“How did this get any stars - let alone three! Dreadful”

Rothmans Bed & Breakfast
Rothmans Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 20 Chelmsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Problems from the booking through to breakfast. Nobody to greet us, The Regency Room was warm but very poorly furnished. A threadbare carpet over a very poorly sanded floor which was so uneven we felt drunk every time we stood up. The wardrobe and chest of drawers were 10inches apart at the bottom, but leaning together at the top! Inside the wardrobe were 3 bathrobes. One of which appeared dirty and was screwed up on the shelf. There were THREE slippers (not pairs, just three), all disposable types but all had bee used and may have been washed - or not. The chest of drawers had food crumbs in one of the drawers. The dressing table had a page from a 1999 newspaper in the bottom as a liner. The bedside tables didnt match in either design, colour or size. Very shabby, The bedding was also shabbly although appeared to be clean. The bed was very comfortable. The curtains would have been nice if they were properly hung. There is a snooker room above this room and we were kept awake until 1.30 am by people using the room. With a wooden floor on which they dropped the balls and clonked about, it was anightmare.
"Peter" was first spotted in the breakfast room holding my husbands cooked breakfast and wearing outdoor clothing i.e. jeans/fleece etc. He didnt look clean and tidy as you would hope. No welcome or "did you sleep well/is everything ok". My husband had almost finished his breakfast by the time mine arrived. The breakfast was ok but nothing special. No service - make your own coffee, toast your own toast etc. After we had eaten the plates were cleared and left in the corner of the room on top of the microwave for "later". We definitely wouldnt go again and definitely dont recommend it. How this place has been given three stars is beyond me. Unless of course it was 3 out of 15.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rothmans Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Just returned from a two night stay, what a huge dissappointment. Having looked closely at the B&B website, thought I had chosen carefully. We stayed in the Regency room which was made up of old odd furniture even the bedside cabinets did not match, one was a odd table. However, the biggest problem was calling the bathroom en suite a bathroom at all. The sink was a half a sink as that's all it could fit in, which had filled up with water but the time the hot water even got hot! The toilet you had to sit sideways or you hit the wall and the shower unit itself could only fit size 10/12 people in and then you kept banging your head against the unit! On top of this the towels were were given were so rought my skin hurt from using it, and had I been staying any longer would have needed to go out and buy some. On Sunday morning a cooked breakfast is served at 9.00 am. Having to go to a christening we asked for a slightly earlier breakfast like 8.30 am, not exactly crack of dawn. However, we were told no, we could only have the "help yourself buffet". We came down and saw this had an ancient toaster with very cheap basic carboard bread, butter was in a old butter dish with hardly any in it, what was there, had obviously had melted and then been put back in the fridge and was not very nice to look at! He had some packets of cheese in the fridge which had been opened and was all old and dryed up. It was alful. The breakfast room was smelly and dark and miserable. The second day we were able to try the cooked breakfast. However, despite "waiter service" for the cooked breakfast, we were still expected to make our own tea/coffee and horrible toast again, yet the nasty butter had still not been refilled fresh. The cooked breakfast was very bacic. Once the owner had put the plate in front of us, he went out the door and back to his own cottage next door, so had we needed something he just left us!

In addition, on the Sunday after our return at 4.00 pm, we were shocked to find the room had not been cleaned, nor had anyone been in to make the bed. I ended up doing it myself.

I should have known something odd was going on, as when I made my phone booking with the owner, instead of just a deposit being taken, he took the full amont for the 2 night stay, four months before we even arrived. I have never had this with a guest house before. Maybe he knew that once we had seen the place we were unlikely to want to pay up in full for it.

I have stayed in many small guest houses all over the country, never, have I stayed where I end up making the bed and cooking my own breakfast! Had I wanted that, I could have gone self catering, and stayed somewhere a lot nicer. Oh, and not even a single hanger to be had for your clothes!

If the owner wishes to stay in business he really need to take a hard long look at how he runs this place. Its like he has room in his house and will take money from guests without doing anything at all for them. My advise if you are considering a stay here, is DO NOT BOOK!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Allison I
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed in the Four-Poster room recently and was very impressed with the standard and quality of the stay. The room was traditionally decorated and furnished, with exposed beams and upright arm chairs that instantly made me feel welcome and cosey. The Proprietor, Peter, was enthusiastic and very warming, and made sure I settled into the room and understood everything I needed to know, such as the Breakfast schedule and other facilities on offer, like the use of the communal sitting room and full-size snooker room that was open for play to all guests. Although the Local shops and Pubs were certainly abundant in the village- not to mention inviting- my room had a large plasma TV and Sky, as well as an en suit and full tea and coffee making tray.
The breakfast in the morning was a full english and cooked ready for arrival which was a very unusual thing in most other places I'd stayed. I didn't have to wait and meant I could start the day faster and get into Great Baddow, a quiet and picturesque town.
The Bed was very comfortable and meant I had a very good nights sleep (I slept for 2 nights) and meant I was ready for the long trip home.
Overall, a very desirable place to stay of great value and comes highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 August 2011

