“Standard fayre. Good value”
Review of Chimichanga

Chimichanga
Ranked #103 of 165 Restaurants in Brentwood
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Conjuring authentic Mexican and South American flavours, Chimichanga Brentwood brings a rustic Latin vibe. Boasting a vibrant cocktail bar, diners can also bask in the fantastic selection of wines and beers. Finished with an array of Mexican artwork and Aztec inspired features, Chimichanga is a unique South American eatery.
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We were on the way home and had seen two places we thought we'd try, but both were fully booked, so we went to Chimichanga. Always decent food if nothing amazing. Service good from a range of very attractive young ladies. Don't be fooled by the size of the place as there is also an upstairs, so it's way bigger than most. Great value. Full three course meal, drinks and a tip (for two of us) and we spent less than £60.
If the place you choose is full, you could do far worse than have this place as a back-up.

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Was pleasantly surprised by the food here and the service. Bit pricey avoid the cocktails as expensive. Fajitas lovely and recommend the sharing starters

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We went in there last night for girls menu is absolute bargain for good night out. For the money xmas menu was great!!!

Cocktails were brilliant.

Staff were great bit slow with payment but we enjoyed everything. The reviews do not give it credit, or justice!! definitely recommend.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

As a nation we're doing a damn good job of dumbing down our food experiences and Chimichanga Brentwood does nothing to help the demise of a quality dining experience.

My daughter and I popped in one rainy lunchtime and were the only two diners for the hour that we were there. My first qualm is that we both had non-alcoholic drinks which were astonishingly priced at £2.95 each for a Coke and a diet Coke; free refills, not a chance as they serve glass Coke bottles. Now, I don't think it's worth arguing over fountain Coke vs bottled, but that is shockingly expensive for the equivalent of a can of Coke.

When it comes to the food element, the Prezzo restaurant group's interpretation of Mexican food is horrible and oriented precisely to the portion-controlled, chain restaurant lifestyle that these restaurant groups are foisting on the British public. What Mexican restaurant of any credibility serves a beef burger in a tortilla!?! If that's what your market research says that the British want, quit now! And the burger loving people, head across the street to McDonald's, that's where you get a burger, not a Mexican restaurant!

Having had a quesidilla filled with chorizo, I can only imagine that the ingredients were harnessed from a food service delivery and assembled by automatons rather than being freshly prepared by a skilled chef and their dedicated kitchen team. It was bland, flavourless and was pretty grim.

This assault on our high streets of poor quality imitation restaurants cobbled together by faceless restaurant chains needs to stop. We're becoming accustomed to such drivel and before we know it, the gastronomic delights of visiting a genuine restaurant will be lost to us because all we'll be left with is this sort of rubbish filling every high street across the country, oh wait....it already does.

It's time to eschew the chains people and seek out genuine local restaurants that prepare their food with skill, care and attention, and who are proud of their offerings.

1  Thank n1dom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I visited this restaurant with my family last weekend for my dad's birthday, and my first trip to this branch. Before I went i had in mind that it was part of a chain,and wouldn't necessarily be top-class fare. Sadly, I wasn't disappointed. My cocktail - long island iced tea - was OK but lacking something... alcohol perhaps? Look, if you're going to order a cocktail you want it to have some effect, but this had no mood-altering qualitites whatsoever. I also tried another cocktail that my niece ordered - a blue concoction meant for sharing - and this too was lacking something.
Similarly, I found the food OK, a bit bland, but lacking. I ordered a pulled pork quesadilla (enchilada, schmenchilada, it was a floury wrap!) and it didn't taste as if it had been freshly cooked. The feedback I got from my family was more or less the same with their meals: all a bit blah. I would also say the meals were not reasonably priced for what we got and I would prefer to go to Wahaca where I find the flavours have more zing.