“Lovely afternoon tea”

and 1 more site!
Whitehall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Broxted
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This is the second visit to this hotel for a 'Buyagift' afternoon tea. The building is very old the restaurant has exposed beams and a large brick fireplace and we sat at a window table with the well kept garden in view. There is a good selection of sandwiches and cakes and the tea pot was kept topped up. This is a quaint hotel with bags of character and would recommend it, although we haven't stayed overnight, yet.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
KirkUpton, General Manager at Whitehall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2011

Thank you for your kind review. We are very happy that you had a good time at the Brook Whitehall Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kirk & The Team

Reviewed 21 August 2011

i don't know what all the fuss is about. me and my partner had a great stay here. the three course dinner was absolutely amazing. rooms were massive with nice views. can obviously hear the planes which were loud, but then you expect that as staying just down the road from the airport!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Kirk & The Team

Reviewed 27 July 2011

We booked in here so that we could have a nice dinner and a place to stay between Heathrow where we had been on a conference and home in Suffolk. We have a travel offer card where we can stay in hotels and pay for the food only. We had informed the hotel that one of us was vegetarian as they advertised vegetarian food if advised. Upon arriving, around 7.45pm we were greeted with the guy on reception's remark "Oh you are the vegetarian - there is always one!" But I let that go as we were tired, hungry and ready for a drink and dinner. he showed us to a room which smelt musty, all windows were open, presumably to mask the smell. The carpet was stained, the bedside lamps and telephone was covered in dust, there was a very large dead spider on the carpet in the bathroom, we complained and he showed us a different room which was only marginally better, but still smelt musty and was very dusty and old and tired - we refused to stay and ended up driving home - he did say they were slowly doing up the hotel but I couldn't bear to stay in either of the two rooms he showed us - the restaurant seemed to be busy but I wonder about the state of the kitchen if the bedrooms are not clean - would definitely not recommend this hotel at all - a very disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Don't stay here under any circumstances
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I stay at this hotel 3 days ago in the melboune room.We were attenting a party in the next village all nearby hotels were fully book this hotel looked promising .The hotel was easy to find with my sat nav .On arrival we notice the sign for brookhotelwhitehall looked worn and weather beat..As we appoach reception area the glass door appeared to have not been cleaned when we arrived in reception we were hoping to be greeted with a friendly smile but there was know one there we waited Five minutes and then we telephone the hotel to let know we were waiting <we notice whilst wating how dusty everything was even the computer screen was thick dust .finaly a man came reception he did say sorry for keeping us waiting.We were shown to our room Is was tied and dated.On closer inspection we notice three big water stains over the headboard thick dust under the bed and in the corners .The couch in the room was thread beard on the corners of the cushions.The bathroom was terrible cracks in ceiling very badly cleaned limescale in the toilet .Tiles had fallen off behind the toilet bowl and were left were they fell .One tile cracked on the floor .Skirting boards were rotten.And the bed was very uncomfortable i did not sleep and my partner went and slept in our car? If we had to stay there for more than one night we would Not stayed .On checking out we informed the lady were NOT happy with our stay and pointed out all the problems with the room and reception area including dusty computerscreen still there.My parents stayed in this hotel many year ago and said it was 5 star now for me Its a 1 star never again.

Room Tip: please see ask to see your room first and make sure the receptions stays with you so that you can bo...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank franky086
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Stayed at this hotel using a one night hotel and afternoon tea gift experience voucher. First I was impressed by the ease of using the voucher as I've found the bigger chains limit the available dates quite severely. We were also informed there would be a wedding before the room was reserved in case of noise but we went ahead anyway and barely heard a thing.

I'm usually one for the bigger chain hotels personally but this place was very cute and charming. The bedroom was absolutely huge and overlooked the beautiful gardens. There was a lack of staff as the few that were there was constantly running around but they were really friendly and attentive and cannot be faulted on the service they gave us. We were given a late check-out with no problems or extra charge and they opened the small bar for just the two of us because the wedding was going on in the other one.

The bed was comfortable, despite being two singles pushed together and had plenty of space, covers etc. The only slight complaint was that one of the hand towels had a make up stain on (it had obviously been washed and not come off) and there was a cereal bar wrapper in the bedside table drawer. I'm sure the staff would have sorted these things out but they didn't bother us that much and we were only staying one night.

The breakfast was enjoyable; a buffet style continental breakfast and juices plus choice of cooked breakfasts served to the table. They also found me some baked beans even though they weren't on the menu :-)

The afternoon tea: sandwiches could have been improved but were edible and the scones would have been nicer warm but the selection of cakes was good as was the tea and coffee.

The hotel is in the middle of nowhere so a car is a necessity but it's only a short drive to nearby villages.

Overall a lovely stay, greatly exceeding my expectations.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
KirkUpton, General Manager at Whitehall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2011

Thank you so much for your review. It goes a long way within the hotel when we receive complimentary comments concerning our efforts and both myself and my team are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2011

I stay in Whitehall frequently for work, and although the decor is a bit tired and rooms could do with work and redecoration in places, over all i find it very quaint and homely.
The staff are lovely and welcoming, the restaurant food is delicious and the restaurant itself is very pretty with its old beams.
I always enjoy my stays here, definitely worth a try if you're away with business and want to relax

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
KirkUpton, General Manager at Whitehall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

I have passed on your comments to all staff & heads of departments and they are all very happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Brook Whitehall Hotel.

Thank you once again for your review and I personally look forward to welcoming you all back to the Brook Whitehall Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2011

The only reason I rated this hotel as very good was because of the excellent attentive service we received from the staff on our recent stay. Where this hotel falls down is on some of the tired rooms/areas that need some investment by the owners. Our room was a lovely large room overlooking the garden, but the bathroom was in a very poor state. It wasn't just about the cleanliness really but also the wear and tear the room had endured meant there was only so much that could be done by cleaning alone. The "grubby" sealant around the bath and build up of limescale around the taps was very off putting. The carpets and the walls on the stair areas were also marked and stained which was a shame as the hotel itself is full of character. The "barn" type restaurant with its high ceilings and oak beams is lovely, and the meal we had in the restaurant was good "pub" food which was fine for our one night stay. Breakfast was fine, with a range of continental options as well as a cooked English breakfast too. The chain that owns the hotel should reward the excellent staff it has at the Whitehall by investing some money to refurbish some of the bathrooms and common areas and then it would be an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Having recently arrived at the Brook Whitehall Hotel, I have beend tasked with improving all areas of the hotels and we are currently beginning a refurbishment of the hotel. This we hope to finish within the next few months.

Kirk Upton

Been to Whitehall Hotel? Share your experiences!