“Better than expected.”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
northampton
“Better than expected.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

We arrived at this hotel hoping that some of the recent reviews were wrong. Check-in was very smooth and professional. We had a room on the ground floor just around the corner from the reception. Not the biggest room we've stayed in, but very clean and comfortable, although the armchair looked a bit battered! Sliding wooden "doors" replace curtains, which doesn't look great, but they do keep out the light from the car park. Large flat screen TV-very nice.Tea and coffee making equipment are all on a hefty wooden tray on a shelf under the TV - very awkward access, especially with the power socket being on the wall behind! We thought that the shelf would slide out for ease of use, but it didn't and we ended up moving the small kettle onto the top next to the TV.
Very nice bathroom with shower. Lovely white towels, but could be a bit BIGGER for us larger people!!
The bed was very comfortable with the usual variety of pillows on offer.
We were disturbed at about midnight on our first night by someone's kids running around in the corridors and outside in the car park - screaming. Very thoughtful of their parents if they were even aware.
My husband tried the leisure facilities and was very impressed with the pool, steam room (which he particularly enjoyed) and the jacuzzi.
We ate breakfast on both mornings - very nice with lots of choices of hot/cold etc.
We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday evening and were advised to book as it apparently gets busy. One table of approx. 10 people and ourselves is hardly busy! However, we had a very good meal. The service was very good and the food was surprisingly good.
The car park gets very full at busy times, although it is very extensive. We had to search a bit on the Saturday evening and then had a bit of a walk to the hotel entrance.
Ask for a room away from the reception area, as smokers tend to gather just outside - no matter what time of day or night.

Room Tip: Rooms near the entrance tend to be noisy, because the bar/restaurant are near. Also smokers gather o...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
IRees, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
Dear Cakemaker7

Thank you for your comments further to your recent stay at our hotel.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the facilities throughout the hotel.
Your feedback regarding the awkwardness of the location of the teatray, is most welcome, and further to your review i have asked my Housekeeping manager to look at relocating elsewhere in the room into a more convenient position.

Ian Rees

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

Hotel stay was okay, but our car was keyed in the car park and this was not captured on CCTV. Turned into an expensive stay. Will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
IRees, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this review, 12 September 2011
Thank you for your feed back concerning your stay at the Holiday Inn Brentwood.

I am disappointed to learn that you feel the damage to your car occurred during your stay at the Holiday Inn Brentwood, as damage to guest vehicles and any other form of car crime is not an issue that we tend to encounter.

However I am sorry if this was the case and resulted in spoiling your stay with us.

I would like to reassure you at the Holiday Inn Brentwood we take the security and safety of our guests and they're property most seriously at all times.

Felixstowe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

Due to my business I tend to work a lot of strange hours,I would like to thank the staff of Brentwood especially the cleaners as the tried their best to fit their duties around me sleeping during the daytime, I must admit it was hard to sleep at times during the day as they had to carry out their tasks at some point, the only minus point was the high price of wi fi,

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to advise of your stay at the Holiday Inn Brentwood.

It is always a pleasure to learn that the hotel team were successful in delivering a great experience.

Milton Keynes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

I have chosen to stay here on numerous occassions on business. On my latest stay I was appalled at the poor level of customer service and will not be chosing to stay again. On arrival at my room the window was jarred open and I was unable to close it so sought assistance from reception. However reception didn't appear to be in a position to answer the phone for 10 minutes so I wandered down. I reported the problem and was told someone would be along shortly. 20 minutes later I had to contact reception again as there was no sign of anyone and the room was getting quite cold. Once the lady from housekeeping did arrive, she was very polite and attentive and arranged an immediate room switch. Then arrived the food...what was described by the Holiday Inn as food that is, which was nothing short of disgraceful. The beef chilli had clearly spent so long under a heat lamp that its accompanying pot of sour cream had turned into milk and the rice was so dry it had formed into large cluster of rice balls. And let's not forget the £3.50 bottle of water which arrived luke warm and undrinkable. There is no way that food should have left the kitchen. If I was the Chef at this establishment I would be embarrassed, and if I were the General Manager of this establishment I would be recruiting for a new Chef. The overall price of this hotel is fairly expensive when you consider where it is - slap bang on the M25 and A12, and a fair distance to central London, 30 minutes by train and 45 minutes or so by car. Combine that with the tired rooms (which don't even come with an iron these days it would appear), the appalling food and slow service, I'd suggest a room rate anything over £75 per night is inappropriate for this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank MissV-MiltonKeynes
IRees, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this review, 1 September 2011

Thank you for your feed back concerning your stay at the Holiday Inn Brentwood.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with regard to your overall experience and with regard to your feeling of not receiving value for money within our Food & Beverage areas. I would like to reassure you at the Holiday Inn Brentwood we share a passion to deliver a great Hotel experience to all of our guests, and do offer our apologies for failing on this occasion. Please be assured your comments have been shared with the hotel management team for follow up.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Brentwood.

