“Bloody nice place........ And what a wine list!!!”

Marygreen Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
“Bloody nice place........ And what a wine list!!!”
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Had been trying to locate a restaurant I used to eat in some 20 years ago in the Brentwood area..... Had the pleasure of staying in one of the Marygreen's suites and wasn't disappointed(delighted in fact!) by that so took the chance of booking into their restaurant only to find it was the Moat House of 20 years ago!!! Glad to report that the standard of food was as good as ever and that half the staff are the same as back then! And with a wine list to die for this is most definitely a hotel and restaurant that I'll be returning to over and over........ Thank you to all at the Marygreen Manor who made my all too short such a pleasurable experience.....

• Stayed March 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Worcester
Reviewed 25 February 2011

This was my first visit and overall I have good impression of this being a hotel of a high standard with good rooms, well trained staff, an excellent restaurant, lots of character and good setting and gardens. BUT.
I was initially placed in room number one and it suffers terribly from noise generated by the nearby kitchen fans and which kept me awake until I was eventually forced to change room at 2 am.

I'd stay again, but avoid room one and possibly two and three etc.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank alan9908
MGMManagement, Manager at Marygreen Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay. We were delighted to read you had enjoyed your time with us. However we are very sorry that you were disturbed during the night. As a general rule the kitchen fans are turned off during the night and it would appear that this was overlooked on the night of your stay. We would like to apologise for this oversight and have taken steps to ensure this does not reoccur. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Marygreen Manor Hotel in the near future.
Reviewed 5 February 2011

This hotel has it all fantastic food,amazing rooms, great service and lovely surroundings. The thing that really impressed me with this hotel is the quality of service that you get from the staff, they treat you like royalty!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
MGMManagement, Manager at Marygreen Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2011
Thank you very much for your review. We were delighted to read you had enjoyed your visit to the Marygreen Manor Hotel and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I had the very good fortune to arrange my parents 'Diamond Wedding' surprise celebration lunch at your venue on Christmas Eve.
I didn't start to arrange the event (43 guests), until late August/early September, my initial contact being through Cyril. Cyril dealt with me throught the arrangements and nothing was too much trouble for him. He always made himself available, fitting around my busy schedule and was always well presented. We probably had 4 or 5 meetings to finalise everything, plus a couple of last minute changes.
I have to say, I was concerned as it was a surprise event and one hitch could have ruined the whole thing. I need not have been on the part of Marygreen Manor, everything went so smoothly and I could not fault a single thing.
All the staff were excellent, but Cyril was outstanding - it's not often I get the chance to say that about anyone these days!!
The food was excellent. Every single guest commented on how good the food was and what a fantastic start to the Christmas celebrations our event was.
My heartfelt thanks to your staff and in particular, Cyril, for all your efforts.
I would certainly have no hesitation whatsoever, in recommending your venue for functions, to anybody.
Yours Sincerely, John Stroud - Ingrave.

• Stayed December 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to add your review to our listing. We were very pleased to read your positive feedback and, in particular, your kind comments regarding our staff. We hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.
Reviewed 19 January 2011

My husband book this hotel for my birthday as a surprise in Jan 2011. The room we had was the Catherine of Aragon suite and it was amazing. It was like an old fashioned type room and it was amazing. The food was excellent and as a vegetarian I was suprised to see so many options. The hotel staff are very helpful and polite. I went to a murder mystery night about 6 months ago and that was great fun. Again amazing food, very well organised and a brilliant night out.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. We were glad to hear you were pleased with our accommodation, food quality and the standard of service you received during your stay. Our vegetarian menu has been very well received since its introduction and I am glad you enjoyed the dishes chosen.
Rayleigh
Reviewed 7 January 2011

My partner and I took advantage of a reasonable offer on a room, 'supper' and breakfast between Christmas and New Year.

We were pleasantly greeted upon arrival at the hotel, our room was pleasant and well enough appointed and the staff were courteous and attentive, but we were deeply disappointed by the quality of the food at dinner and at breakfast the following day.

After finding the three main courses on offer not to our taste, we were unable to order anything other than the set items, despite offering to pay extra in order to do so. Dinner, when it arrived, appeared to be very sub-standard, and in very small portions. The chicken curry and the vegetarian lasagne both appeared to be microwave type 'ready' meals; this fact was further supported by the fact that there was no opportunity to personalise the dishes (ie less sauce for the chicken curry, etc). I was still hungry after my soup and small lasagne and staff were helpful enough to supply me with some basic cheddar, brie and biscuits at my request (and at a supplement).

