“Hotel and staff gave a great new years eve dinner and party in a superb venue”
Review of Whitehall Hotel

Whitehall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Broxted
Benfleet, United Kingdom
“Hotel and staff gave a great new years eve dinner and party in a superb venue”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

A party of four wanted to try something different new years eve's so booked up for the party dinner and entertainment. On arrival hotel looked impressive but in need of a little tlc on the outside on being shown to our rooms we were impressed with the size. Some areas in need of refurbishment, others perfect. Food and service excellent, laid on music just right for friendly intimate party. Happy new year

• Stayed December 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 19 December 2011

booked into the hotel in between flights for 8 hours.
first thing i noticed was the carpets dirty and bits patch together and slightly musky smell of the room.
it was a cold night outside so the heating at first was great but as the radiator was so close to the bed it was unbearable and was unable to sleep,the radiator knob to turn it off didn't seem to have a affect.
cheap but wont be booking again

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Skytel
KirkUpton, General Manager at Whitehall Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2011
Thank you for your review of the Brook Whitehall Hotel. I was sorry to hear that you had issues with the heating in your room and general state of the carpets.

We are currenlty undergoing a soft refurbishment of the hotel and this should improve the issues you had with the carpets. In regards to the heating in your room, we have our maintenance department looking into this and they are currently examing the heating system in all rooms to ensure they all work as intended.

If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail please do not hesitate to contact me kirk.upton@brook-hotels.co.uk

Once again, please accept my apologies for the issues you raised and I hope to see you again in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I should never return to this hotel. I spent a night with my husband in this hotel and we thought as the room has been offerd is in an hostel. The managment of this hotel I think doen't feel responsible to offer decent guest rooms. I shall never return and please consider this feedback for further bookings.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca W
Thank you for your review of the Brook Whitehall Hotel. We always welcome reviews as it allows us to see what we do well and where we need to improve our services.

I was sorry to hear that you didnt enjoy your stay with us and do not wish to return. If you would like to discuss this matter further please feel free to contact me by email kirk.upton@brook-hotels.co.uk

kind regards

Colchester
Reviewed 17 November 2011

As it was our 2nd anniversary together, this was a perfect setting for a romantic dinner for 2, and beyond our expectations. Fantastic place as well as the hotel, which is 500yrs old. .The restaurant was oldy worldy, with origional oak beams. Plus we almost had the restaurant to ourselves, which made it lovely and quiet. Would recommend this to anyone. Great for a celebration ; ie birthday , or anniversary. Were hoping to go back their before christmas for xmas dinner.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

I have passed on your comments to all of the staff and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

kind regards

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I have stayed in a lot of hotels and I would say that this one stands alone in its sheer quirkiness and individual personality. If you want something very different to the blandness of corporate hotel chains then this is the one for you. The staff are superb and cannot help enough; although the style of service is more old British fashion than modern hotel. Don’t expect anything quickly or too be exactly right and you won’t be disappointed.

Staying at Brook Whitehall is like visiting a rich maiden aunt in the country, she lives in a beautiful Elizabethan house just oozing with character, strange corridors and odd crannies; but her beds are lumpy and its either really hot or really cold in the rooms. She tries hard but it‘s not quite there yet; you know though that you will come back and see her again because you love her.

That really is what the hotel was like for me; I was lucky that my room, whilst unique (the vaulted ceiling room number 11) had a perfect bed in which I enjoyed a good night’s sleep, despite being directly under the flight path of Stansted (and boy do those jets fly low). I was in a party of wedding guests and judging from the conversations the following morning I was the odd one out.

All the bedrooms seemed to suffer from the same malaise, extreme overheating with absolutely no control over heating other than to open the windows wide. For me this was not an issue, despite being at the front of the hotel, the planes did not wake me up, but I sleep pretty soundly. My fellow guests however had interrupted nights sleep. Equally with the bed in my room, I had a goldilocks mattress and it was wonderful; the others seemed to range from a marshmallow to a brick, one even spent the night on the sofa!

The food at the wedding reception was superb; chicken perhaps a little over done, but the vegetables and sauces for both starter and main were spot on. I only wish I could say the same for the breakfast.

It was disappointing to say the least. Especially considering just how good the meal the night before had been. I have had better in transport cafes.

It started very well visually with the usual array of juices and cereals on offer to help yourself from, with the promise of delights of an individual cooked breakfast waitress service to follow. None of that buffet (been on the hotplate way too long help yourself) style breakfast you see far too often in hotels today. No, this was all ordered individually; so imagine my disappointment when what came out was......the result of dishing up something that had obviously holidayed under a heat lamp for several hours. Tomatoes were dried out and the mushrooms had the taste and appearance of stewed fungi, which is of course what they were.

I did have a clue in that things would not be excellent when I sat down at my table and discovered it was on what appeared to be ball bearings and gimbals and was less of a stable eating platform and more a ride on loan from Disney world.

The piece de resistance was the coffee, now I love coffee, so if you can take it or leave it this won’t bother you, but trust me, if you love coffee you quickly realised this was not a breakfast room but a crime scene. The “freshly” brewed coffee was of the type that I have not seen for some time, it takes years of inexperience to produce such a bitter and horrible brew; the sheer overheating and stewing was an experience my mouth is still trying to get over.

But....do you know what? I loved it. Loved the hotel, its ambience and (excluding the breakfast) it’s food and its staff.

Providing you know what you are letting yourself in for (vis a vis the breakfast), quirky rooms with lovely staff and wonderful buildings I would recommend it. I shall be returning to sample the restaurants fare.

Room Tip: Lol, they are all so different, sorry cant help
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo

I was happy to hear that you enjoyed most of your time with us and had a good nights sleep.

Following your comments regarding breakfast I have spoken to the chefs and they have implemented changes to ensure breakfast is memeorable for the right reasons.

I am happy to hear that you will be returning in the future and look forward to meeting you.

Thank you again.

london
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We had Sunday lunch at this hotel and the food was excellent, the service was also excellent We were treated like royalty. . I would highly recommend a visit.
As we did not actually stay at the hotel , I cannot comment on the rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank nestar
KirkUpton, General Manager at Whitehall Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Thank you for your kind review. We are very happy that you had a good time at the Brook Whitehall Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.If you would like to stay overnight next time just let us know.

Kirk & The Team
Houston
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Was staying here through work thought the hotel was pleasant (at night) til I arrived inside and woke up in morning, characteristic.... Correct, clean NO!!!! I stayed in the "vault" where the smell of fustiness filled the air, major cobwebs filled the ceiling bathroom, the Beadie plug hole was blue as it had not been cleaned for a while, the toilet was brown not been bleached in a loooong time!!! Hair on my bed sheets hole behind pillow on wall dust coating everything especially behind the bed...... Nice having. Characteristic house but does not have too be filthy my work mates had frequent blue bottles landing on him through the night his room was shabby and not fit too rented out needless too say staff were kind but something out of faulty towers or house of horrors springs too mind a MASSIVE CLEAN UP AND UPGRADING NEEDED ASAP!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for your review of the Brook Whitehall Hotel and i am sorry you did not have the experience you expected. I can assure you that following your comments I ensured that the housekeeping team carried out a full spring clean of this room and I have also started on the maintenace issues.

We are currently undergoing a soft refurbishment of the hotel which should be finished over the next few months and will address the issue raised within the hotel.

If you would like to discuss your stay further please feel free to contact me directly kirk.upton@brook-hotels.co.uk.

Once again please accept my apologies for the issues you mentioned and I hope you can give us another chance in the future.

Kirk & the Team

Been to Whitehall Hotel? Share your experiences!