“Lovely old hotel but they need to think again about their restaurant menu & pricing!”

Marygreen Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
Brentwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

I have tried the lunch menu at the Tudors restaurant at Marygreen Manor on a few occassions now with mixed results. My latest visit was on 7th April with 2 friends and the restuarant was empty apart from a family at the next table so it lacked ambience. The low level background music was dreadful and we asked them to turn off the speaker that we were sitting under but the other speaker remained on. The menu choice was limited and the starter was disappointing but the main and dessert were very good. It seemed good value for money until the coffee at nearly £4 ! a cup and the service charge at around 12% was added on!. I'm not sure I will go again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

Avoid this place like Vanessa Feltz`s knickers..Even the staff complain they are doing four jobs at once. When you first drive in make sure you dont park to the left in the wrong car park and get clamped.
Service was awful.They dont know the meaning of the word. I thought it was a self service bar!
Oddly, the full breakfast is 25% more expensive for guests! How so?
I would at best give them 3 stars...they certainly dont deserve four..
If you are extra hungry, the food scraps on the outside of the sticky menu`s should tide you over until you are lucky enough to be spotted by a member of staff!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank lesleyphilips
MGMManagement, General Manager at Marygreen Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were sorry to read your comments as it is always disappointing to hear that we failed to deliver the normal levels of service we are able to achieve. I am also sorry that you seem to have experienced some difficulty in our car park; however I would like to assure you that no vehicles have EVER been clamped in our car park neither do we have a “wrong” car park.

It would appear that there is also some confusion regarding our breakfast pricing. We offer an advanced purchase rate of £10.00 for breakfast. This is only available to guests booking accommodation with us. We do not charge 25% extra for hotel guests but rather offer them a discount of 32% for booking in advance. I am very sorry if this was not communicated effectively to you during the reservation process.

We would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you during your stay with us and we are sorry that we did not get the chance to do so. However please be assured that we will use your feedback to improve on the areas of service and presentation you mention in your review.

We sincerely hope you do not let this isolated incident deter you from staying with us again and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Marygreen Manor Hotel in the near future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

Had been trying to locate a restaurant I used to eat in some 20 years ago in the Brentwood area..... Had the pleasure of staying in one of the Marygreen's suites and wasn't disappointed(delighted in fact!) by that so took the chance of booking into their restaurant only to find it was the Moat House of 20 years ago!!! Glad to report that the standard of food was as good as ever and that half the staff are the same as back then! And with a wine list to die for this is most definitely a hotel and restaurant that I'll be returning to over and over........ Thank you to all at the Marygreen Manor who made my all too short such a pleasurable experience.....

• Stayed March 2011
Worcester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

This was my first visit and overall I have good impression of this being a hotel of a high standard with good rooms, well trained staff, an excellent restaurant, lots of character and good setting and gardens. BUT.
I was initially placed in room number one and it suffers terribly from noise generated by the nearby kitchen fans and which kept me awake until I was eventually forced to change room at 2 am.

I'd stay again, but avoid room one and possibly two and three etc.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank alan9908
MGMManagement, Manager at Marygreen Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay. We were delighted to read you had enjoyed your time with us. However we are very sorry that you were disturbed during the night. As a general rule the kitchen fans are turned off during the night and it would appear that this was overlooked on the night of your stay. We would like to apologise for this oversight and have taken steps to ensure this does not reoccur. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Marygreen Manor Hotel in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2011

This hotel has it all fantastic food,amazing rooms, great service and lovely surroundings. The thing that really impressed me with this hotel is the quality of service that you get from the staff, they treat you like royalty!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
MGMManagement, Manager at Marygreen Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2011
Thank you very much for your review. We were delighted to read you had enjoyed your visit to the Marygreen Manor Hotel and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Brentwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

I had the very good fortune to arrange my parents 'Diamond Wedding' surprise celebration lunch at your venue on Christmas Eve.
I didn't start to arrange the event (43 guests), until late August/early September, my initial contact being through Cyril. Cyril dealt with me throught the arrangements and nothing was too much trouble for him. He always made himself available, fitting around my busy schedule and was always well presented. We probably had 4 or 5 meetings to finalise everything, plus a couple of last minute changes.
I have to say, I was concerned as it was a surprise event and one hitch could have ruined the whole thing. I need not have been on the part of Marygreen Manor, everything went so smoothly and I could not fault a single thing.
All the staff were excellent, but Cyril was outstanding - it's not often I get the chance to say that about anyone these days!!
The food was excellent. Every single guest commented on how good the food was and what a fantastic start to the Christmas celebrations our event was.
My heartfelt thanks to your staff and in particular, Cyril, for all your efforts.
I would certainly have no hesitation whatsoever, in recommending your venue for functions, to anybody.
Yours Sincerely, John Stroud - Ingrave.

• Stayed December 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to add your review to our listing. We were very pleased to read your positive feedback and, in particular, your kind comments regarding our staff. We hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

My husband book this hotel for my birthday as a surprise in Jan 2011. The room we had was the Catherine of Aragon suite and it was amazing. It was like an old fashioned type room and it was amazing. The food was excellent and as a vegetarian I was suprised to see so many options. The hotel staff are very helpful and polite. I went to a murder mystery night about 6 months ago and that was great fun. Again amazing food, very well organised and a brilliant night out.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. We were glad to hear you were pleased with our accommodation, food quality and the standard of service you received during your stay. Our vegetarian menu has been very well received since its introduction and I am glad you enjoyed the dishes chosen.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brentwood
De Rougemont Manor
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow
Orsett Hall
Orsett Hall
#1 of 1 in Orsett

Been to Marygreen Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!