We left the restaurant and had to head to the Supermarket to buy some snacks for the rest of the evening as we were not sated by our meal.

In the morning I was further disappointed (as a pescetarian) to find that there was no vegetarian alternative to the English Breakfast as the vegetarian sausages had not been delivered; nor was there any smoked haddock. My partner ordered a full English breakfast which, he said, tasted thoroughly of kippers! We both had eggs which, again, were sub-standard; being rubbery and unappetising.

We often enjoy a night away, at both higher and lower ends of the Hotel spectrum, but have never been as disappointed with the quality of the food at any of the other establishments.

I complained to the hotel and finally received a response 5 days later. It was explained to me that the offer was advertised as 'supper' and not dinner; considering the hotel booked our table for us for at around 6pm, I was not sure that this constituted 'supper'. The respondee also apologised for the oversight that led to staff mistakenly advising us that we could not order an alternative, that the Head Chef had been 'spoken to' about the eggs and that vegetarian sausages would be kept in the freezer from now on. We were also urged to come back another time, although there was no incentive to do so in the form of a free glass of wine or the suchlike (as I would have thought would be a minimum gesture for the sake of goodwill)!

I have advised a colleague who makes the corporate bookings for my organisation (as well as some of my other contacts within corporate hospitality roles) of the shabby approach the hotel takes to its room deals and restaurant provision, as well as to its customer service approach.

I preferred the 'Premier Inn'!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
MGMManagement, General Manager at Marygreen Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
Thank you again for your feedback. I apologise for the initial delay in responding to your original email which was received on 30th December 2010. Unfortunately I was on leave at this time and did not return until 4th January 2011, when I replied to your email.

The package rate booked was £86.00, based on two people sharing. This included overnight accommodation for, a two course supper and full breakfast. As this equates to only £43.00 per person I considered this to offer excellent value for money. This offer proved very popular with many guests. I am sorry that you were obviously disappointed with your meal; however I would like to reiterate that the meals served to you were homemade on our premises, by our staff and were not “Ready meals”

I have included a copy of my original email response to you below:

“I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the meal included in your room package. The package was sold including a meal from our Light Supper Menu and not as a dinner. However I have certainly taken your feedback on the portion size on board and will consider this when next offering a package menu including supper. I would like to assure you that all items on the menu were prepared in house by our kitchen staff and were not “microwave type ready meals”. I am sorry you were unable to order any alternative choices from our lounge menu. This should not have been a problem on the day and I have spoken to those staff concerned to ensure this problem does not reoccur in the future. I will also ensure that copies of the available menu are sent out with confirmations and/or are available on our website.

I would also like to apologise for the problems you experienced with your breakfast. Unfortunately, as you state, we were let down by our supplier and therefore had no vegetarian sausages available. The week between Christmas and New Year is always a difficult period for ordering and although we would usually only use fresh produce I will ensure a frozen provision is in place for future emergencies. I have also spoken with our Head Chef with regard to your comments about the eggs served. He will ensure that greater care is taken with this particular dish in the future. I am afraid that although I have looked in to your comment regarding your partner’s breakfast tasting of kippers I can find no reason or explanation for this.

I can assure you that the quality of food, as you describe, is not the normally achieved standard here at the Marygreen Manor Hotel and I sincerely hope that you do not let this isolated incident deter you from visiting us again. I am certain that you would not be disappointed if you booked to celebrate Valentines Day with us and I hope you are able to reconsider.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to send in your feedback as this helps us monitor and, where necessary improve, on the standards we achieve.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Marygreen Manor in the near future.”

We work hard to ensure our guests enjoy their time with us and I am very sorry that we have failed on this occasion. Your feed back has been very useful and I appreciate the time you took to submit it.
Reviewed 3 December 2010

I stayed at this hotel in November to attend the Murder Mystery night with a group of friends. It was a great evening - very amusing actors, fabulous food and great service, as always. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff, and you would struggle to find anything on the same level for the price charged. Next time I intend making a long weekend of it and thoroughly spoiling myself! I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jenpowell
MGMManagement, Manager at Marygreen Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2011
Thank you very much for your review. We were glad to hear you enjoyed one of our Murder Mystery Nights. It was also a pleasure to read your comments regarding our food and service. We hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the Marygreen Manor in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brentwood
De Rougemont Manor
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow
Orsett Hall
Orsett Hall
#1 of 1 in Orsett

Been to Marygreen Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!