Marygreen Manor Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Austin Hotel(Hornchurch)
Devonshire Hotel(Hornchurch)
1,079 results
All reviewsafternoon teasamuel pepysgarden roomcakestudors restaurantcatherine of aragon suitelovely gardenlounge arealovely hotelwedding receptionwarm sconesfinger sandwichesmain buildingfour poster bedwedding nightspecial occasionour waiter
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel this weekend, as a friend was getting married nearby. My major gripe about this hotel was our room. The minute we walked in, we were overpowered by the smell of cigarettes. It was disgusting, and I have never experienced anything like it. Just to be clear, this did not smell like a couple of people had had a couple of cigarettes in it, more that this had been smoked in day in, day out for a number of years. We opened the window, got changed, and left for the wedding. When we returned 10/11 hours later, the smell was exactly the same (as it was the next morning when we got up).

When I was checking out, I made a complaint about the state of the room. I was then offered a discount for the room, which went some way to make up for the situation. However, when I explained that I had prepaid for the room, after a lengthy delay, I was told that they could not reimburse me the money they had offered - something to do with their 'end of day' accounts being out if they reimbursed me money. Instead, they offered me a voucher which could be redeemed on my next stay - completely useless as we are unlikely to stay in the area again, and will certainly not be staying in this hotel if we did.

Other than the cigarette smell, I would describe this as a distinctly average hotel. Whilst not rude, the staff were unhelpful with a poor grasp of the English language. For example, when we arrived for breakfast, we were brusquely told that there were no tables available, and that we would either have to wait or sit in the dark and dingy bar.

I am not normally inclined to writing on sites like this (I have once or twice written on this site before, but just to recommend spectacular hotels, rather than complain about others), but my experience here meant that I felt I had to. I would not recommend staying here!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Hugo L
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

I can't vouch for the accommodation as I visited for a meal but was so impressed not only by the food, but the wonderful service. I would definately recommend this gem of a venue. The atmosphere was lovely, the food probably the best I have ever eaten. It was expensive but I believe in this case you pay for quality.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Loupo22
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed here while visiting Essex for a friend's wedding. He booked us in here thinking that we Yanks could use a little "oldy worldy" place with some character. He was right. We were perfectly happy with our first garden-view room but upon arrival maintenance arrived to tell us the heat was leaking. Without a single word on our part they upgraded us to a small suite in the newer part of the hotel and it was lovely. Very comfortable, very quiet.
The food in the pub is grand. My husband is STILL raving about the Shepherd's Pie a month later.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank kate12NYC
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We were given a voucher for afternoon tea as a gift. I had no idea this gem of a hotel existed, and what a lovely surprise. Tea was delicious! Perfect sandwiches, lovely cakes, and amazing scones. The waiters were superb. Great atmosphere. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PeggyAnderson19
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Very positive experience for a first time business meeting held in the Samuel Pepys Room. Light and airy, fully equipped - refreshments very good. Staff very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. Will certainly look to using the venue again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business