“Great afternoon tea” 5 of 5 bubbles

Afternoon Tea at De Rougemont Manor
Ranked #2 of 4 Coffee & Tea in Brentwood
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
“Great afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

One of the best afternoon teas iv been on loverly surroundings loverly staff . Afternoon tea the best felt special would go again thank you

Visited April 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Not one positive thing to say!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Ten of us booked for dinner to celebrate a birthday, the outside has recently been cleaned up and painted and it looks good, unfortunately the budget could not stretch to the inside. It is still like stepping back into time and has not seen a lick of paint for at least 10 years. The service was non existent, stale bread rolls served with no butter, although on the third time of asking some was provided. Wine ordered, they seemed surprised when asked for a ice bucket and once the first glass was poured for the rest of the evening we had to walk to another table to retrieve the bottle to top everyone up. Then the food arrived. pre ordered menu how hard can it be. Although presentation was not too bad food was absolutely tasteless, we did ask if they could change one meal as we did not realise the risotto was not a traditional risotto but was risotto balls, we were told our mistake as the menu did say "pane" which means breadcrumbs you silly people. We were then basically asked to get involved in a dispute between waiter and the chef as to whether the menu was clear. We asked if they could may be provide a traditional risotto and was told no, so in the end one of our diners did not eat a main meal! Dessert was provided by us in the form of cup cakes, which we asked them to serve on a cake stand. When we inquired why one was missing, they then admitted that they dropped it on the floor and was hoping we would not notice. Cant say the staff where rude but just seemed to lack any waiting skills whatsoever, and definately require training on how to provide a service, i seriously have had better at the local pizza express. Table of ten, one bottle of wine, a few soft drinks, dessert supplied by us, including "service" £30 a head. fast forward to 2am and my girlfriend was sick, coincidence? you decide. Seriously do yourself a favour keep driving and go to the local chip shop!

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank daniel d
essex
“Would not go back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

This must be the worst afternoon tea I have had. The sandwiches were tasteless , the white bread was like the value range from supermarkets, there was hardly any filling in the sandwiches, the cakes were average have had much better, not once did the staff come and ask if all was ok, if we needed more tea we had to wait to try and catch one of the staff which was not very easy. Would not go back for afternoon tea again .

Visited February 2014
1 Thank chrissy009
London, United Kingdom
“staff training needed in restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Dinner in the well appointed restaurant where food quality and presentation is to a high standard is severely let down by staff who do not know the meaning of customer service or attention to detail. Emergency lighting seems to provide (adequate) illumination in the restaurant but perhaps could be improved.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank iapowys
London, England
“I would go back but not for afternoon tea”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

My mother and I went here the other day using a groupon voucher. I telephoned a few days before to book it and unfortunately, it wasn't the best of starts. The receptionist asked me to "hang on a minute" but left me waiting for 11 minutes and I decided to put the phone down and ring again as I thought she had forgotten me. When I rang back and said I had been holding on I was offered no apology but she informed me that she did have four other people on hold. Even through this conversation she started to talk to someone else again with no apology when she came back to me.

Driving to the place was easy to find especially if you have a sat nav. They have a lot of signs up advertising a hand car wash and this is the way to drive into the car park. I did not see any other signs that said car park. A few meters along at the front of the house is for disabled parking.

The Manor is absolutely lovely from the outside and has lots of trees around. When we came into the house the two ladies on reception both looked up and greeted us and one of them took us into the bar area. The young man there greeted us and asked if we wanted to stay in the bar or go straight in for tea. We decided to stay in the bar area and sat on sofas which were right by a roaring fire which was great as it was very cold outside so we could warm up. We were given our pimms to drink and sat in front of the fire for a while. The young man was very pleasant and friendly and even offered to take a photo of us both.

We were then shown into the tea room which had a lovely view of the gardens. Do look up at the ceiling. They have black and white pictures on the walls of the manor house and it's former occupants.

White tablecloths with proper napkins, shame about the tea service used. They had three main categories of tea to choose from. The first was a variety of fruit teas. The second was a selection of green teas and the last was the traditional English teas and earl greys etc.

We were brought out a three tier cake stand. There were four finger sandwiches each which consisted of smoked salmon, cheese, cucumber and something else. I needed to actually look at it as I was unsure of the contents it looked like just a spread of butter. It was egg mayonnaise. Unfortunately, the bread was very thick and the egg was so thin on there that you could not taste it. There was some spicy crisps served with the sandwiches.

There were four different cakes and four scones - two fruit and two plain which came with a very small amount of strawberry jam and very nice clotted cream. The scones had been heated and tasted very nice. Unfortunately, it did not seem that any were hand made there but had been bought in.

As we only had one cake of each we cut them in half and shared them so we could get to taste them all. The cakes we had were a fruit tart, a runny custard tart with two raspberries on top, a chocolate fudge tart and a slice of lemon sponge.

If I had paid the £15 a head for this I would have been very upset. So many places are now doing good afternoon tea and I feel that this sadly is not one of them. The cakes especially have let this place down. Afternoon tea is an occasion even the cakes in John Lewis's restaurant are much more inviting.

Would I come back? Actually yes I would but not for afternoon tea. The menus they had on the table advertising valentines day and mothers day seemed very nice. I know the reviews for both the meals and hotel stays have been positive and the staff we met on the day were very friendly and polite.

This place is lovely, the setting, the grounds, the staff on the day. Get these small things right with the afternoon tea and the place would be onto a winner.

• Visited January 2014