm but there is a bar where you can be served a light meal, only drawback is it is very noisy. There is a large parking space which is free.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank inesmon
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to advise of your stay at the Holiday Inn Brentwood.
Wales
Reviewed 20 June 2011

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor,I was wary as to what we would find when we stayed here. After a difficult car journey (M4 +M25 on a Friday evenin is not fun) we arrived at about 8PMtofind a large car park close tothe M25/A12 junction.We were welcomed efficiently by reception staff and checked in quickly. Our room was on the 4th floor, clean & well maintained.We ate in the restaurant, where the choices were Ok but a bit limited. Service was friendly and quirky but very nice.
We had no problems with noise at all, either outside or from other guests. My wife used the pool & Spa with the Jacuzzi being lovely. She was on her own most of the time. The breakfast was good with the same quirky service.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Prifathro1953
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Great all round service fantastic and welldone to staff wht a great experience they all worked really hard to meet our request only thing we experienced bad was some drunken people spoiling other peoples stay being loud and acting fuuny

• Stayed June 2011
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My husband, daughter and I stayed for one night on 3rd June. I had read the reviews about th A12 which didn't bother me as I can sleep through traffic noise and use Holiday Inns throughout the country for business. What I wasn't prepared for was the tremendous noise from the 'on-site club', which apparently happens once a month on a Friday and we were unlucky enough to choose that particular Friday to stay. There was constant shouting/laughing/taxi doors banging etc throughout the night. The staff didn't seem too bothered about this and indicated it was my problem I had booked for that overnight stay. We ate in the restaurant and the food was very nice, but the service was average. One thing I objected to was that 10% service charge was automatically added to the restaurant bill. The room was clean, if a little dated and far too hot. The temperature can't be adjusted to suit personal preferences as the system is preset. Would I return to this hotel? Highly unlikely.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jooles1
Lytham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2011

CHARGED TWICE FOR MY ROOM AND REFUSED A REFUND!!

On checking in I was asked for my bank card for a pre-authorisation for the room. Later on I checked my bank account and the payment had been taken... which was fair enough. However, in the morning the receptionist insisted they hadn't taken the payment and it was just a "pre-authorisation payment?!" So i paid again, part cash part card!

It's now 5 days later and the "pre-authorisation" payment is still pending and the funds in my account are unavailable to me! After 15 phone calls to my bank and numerous calls to Holiday Inn the hotel is insisting that it is a banking error... but my bank are writing me written confirmation to the contrary. Each time I ring the hotel I speak to a different member of staff and i'm being fobbed off and passed from pillar to post. I find this absolutely disgraceful. The accounts manager was meant to call me back but instead got a foreign girl off the reception desk to phone for me and tell me the same spiel i'd listened to 14 times before! The manager is meant to be calling me back but hasn't. AVOIDANCE???

The hotel are refusing to accept that they have taken my payment twice and i've been basically accused of lying. I would never stay in this hotel again. The service i've received has been terrible!!!

Room Tip: Just go elsewhere!!!