Travellers are raving about these Brentwood hotels

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed in Holiday Inn Brentwood from 23/07 to 26/07 and enjoyed our experience alot. A very clean & comfortable hotel. A very special mention must be made of Ms Chris who was serving us breakfast everyday. She's such a warm & caring person. She made sure all her guests were well taken care of. She even remembered that my son drank hot chocolate without being told the next day. She made our stay very memorable. We miss you Ms Chris. Sanjay & Ann, Singapore

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Firstly the floor in our room was filthy, we had to ask housekeeping to try and clean the chewing gum off the carpet as soon as we arrived. Secondly the place was like a nightclub with loud, drunk people outside the reception late at night having a cigarette. Our family room was not above the party rooms but the noise was still an issue. The worst thing however was being woken at 3am by a group of people shouting and screaming in the corridor, shortly followed by them setting the fire alarm off. The whole hotel was evacuated and we had to take our 2 and 4 yr old out outside in the cold at that time if the morning. We were livid as were most guests who were aware that the alarm had been set off by inconsiderate drunken Loire. Staff at the reception next day said it happens quite regularly! After a sub standard breakfast we were glad to leave. Worst hotel experience ever!

• Stayed February 2011

Thank you for your feed back concerning your stay at the Holiday Inn Brentwood.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with regard to your arrival experience and with regard to the noise you encountered.
I was concerned to learn that you were awoken due to a fire evacuation and would like to thank you for your constructive feedback. I would also like to take this opportunity to reassure you that the Health & Safety of both our guests and employees is of the utmost importance.
Please accept my apology for any inconvenience caused as the satisfaction of our guests is of the utmost importance.
Newcastle upon Tyne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

My Wife and I booked a National coach trip , to Kent to see Hampton Court and Royal Tumbridge Wells and also The Bluebell Line.
We boarded the coach at Newcastle and it was not until the first stop at Boroughbridge services that the Driver mentioned "That we were not staying were we were supposed to be staying, in Kent .......but Essex.
We got to the Hotel, Brentwood Holiday Inn which was quite pleasant and the room was adequate and comfortable.
It was the meal on the first night , that had everyone up in arm's it was appalling, supposed to be a Chinese, there was no taste of chinese food what so ever, noodles and bits of chicken, warm peppers in some sort of none discript sauce and tasteless pork.
The soup was not like any chinese soup I have ever seen, it was supposed to be Chicken and sweetcorn, or when asked the waitress said Brown chicken and sweetcorn.
I love chicken and sweetcorn soup and normally it is nearly a clear liquid, this was brown and looked like dirty dishwater.
One gentleman told me all it was was a chicken stock cube with sweetcorn it the liquid.He said it was vile.
I have never and other guests said the same had anything like it in my life, it was not fit for pig's to eat.
Given there were lots of elderley people on the trip , My wife and I when asked by the waitress the following morning ,what we thought of the food, thought we should tell her.
As we were doing so the Manager went passed so she called him over, he was very nice and polite as we were.
We told him we thought the food was not fit to be served and that people were talking about going to the Chippy up the road.
We also told him that Elderley people sometimes could not cope with spicy food for various reasons and some had told us just that.
He apologised and said it would be better the next night and there would be something special for us.
The folowing morning we had a lovely full English breakfast, no complaints there, in fact people were saying we would have that for our main evening meal as it was really nice.
That evening low and behold what did we get "Mexican" or so it was labled, cold fajitas cold rice, peppers again and some supposed , "Chilli" which smelt greasy and of cheap mince.
His special for us was a Sort of shepherds pie in a dish that would feed two people and was not nice at all and just warm.
At the end of this cullinary delight (which we left) the waitress came up and asked "was that better" I said No it was not and she seamed quite shocked.
The following night we gave it a miss, but according to fellow travellers it was no better.
The next night was supposed to be Italian, well that was no better Dauphinouise potatoes in a warm sauce and Pasta"COLD" and the rest was no better "peppers"again.
Given that we were sitting with an older Lady and her Daughter "who were of Italian extraction" well you can imagine the comments.
The Daughter had celiac's disease and the menu for her was not good, even though she had informed National Holidays of the fact , she told us (wether this was not passed on because of the change of Hotel, she did not know.
They staff put diasabled people up a couple of steps and on table so close together and near walls that it was so difficult to get in and out, even if you were an abled bodied person.
If you sat somewhere else you were told, IN no uncertain terms "That you were off the coach party" and should sit were you were told.
They did eventually sort tables on the level out, but people were still told they should be sitting on the higher level.
I told the Manager that we spoke to "That we were being treat like second class citizens and just because National Holiday's had agreed a price with the hotel, it was not our fault and we should be treat NO DIFFERENT to the people who were sitting there with candles and serviettes on the tables.
I can say without doubt %99.9 of the people on this trip were not at all happy at the way they were discriminated against for being on a coach trip.
The only people that said any other were on the trip and they said "they are complaining about the food because they are only used to fish and chips.
One Old lady said she would slap them for that comment , although we refused to tell her who had said this and she infact never ate fish and chips.
There were people there who have dined in nice restaraunts and Hotels all around the world "including My Wife and Myself and we know decent food when it is put in front of us, and that was not at this Hotel.
We took this short break after a recent bereavment and thought it would de-stress us, as my wife wanted to see Hampton Court, the change of Hotel We were told put more time on travelling and that was not good.
But the trips were O.K. and most of the people were really nice and friendly as was the coach driver.
Its a shame the food and the general feeling of being treat as second class citizens it caused, left a bitter taste in the mouth.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aspearman

Thank you for your feed back concerning your stay at the Holiday Inn Brentwood.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with regard to the food offerings available to you during your stay. I would like to reassure you at the Holiday Inn Brentwood we share a passion to deliver a great Hotel experience to all of our guests, and do offer our apologies for failing on this occasion. Please be assured your comments have been shared with the hotel management team for follow up.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brentwood
Marygreen Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow
Orsett Hall
Orsett Hall
#1 of 1 in Orsett

Been to Holiday Inn Brentwood? Share your experiences!