“Disappointing”
Review of De Rougemont Manor

De Rougemont Manor
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I booked the hotel Restaurant for my mother's 90th birthday celebration. I was told we would have a round table but we got a long one which wasn't ideal for 10 people. The price for two courses was £16.95 when I booked and even after saying they would honour the price at booking they tried to charge me £19.95. The food is ok, the scallop starter consisted of one scallop cut into three which was overcooked and rubbery. The vegetarian pasta was dry, the lamb wasn't very tender and the pork loin was basically a pork chop! The service was poor. Two meals at a time came out with a few minutes between each. We had to complain about one missing meal and no veg. By the time the veg came out all our meals were lukewarm. Not much choice for veggies, and after sending me the menu for the day I booked they then changed it, apparently a new chef. Would I go again... very doubtful. Overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank cheg55
Sam B, Marketing Manager at De Rougemont Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Cheg55,

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to the Manor. I believe that since this review you or another member of the party has spoken to the team and as a result any issues were dealt with. I believe there was one of two communication errors which were resolved once brought to our attention.

Hopefully now you and the rest of your party would be more than happy to join us again and we can look forward to hearing what you thought.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Friends bought us afternoon tea with a groupon voucher. After an initial warm welcome by the reception staff we were introduced to our waitress who took us to our table situated outside the gents toilet, despite there being plenty of better situated tables available. We then noticed that ours, unlike other tables, had a glass top covering the white table cloth. We can only assume these tables were reserved for the Groupon customers. The tea was brought and can only be described as builders tea - no choice given.. No hot water and we had to ask for tea spoons. We were not spoken to again by any waitress and had to ask again for some more tea.
Do not be fooled by the pictures - the sandwich selection was very poor and cakes adequate. Was this all because we had a Groupon voucher I wonder !

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David V
Sam B, Marketing Manager at De Rougemont Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear David V,

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. We always welcome feedback, and take all comments on board and look at ways of improving our already high standards.

All our afternoon tea customers are treated with the same service and standard, Groupon or not, and as you can see from other reviews, and via comments on our website, and from thank you letters around the hotel, we normally only ever receive excellent feedback.

I have taken all your comments on board, and should you wish to discuss your review with us please do not hesitate to directly contact me.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here on a Sunday night with my husband who was on business. When booking the room I asked for a dinner reservation but was told the restaurant was closed on a Sunday evening but bar snacks would be available. Thinking that bar food would be burgers and chips we explored the area for somewhere to eat. Most of the eateries we looked at also closed on a Sunday night so I telephoned the hotel and asked for their help in finding somewhere to eat. I am not sure of the receptionist's name (think it was Natalie) but bless her she came up with some Italian restaurants close by with full menus which were handed to us on arrival. This was extremely thoughtful of her and much appreciated. However once in our room my husband looked at the bar menu and said they had fillet steak, pork etc., and rang reception to ask if these would be available on the night. Yes they were so we stayed at the hotel and were not disappointed. They set up a table for us in the restaurant and we had fillet steak (my husband) and pork for me along with a bottle of wine which was excellent. Service was very good and food piping hot. The room was quite small but comfortable but the bathroom was huge with underfloor heating. Lots of space to put toilet bags etc. The only niggle, which we reported to reception was the sound of running water all night long - leading to a not very good night's sleep. Breakfast was adequate - fresh fruit, cereals, fruit juice and cooked breakfast to order. My husband's bacon was good but mine was so hard I couldn't cut it. No reason to complain though as there was more than enough on my husband's plate for the both of us. My husband went off to his appointment after breakfast and I had a lovely walk round the grounds - we were blessed with lovely sunshine. Then I read my book in the very comfortable lounge until my husband's return. Staff very attentive and efficient. Thanks you for a very enjoyable stay and we will certainly visit again when in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tricia298

Dear Tricia298,

I'm so glad to hear what a fantastic recent visit you had. Indeed our food is lovely, and our Bar & Grill menu is very extensive with such a great range of dishes.

Again its great to hear how wonderful you found the service, and how attentive all the staff were. Hopefully we can look forward to welcoming both of you back soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We thought it would make a pleasant change to take afternoon tea in the nearby De Rougemont Manor. We were greeted and seated by friendly cheerful staff. The afternoon fayre was nicely presented in the traditional manner. However, the sandwiches were cold, as if they had been kept in refrigerator all morning rather than made minutes before being served and we were not made aware that a variety of teas were available. Regardless of this, we both enjoyed the food. We were a bit disappointed that tea was taken in a room that overlooked the main road and not where the view was of the garden. Would we go again ? Not too sure !

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Iain B

Dear Iain B,

Thank you for sharing your recent afternoon tea experience with us. I'm so glad to hear what a fantastic time you had with us.

We are always more than happy to accommodate any special seating requirements such as views, or higher/lower tables, and upon your next visit please do mention that you would prefer a view of the fantastic grounds.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I wanted to express my total satisfaction with a function organised for us on 3rd February. From the moment I met Davine, the Functions Manageress, I felt most reassured that she knew exactly what I wanted. After a unhurried discussion we chose suitable food/drinks for the occasion. From then on she always made herself available for my queries as they occurred..
It wouldn't have been that easy to judge quantities etc as our event was for quite a large
post-funeral gathering but she wasn't phased at all and was always open to my suggestions.
I am so pleased I have some photos of how amazing the food looked before it was devoured - it's presentation was very impressive and the quality excellent too.. Please do thank all the chefs. The waiting and bar staff also did a brilliant job - they were most attentive. I didn't see any empty glasses!.
And thank you to Davine, fo being so experienced and approachable to know exactly what I wanted. She got it just right. My Mum would have been very proud!
Thank you.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lisa F

Dear Lisa F,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm so glad to hear that we were able to help where needed and that you were more than satisfied with the level of service and how the day went.

We really do like to go above & beyond to ensure that everything goes so smoothly, and It's fantastic to hear you found this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Manor again soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

A group of ladies went to the restaurant on Monday 17th February, shown into a very nice room and given the menu to choose. We had our choices taken and after a short were shown to our table. A very nice room with several small tables. The staff were very attentive, the starters and main courses were served quite quickly, but we had to wait quite a time for dessert. In fact we got caught up with afternoon teas. On the whole, a very enjoyable lunch. Nice outlook and comfortable.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brenda S

Dear Brenda S,

Many thanks for sharing your recent experience with us. It's great to hear what a wonderful time you and the girls had when dining with us for lunch.

Hopefully it wont be long before we can welcome you all back, and possibly to try out Afternoon Tea to?

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I have recently delivered a very successful 3 day first aid training course at the De Rougemont Manor Hotel, and I have to say how impressed I was with the hotel and all the staff, As the training manager with Elas, I try to get out to deliver these courses as often as I can to evaluate the venues we use, so that when we find a good one, we use them again, and I have to say the De Rougemont is a great venue, Both the training room and the bedroom were excellent, the food was amongst the best I have tasted and this was backed up by some of my delegates who also made more than favourable comments regarding the food and the venue.
I have no difficulty whatsoever recommending this hotel for any event you have or just a stop over, I will defiantly be booking another event with this hotel.
Outstanding!
Mike Gibbons

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike G

Dear Mike G,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent conference held with us in the Garden Lounge Suite.

It's great to hear from a training manager that uses lots of different venues that you enjoyed your visit and would be more than happy to recommend us.

Hopefully we can look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Essex's Best Large Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brentwood
Marygreen Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Thorpe Bay
Pontlands Park
Pontlands Park
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow

Been to De Rougemont Manor? Share your experiences!