“Average hotel at a good location with Worst Service”

Holiday Inn Brentwood
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
Reviewed 24 December 2012

It is an average hotel which is located just near to M25, but the service is below standard. For them, people from one country belong to one group, so if one indian does anything absurd, they think that whole Indian are not worth of staying in their hotel. The dont provide any cooking facility in the room but think a person can cook his meal in electric kettle which is provided for Tea/ Coffee. Due to this thinking they took the kettle from my room and the excuse was that when I stayed earlier I cook in the room and broke the kettle, whereas this is the first time I was in UK. Second I took the laundry service from then and that time I was told that I could pay at the time of checking out, but after few days, they block the access to my room and the reason was that I had to pay for the laundry service I took earlier before my keys are activate again. The wall are so thin, that everytime anyone talk outside your room during night you can hear their voice. I have been to US also several time and stayed in their group hotel- staybridge suites and even to some of Marriot Properties, but never seen this type of service.

Room Tip: Dont know as I haven`t seen other room, but mine was not good
1  Thank AnandJai
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

Dear AnandJai,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We are happy you found the location suitable. I apologize the experience you received was less than satisfactory. We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience you experienced due to the services received. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 23 December 2012

Receptionist was very rude and off hand when we checked in. We had 5 rooms booked for my friends hen night, this does not mean that we were badly behaved or inconsiderate to other guests. The rooms were very shabby and dated, there was blood on the bed sheet and carpet of one of the rooms. The room the bride was in had a shower that did not work and reception would do nothing about it as they said they were fully booked.

We ordered a pizza and burger costing £12 each from room service that took 2 hours to appear. When we returned to our rooms at about 12pm after our night out the heating was off and our rooms were freezing. The dirty plates from the burger and pizza were still outside our room from about 4PM. We tried to call housekeeping to get some heating but no one picked up, reception was also unmanned.

This has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. We booked Holiday Inn because we thought it would be of a good standard, I will never stay at one of their hotels again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, we wish we had stayed with our original choice of a Premier Inn
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank sam m
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Dear sam m,

Thank you for your feedback of our property. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I deeply regret that we fell below your expectations on this day, especially with the room accommodations you received and issues experienced at check in. Your comments will be used to improve our efforts.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G.

Reviewed 23 December 2012

They forgot to build walls in this hotel, instead used tissue paper.

Compounding this problem was the party they organised which went on until 3 am when the guests returned to their rooms and continued the party. The only moments of near silence we heard was when they were vomiting into their toilets!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Family216443
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Dear Family216443,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review of our property. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am sorry that on this day your stay was negatively affected by the noise levels at the hotel. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Once again, many thanks for posting your comments.

Pam G.

Reviewed 9 December 2012

Excellent base for the North and East of London, spent 4 nights here and overall the hotek was excellent. Staff are very helpful and friendly. The restaurant food is superb a different treat every night. As we were there all week we took advantage of the leisure club facilities, having a swim and steam/sauna each night. Would certainly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

My husband and I went here on Saturday night. We were running late so my husband quickly checked us in and ran our bag up to our room. He didn't check the standard of the room at that time. We had an enjoyable day/night out and came back at 1.30am. We were greeted with police and 'bouncers', this is a first for us! The noise and drunken guests was not what we hoped for.
Once in our room we couldn't believe the state of the room. I have put some pictures up of what to expect if you stay here. We did phone the manager up who sent someone up to show us another room of equal standard (poor).
The whole room needs a complete refurbishment. If this hotel is being used for the nearby 'Sugar Hut' which involves lots of drinking and people being loud and possibly drink 'illness' then they need to arrange to have the room suitably cleaned.
The bathroom was awful, the grout looked 20 years old, brown staining and black (from mould?)
The chair used for the dressing table had holes in it where it had been forced over a period of time to sit underneath it. The marks on the sofa were awful as was the carpet.
I took photos and showed the reception staff who were obviously 'shocked' saying they have never been in the rooms. If this is the case then maybe this needs to happen. How can they comment on something they don't see?
Breakfast - the general staff were kept constantly busy with the stream of people coming and going. The manager needs a big kick up the back side to stop delegating and pointing his finger to actually taking control and checking on the stock levels.
No bread. No large plates. No orange juice. No sausages. No bacon. No hash browns. No beans. No sauce. Although I brought it to his attention several times, he assured me 2 minutes.....more like 5 minutes and the sausages came out, 10 minutes and the bacon came out, 15 minutes and the hash browns came out...you can get the drift
Forget about the coffee he offered us when we came in, we had to ask a very nice lady for some who bless her was run off her feet but fetched us some.

They didn't charge us for the room or breakfast even though I did offer to pay for breakfast so glad I didn't after the joke of the 'school cafe' , and this may seem fair to some of you but in all honesty, its not. It spoilt our weekend, we don't get an opportunity to go out very often and money isn't the issue for us it's our time.

I look foward to hearing the response from the customer service team, lets see if they can enlighten me as to why they offer such filthy, dated rooms for hire.

Room Tip: Don't believe the pictures they show on the website, ask to view the room before you pay. Don...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nanabav
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Hotel is located in a perfect location located within a few meters of the M25 and A12 junction, perfect if you want to visit London but don't want to stay in London.
We checked in with a lovely lady, who was efficient and extremely friendly! The restaurant team are great and the food is better than one would expect from a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed here recently. First room was an "old" disabled room, all facilities still in place, but the emergency cord just cut off short (Hence no longer a room for the disabled). Moved to an "Executive" room, I can only assume because it had a complimentary water. Requested an alarm call, never arrived and caused a missed appointment, when tasked at reception, just a throw away "Dont know what happened there" comment, eventually an apology, Oh, and the price of a pint of beer (£4.00 ish) knocked off for my inconvenience. Really not interested at the desk. Requested a call from the hotel manager, still waiting almost a week later. As a Priority club Gold member, I did expect a little better treatment, maybe they dont regular business. OH, one good point, an excellent restaurant chef albeit a little expensive. Not one for a revisit from me.

Room Tip: Insist on a quiet room as it is very close to the M25
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brentwood, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear Peter S,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Brentwood.

Karen Gray
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brentwood
Premier Inn Brentwood Hotel
Gidea Park Hotel
Gidea Park Hotel
#2 of 6 in Romford
Travelodge London Romford

Been to Holiday Inn Brentwood? Share your experiences!