“Restaurant-chain rubbish!”
Review of Chimichanga - CLOSED

Chimichanga
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Conjuring authentic Mexican and South American flavours, Chimichanga Brentwood brings a rustic Latin vibe. Boasting a vibrant cocktail bar, diners can also bask in the fantastic selection of wines and beers. Finished with an array of Mexican artwork and Aztec inspired features, Chimichanga is a unique South American eatery.
Reviewed 18 November 2013

As a nation we're doing a damn good job of dumbing down our food experiences and Chimichanga Brentwood does nothing to help the demise of a quality dining experience.

My daughter and I popped in one rainy lunchtime and were the only two diners for the hour that we were there. My first qualm is that we both had non-alcoholic drinks which were astonishingly priced at £2.95 each for a Coke and a diet Coke; free refills, not a chance as they serve glass Coke bottles. Now, I don't think it's worth arguing over fountain Coke vs bottled, but that is shockingly expensive for the equivalent of a can of Coke.

When it comes to the food element, the Prezzo restaurant group's interpretation of Mexican food is horrible and oriented precisely to the portion-controlled, chain restaurant lifestyle that these restaurant groups are foisting on the British public. What Mexican restaurant of any credibility serves a beef burger in a tortilla!?! If that's what your market research says that the British want, quit now! And the burger loving people, head across the street to McDonald's, that's where you get a burger, not a Mexican restaurant!

Having had a quesidilla filled with chorizo, I can only imagine that the ingredients were harnessed from a food service delivery and assembled by automatons rather than being freshly prepared by a skilled chef and their dedicated kitchen team. It was bland, flavourless and was pretty grim.

This assault on our high streets of poor quality imitation restaurants cobbled together by faceless restaurant chains needs to stop. We're becoming accustomed to such drivel and before we know it, the gastronomic delights of visiting a genuine restaurant will be lost to us because all we'll be left with is this sort of rubbish filling every high street across the country, oh wait....it already does.

It's time to eschew the chains people and seek out genuine local restaurants that prepare their food with skill, care and attention, and who are proud of their offerings.

1  Thank n1dom

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I visited this restaurant with my family last weekend for my dad's birthday, and my first trip to this branch. Before I went i had in mind that it was part of a chain,and wouldn't necessarily be top-class fare. Sadly, I wasn't disappointed. My cocktail - long island iced tea - was OK but lacking something... alcohol perhaps? Look, if you're going to order a cocktail you want it to have some effect, but this had no mood-altering qualitites whatsoever. I also tried another cocktail that my niece ordered - a blue concoction meant for sharing - and this too was lacking something.
Similarly, I found the food OK, a bit bland, but lacking. I ordered a pulled pork quesadilla (enchilada, schmenchilada, it was a floury wrap!) and it didn't taste as if it had been freshly cooked. The feedback I got from my family was more or less the same with their meals: all a bit blah. I would also say the meals were not reasonably priced for what we got and I would prefer to go to Wahaca where I find the flavours have more zing.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

The atmosphere here is ok, mostly thanks to the funky decor but that's all it has going for it. My daughter and i went for lunch, 2 mains & 2 cokes £55 !!! Over priced and bland. We both went for the sizzling platters and it was all veg and only half a dozen bits of meat/fish!!
Would not recommend and would def not go back.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We decided on a spur of the moment hunger pang that we would pop in to Chimichangas for a bite to eat.
Upon entering the restaurant we were quite impressed, it was very clean but thats probably because it is a fairly new establishment, the decor was nice giving a lovely ambiance. It was really busy and we looked around for someone who worked there to allocate us a table. But it was strange. We couldn't really see anyone....until a lady got up from sitting down at a table chatting to some customers she knew and showed us to our seats

Food was really nice and tasty/spicy and the table sauce provided (cholula hot sauce) is out of this world. But I was really disappointed when I found a longish blonde hair buried in between my layers of chilli bean and rice. At first I thought it was a stringy bit of cheese but when I pulled it out I realised it was hair! I didn't bother complaining and just ate around the area instead as you never know what they will do with your food if they offer to replace it! We did tell the manager upon paying and she offed us a drink but we were leaving and so didn't take her up on it.
Food could have arrived a little hotter in temperature to be honest as it was only warm and would have been nicer a little hotter.

To sum up, we will go again as food was quite yummy but only spur of the moment as we are aiming to visit every eatery in Brentwood in a year and now we've tried chimichanga we will now try somewhere else.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

This was my 3rd visit to the Brentwood restaurant & we thoroughly enjoyed it. The kids meals are fantastic, good quality food at a great price. Very child friendly. Nice clean toilets. Friendly staff. Tasty food(& cocktails) We will definitely go back again :)