“Murder Mystery Evening”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
London, United Kingdom
“Murder Mystery Evening”
Reviewed 13 December 2012

This was a Christmas meal with a twist. The twist being a murder mystery to solve during the evening. The murder was committed during a play and the victim was shot. There were 6 suspects and we were given various clues to work from and 2 opportunities to question the suspects. We managed to work out who the murderer was but only got 3 out of the possible 6 clues. The food was lovely and the service was excellent as always.

The one slight problem was that one of the flag stones outside the ladies tiolet was cracked and slightly raised so could have been a trip hazard.

Overall, we had a great evening and can't wait for the next one.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
london
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I have dined at The Marygreen Manor Hotel on numerous occasions over the past 10 years and have always found the restaurant/food/service to be excellent. I have taken guests, both friends and business contacts, who have been impressed.
I took my family to a murder mystery evening but found it disappointing. I have never been to this type of event before. My expectation was of a more Agatha Christy type evening. The event was staged by a group of actors and was based on nursery rhyme charcters, such as Humpty Dumpty, with a pantomime style of acting.
We arrived for 7pm as instructed but the Event did not kick off until 8ish - leaving us to sit around in the bar for an hour. The set meal which goes with the evening was OK and was served hot but
we found the proceedings quite boring and decided not to stay for dessert. At £50 per head plus cost of drinks not good value for money and didn't enjoy. In hindsight it would have been preferable just to have come for a meal with the family - at least then the meal would have been of a higher standard.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jhgfdsa
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I was showed to our apartment an felt like crying upon turning on the light, they are selling these flats as 3*!!! I wouldn't give it 1! Dirty old carpet greets you with pieces of furniture that were obviously picked up from the local charity shop. As I proceede down the hallway it only gets worse; old walls with markings on them as I go ino the bathroom the grout is all black in the corners under the showerhead. DISGUSTING! All of the decoration is from the early 80's and the curtains look like they have not been cleaned since then. The kitchen makes you wonder i you will pick up some sort of gastointestinal disease. As if it could not get any worse, walking into the sitting room the sofa and two armchairs have stains all over them as does the carpet! Will not be walking around even in my socks in this place!

The bedrooms are tiny and dingy with the master bed pushed up against a wall because, the room is so small, and i can only imagine if it will be myself or my husband with our face pushed up against the ditry, greasy wall.

I have asked for a different room and was shown another in the same state but on the third floor with no elevator and, anyone with a size 4 foot or larger would find it difficult to walk up and down.

So with no other options, I asked for the gentleman who showed me the alternative room to please have a look. He did not seem phased at all and told me that it was the grouting as if that was perfectly normal. I asked for someone to come and clean it and to be quite honest I think that they grabbed the newest employee and handed him a bucket, some gloves and some cleaning products. He took a look and told me that it was the grouting and he could do nothing about it. He called the front desk and, began to talk about our conversation as if I was not there. Very upsetting. He then told me he was leaving and someone would call me.

I received the phone call to go and look at two other rooms which were somewhat better. The decoration and antiques were nice but the experience of the other room had really tarnished my outlook and preception of the hotel. The attitude of the staff was appaling, having worked myself in the hotel industry, there was never once an apology or even a hint of it. That was more infuriating than anything. At one point I was told by Tibi that it was not his fault and I told him that I knew that but, his attitude was his fault an he just shrugged his shoulders. He honestly did not give a rats a...

I have received better service from far less superior hotels. You don't want your bum kissed but you sure want to think when paying £178.00 per/night it will be the second best to home away from home-NOT!! The Marygreen Manor needs to do some serious re-training off all of their staff in not only service with a smile but, that caring comes from within an it shows in the eyes when one doe or does not.

Well finishing this off perched on the edge of this sofa (that should be burned), I don't want to sit back because it really is that gross plus it is hard as a rock!! All I really wanted to do 1.5 hours ago when I checked in was shower! Completely drained after 4 days of packing and preparing to move my home and my family from the UK to Germany and this is what I am greeted with at The Marygreen Manor 4.5* and their apartments 3*. This should be revised. Unfortunately if you come to brentwood, it is either this hotel or the other one across the road-not to be desired either.

A possitive note, the afternoon tea is delightful.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Chukijani
Essex
Reviewed 7 December 2012

What a lovely relaxed afternoon tea, I took my daughter for a birthday treat.
Everything was so fresh and delicious, we will definantely be back. Trying to persuade my husband to take me there for a meal and stay over for my birthday fingers crossed !!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
uk
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I recently held a champagne afternoon tea party for my mothers 80 birthday having had my wedding breakfast at Marygreen some 8 years ago again i was not disapointed far from it the afternoon was a complete sucess .from the moment i booked the staff were exceedingly helpful Cyril helped me find the most appropriate room and made many helpful suggestions The actual tea party was excellent the staff were so efficient but also very friendly with a good sense of humour.and the food delicious .Since the party many guests have contacted me to say how much they enjoyed the ambience and food including one couple who run a catering company would definateley recommend and use again when the next family occasion comes along

Room Tip: The Samuel pepys room is ideal for small intimate functions
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
East London
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Stayed at Marygreen Manor for girls 'get together' after concert at Brentwood; really surprised how charismatic it was, spacious comfy rooms, very pretty gardens.
Staff helpful and polite, snacks requested for our return from concert were ready on arrival. Everywhere very clean, plenty of nice touches, like fresh fruit in rooms. Nice!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Spend a night at The Manor during a business trip, was quite a refreshing change from the standard, almost cloned, business hotels I normally stay at. The place looks like an old manor, the staff were lovely (I was only missing them referring to me as "his lordship" to complete the atmosphere :) ) , the rooms were spacious and inviting. We also had dinner and breakfast while we were there and it's certainly worth it. Had a good time, will come again next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Don't miss out on the full English breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brentwood
De Rougemont Manor
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow
Orsett Hall
Orsett Hall
#1 of 1 in Orsett

Been to Marygreen Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!