This B&B is in dire need of a make over. Every room needs modernising. From the moment you walk in, there is a pungent smell of old carpets and grease. The bedroom we stayed in still had toe nails and hair from (the) previous guests, however many that was. Also the room didnt look like it had been properly cleaned in weeks because of the dust that had built up around the edges. The bare floor boards covered up by an old smelly rug didn't help either. The Walls were thin so could hear every noise possible from other people in the house. There was no ensuite bathroom, instead had to walk across the corridor past other rooms to get to it. Even then the bathroom was unclean and outdated. The toilet was still broken and the room just felt tired generally.

As you walk up the stairs onto the landing, you feel dizzy looking at the subsided floors and wonky walls which have obviously taken their toll in recent years.

The guest lounge come dining area was something you would expect at your old nans (and smelt like it too). The sofa was old and grubby as was the decor in the room.

The fry up in the morning was cooked properly but the ingredients tasted cheap.

The host, Peter, was pleasant enough and brought breakfast in on time. But to have guests return he definitely needs to invest more in modernising / updating some of the worn and dated items/decor. Please also consider hiring a new cleaner or at least inspect the work because it was awful!!

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Woodsy79
Reviewed 23 August 2011

This is the second time we have stayed at Rothmans as a precursor to the local V festival and a weekend of camping, and for the price you pay it's not as bad as is made out by some of these reviews.
The building is old and has plenty of character, the breakfast is good and kept me going most of the day, you do have to make your own tea and toast but this is a B&B not a hotel so is this really a worry?? No.
We have stayed in the Regency room on both occaisions and it is more than adequate. We were surprised and pleased to find an en-suite on this visit which wasn't there last year and whilst it needs a few finishing touches, and again when you are only paying £33 each per night, it's really good value. The towels are rough, but there are signs that say help yourself to fabric softened ones if you would prefer, so I don't really see the problem. Peter is really friendly and, even though we arrived later than anticipated this year, made the effort to say hi.
We'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2011

This was the most interesting B&B I have stayed in in a long time. But interesting not in a particularly good way.
Firstly we were told our en suite wasn’t ‘finished’ and had to use the bathroom down the corridor – that I can live with. And when I saw the non finished en suite I was a little surprised as it really was ‘work in progress’. The loo and ‘basin’ were installed – although no loo roll, but the shower was just a box and the floor was splinters of wood – as my feet testified.
If you don’t come down for breakfast at 9 am (this was a Sunday) Peter – our host – would leave it out for you to warm in a microwave – hmmmm. So we managed to get up for breakfast and no, it wasn’t worth the effort as it was, to me, inedible.
The exterior of the house is lovely – trailing wisteria. The gardens could be lovely if Peter didn’t think the local playgroup were going to show up and use everyone of the toys left haphazardly in the garden.
Our room (the Regency) was actually fine, big and spacious. And when I saw the ‘Four Poster Room’ of a fellow guest I was impressed – it was beautiful and rather elegant. The towels and robes had exfoliating properties – eg raw sand paper.
We paid just £62 for the night, our single friend in the four poster – with working en suite paid just £39! As a fan of ‘three in a bed’ (Channel 4 b&b comparison programme) I would have unpaid Peter £20 for our room but would have overpaid him for the four poster.
It’s a shame – Rothmans has potentially to be a stunning b&b. A few tweaks here and there – new bed linen, towels, furnishings, a garden tidy up, would make it simply wonderful. Plus perhaps a new chef for breakfasts. But as it stands, this falls below standards and comes with a ‘must do so much better’ tag.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lulujack
Reviewed 21 March 2011

A lovely old building but could do with alot of tlc!!The room we stayed in on apperance looked nice but on closer inspection it needed a good clean!!As also the bathrooms,they looked like they hadnt seen any cleaning products for a long time.These were not en-suite.
Breakfast was served on time (full english)but you had to make your own Tea/Coffee and toast if required.There was a selection of Cereals and cold meats and cheeses.There was only one table set out for guests to use,this sat up to Six people.
The chap that ran the bed and breakfast seemed very nice but i think the place is lacking those little extras that make alot of difference.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends