“Nice Hotel Terrible Restaurant” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Brentwood

Holiday Inn Brentwood
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
Chester, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel Terrible Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Nice pleasant Hotel if not a little tired.
The Reception Staff are friendly and helpful
However the Restaurant is to be avoided
I booked a Dinner bed & breakfast package paying £10 per room for breakfast and £10 per room for evening meal.
When I ordered the evening meal the starter was sent back because it was burnt
The main was only half eaten because it was a swill of grease
The pudding corse delivered wasn't what I ordered.
To top it off they presented me with a bill itemising every course at full price and adding the discretionary service charge to add to my bill.
The whole ethos of the restaurant is a rip off with very poor food.
Having said that the Breakfast was OK for a Buffet
Tip, stay for the room/pool and eat out

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank usnmatt
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us. I am very pleased to note that in the main you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel. However I like to apologise for the shortfalls you experienced when dining in our restaurant. Please note these shortfalls are not typical of our usual high standards in service and indeed quality of the food. Please rest assured I will review these comments with my Food and Beverage Manager. I do we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel at some stage in the future when you can be assured of our very best attention. Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

On arrival everything seemed fine but as the evening went on the hotel became over run with drunken louts. From 12 ish untill 5 am we had no sleep at all due to people fighting in the corridors, swearing banging doors. I think they should re name this place Hostel for the drunk.I complained to the manager who was very apoplogetic and said this happens every weekend due to a big nightclub down the road. There was quite a lot of security but they just could not cope. You should put a stop to this Holiday inn as you are letting your hotel turn into a weekend war zone Definietly the worst hotel stay ever which is a shame because the staff and the place itself were ok.

Room Tip: Dont go at the weekend
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ian w
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Brentwood.
At the outset please allow me to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused through the disturbances that you describe during your stay at the hotel. I was concerned to read of the issues that you raise within your comments, relating to the disturbances you experienced. It is always difficult when other guests disrupt the hotel ambience and I am sure you will appreciate it is not always possible to legislate for this. I would like to genuinely thank you for bringing your experiences to my attention and once again express my regret that your stay was spoilt. On a more positive note I am pleased to read you otherwise enjoyed our facilities and the service provided by the staff. I do hope that your experience on this occasion will not deter you from considering returning to Holiday Inn Brentwood or other Holiday Inn Hotels in the future. Kind regards.

Travellers are raving about these Brentwood hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Ok, I may have been really unlucky here! The staff were exceptional. Real added value. The hotel was not. On arrival I found a note in my room informing me of works being carried out so the pool, restaurant and facility's were unavailable! Yet they still charge £120 per night! Once I had come back from a local restaurant and made my way to bed the fun began! I was in room 140 (I think) and at three in the morning it sounded like a knumatic drill had been fired up and was going for it within my radiator, this continued intermittently throughout the night. This meant I didn't really sleep, the staff in the morning were sympathetic, but to be fair, what could they do about it?

Room Tip: Check before you book for any "works" being carried out.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank David L
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay. First and foremost I would like to apologise you were inconvenienced during your stay as a result of scheduled maintenance work to our electricity supply. This outage was outside of our control and at the request of the Electricity Board. The outage was for a period of just over 2 hours and had been planned in details for many weeks prior, which included us posting a message on our website and indeed, as you mentioned, via written communication to our guests staying in the hotel at the time. Naturally I am also sorry to read an airlock in the radiator system caused you a disturbance during the night and I like to assure you I have asked my maintenance engineer to investigate this further. On a more positive note I am delighted to read your comments in regards to my staff. We always endeavour to provide all our guests with exceptional service and guest care and I am pleased you experienced this during your stay. Despite the fact your stay may not have been the perfect experience I very much hope we may have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel at some stage in the future.
Kind regards
Joost van Spengler
bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

location good; moderately quiet. internet access ridiculously expensive, decided to go to a nearby internet cafe instead. breakfast not bad, but still could be better.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Thank you very much for your comments following your recent stay with us. We continuously review the services and level of comfort we provide to our guests and your comments will most certainly assist us with this process. I very much hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel at some future date. Kind regards. Joost van Spengler
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

I have just spent three nights here with my 11 year old son, and we have been doing this for several years when visiting elderly family in the area who are unable to accommodate us. The Holiday Inn staff were superb as usual, particularly Lauren on reception who couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Room was lovely and food excellent.
It was apparent on arriving on Friday night that a large number of guests were groups of young people intent on partying.
Unfortunately for us all three nights were a disaster thanks to the moronic behaviour of some of these guests. On Friday night the fire alarm went off at around 1am and we had to wait outside in below freezing temperatures while the fire brigade came. Apparently someone had tried to take the smoke detector down in their room so they could smoke! Once back in bed and just drifting off to sleep it went off again, but this time it was switched off before we had evacuated so another false alarm presumably. Saturday night was disturbed until after 2am by idiots running up and down the corridor shouting & swearing, and on Sunday night a group of females on the corridor were constantly in and out of each others rooms until 3am, giggling and laughing & banging doors. I am fully aware that this is all out of the control of the hotel staff and the Holiday Inn are probably happy to have full rooms at the weekend. But I think they should now make it clear that it is no longer a suitable hotel for families. I certainly won't be staying there again although I will continue to be a fan of Holiday Inns in the rest of the country as I have been for many years.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, at least ask for a room as far away from the entrance as possible. You ha...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
One of our key priorities is to make sure we provide a safe and secure environment at all times and it is indeed most regretted that the Fire Alarm was activated by other residents tampering with the fire detection system. Furthermore I regret that you were disturbed on the second night by unruly behaviour by other guests. It is always difficult when other guests disrupt the hotel ambience and I am sure you will appreciate this is not always something we can legislate for. However would you have brought this to our attention at the time I am sure my Team would have acted upon your concerns without delay. On a more positive note I very much appreciate your kind comments about the high level of service provided by my Team Members and that you once again enjoyed our facilities. However I very much hope that despite your disappointing experience on this occasion you will reconsider your decision not to return when you can be assured of our very best attention! Yours sincerely
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

my sisters suprise 60th party was held here and most of the family stayed here the party and the arrangments made with the hotel to suprise my sister went realy well all the staff were aware of it and carried it off brilliantly. The breakfast and the staff were realy helpfull as there were a lot of us and children as well, the security staff had a lot of trouble with young people from a nearby club but took care of it all.
Now the rest whilst we were there we were all upset to loose a family member and guest at the hotel the staff were so good from the reception managment security and cleaners the local police and ambulance and paramedics but the hotel staff i cannot say enough about thank you thank you thank you. The pool gym and facilities we made use of were also good but it is the staff that are a real credit to this hotel they deserve a medal and the dark lady I think she was a cleaner not sure who was a work and the security they need a pay rise please will the hotel reconise this.

Room Tip: go for a higher floor as there is a lot of noise with young people inside and outside of the hotel a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, I am very pleased to read that despite the tragic loss of a member of your family you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel and that the surprise birthday party of your sister was such a success. All Team Members on my staff are very committed to providing the highest level of service and assistance to all of our guests and I very much appreciate you recognised their efforts in your review. Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel at some stage in the future. Kind regards. Joost van Spengler
Dartford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

We recently had a great stay here, even after reading a few of the past reviews! Quite frankly didn't see any evidence to support the claims!

Thank you for looking after my family and I we will most certainly return again

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel!
Kind regards
Joost van Spengler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brentwood
Marygreen Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Orsett
Pontlands Park
Pontlands Park
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow

Been to Holiday Inn Brentwood? Share your experiences!