“Rothman's - a charming B & B and excellent value!”

Rothmans Bed & Breakfast
Rothmans Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 20 Chelmsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 March 2013

A delightful quirky period house with a lovely lived-in feel, so different from multi-storey hotels with their identical rooms and unwelcoming atmosphere. The rooms are all different and have their own individual homely charms. Easy on-site parking. Generous breakfasts cooked to suit guests' tastes and the prices are very reasonable. I use Rothmans several times a year and have never been disappointed!

Room Tip: 'Fourposter' room is large and airy and has very pleasant views that overlook the garden.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Rothmans Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 9 March 2013

A charming property and charming host. Just the kind of place I like to stay. It has bags of character, history, authenticity and a feeling of home. If you gravitate towards the sterile impersonal experience of national chains, you're missing out.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Fairview537, Owner at Rothmans Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Ewan

Thank you very much for posting this review - we do often get some very positive responses (2 at breakfast this morning, even!) but of course people are too busy or not registered with Trip Advisor.

What I particularly appreciate is that you picked up on what we try to achieve - I do try to welcome guests*, I love the quirky mongrel character and history of the 400-year-old house, wanting to share that, and I just want people to relax, coming and going as they please.

Also, as you I don't want to be like a hotel! (standardised, and not "homely")

*but I may be out with my kids or shpping - guests are able to get in with codes

Peter Aspbury, Proprietor

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Having seen the 3-star tourist rating for this historic house, we were hoping for something a bit special. The bed-linen was super - but that's about as far as any degree of excellence went. Medical debris in the drawers of the room, fluff in the corners, long hairs over the bedside lamp, basic shared bathroom was bad enough. The serving of the breakfast was an embarrassing farce, the cereals in disgusting plastic containers and not enough juice or tea for everyone. The owners seemed to think we all wanted his children's nursery play equipment all around but we didn't. However, this was a couple of years ago - and you may find things have improved as it still has its Tourist Board 3-star rating! But more recent reviews seem to confirm, alas, no improvement.Please do not believe the review that gives this place 5 out of 5 on all 6 categories - it just ain't true! The wonky floors and un-level walls are part of this place's olde worlde charm - but the owner, Peter, who lives there just doesn't understand standards expected of him by his visitors and it needs someone to spell it out to him that providing accommodation like this lowers the tone of the whole country to foreign visitors, too.

We are about to visit this area again in March 2013 and so looked to find a B&B only to see this place still there with its 3-star rating - and hoped it might have been refurbished etc. but, reading more recent reviews, obviously not! We will find somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Rogaron

I'll try to address your points in order. Can I first say that it is very out of date? We have addressed all the issues - we do provide feedback forms for all guests and welcome their suggestions.

Of course, I do accept that people will have different priorities and I will return to this at the end

Good to read that you thought the bed linen was super

On the cleaning - I now have 2 extra cleaners, doubling up on Fridays and Mondays, and each ot the 7 days is covered (a sign of their commitment). The new lead cleaner, Wendy, is excellent, house proud and energetic.

On breakfasts - the cereals are indeed in transparent, airtight plastic containers and by my choice. As a degree scientist, I realise the need to keep them crisp and dry and fresh. Transparency helps people make their choices from the large array of cereals on offer. There are 3 teapots and a (sealed) tea caddy....To provide for a variety of tastes, there are herbal teas (much appreciated by some). Also, I always put out a jug of juice and there is extra juice available in the fridge underneath. Again, I seek to keep the juice fresh.

Naturally, not everyone will want to use the numerous items of children's play equipment! Just a month ago, the foreign child of a family was delighted to be let loose. And very many children play in the garden

Thank you for acknowledging the "olde world charm"

In the 2 years since your visit, we have had 2 inspections and we do have the 3 star rating on merit. At great expense, but with due attention to the heritage character, 2 double bedrooms have become en-suite. The twin bedroom has its own bathroom/toilet (no shared bathroom). Again, at great expense, a full fire alarm system has been installed. New leather classic armchairs and other furnishings have been bought.

Finally, I appreciate that Rothmans may still not be your "cup of tea". For my part, I have continued to upgrade in all sorts of ways, informed by guest feedback, which I must say is largely extremely positive with many regularly returning

Kind Regards

Peter

Reviewed 29 October 2012

Problems from the booking through to breakfast. Nobody to greet us, The Regency Room was warm but very poorly furnished. A threadbare carpet over a very poorly sanded floor which was so uneven we felt drunk every time we stood up. The wardrobe and chest of drawers were 10inches apart at the bottom, but leaning together at the top! Inside the wardrobe were 3 bathrobes. One of which appeared dirty and was screwed up on the shelf. There were THREE slippers (not pairs, just three), all disposable types but all had bee used and may have been washed - or not. The chest of drawers had food crumbs in one of the drawers. The dressing table had a page from a 1999 newspaper in the bottom as a liner. The bedside tables didnt match in either design, colour or size. Very shabby, The bedding was also shabbly although appeared to be clean. The bed was very comfortable. The curtains would have been nice if they were properly hung. There is a snooker room above this room and we were kept awake until 1.30 am by people using the room. With a wooden floor on which they dropped the balls and clonked about, it was anightmare.
"Peter" was first spotted in the breakfast room holding my husbands cooked breakfast and wearing outdoor clothing i.e. jeans/fleece etc. He didnt look clean and tidy as you would hope. No welcome or "did you sleep well/is everything ok". My husband had almost finished his breakfast by the time mine arrived. The breakfast was ok but nothing special. No service - make your own coffee, toast your own toast etc. After we had eaten the plates were cleared and left in the corner of the room on top of the microwave for "later". We definitely wouldnt go again and definitely dont recommend it. How this place has been given three stars is beyond me. Unless of course it was 3 out of 15.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Just returned from a two night stay, what a huge dissappointment. Having looked closely at the B&B website, thought I had chosen carefully. We stayed in the Regency room which was made up of old odd furniture even the bedside cabinets did not match, one was a odd table. However, the biggest problem was calling the bathroom en suite a bathroom at all. The sink was a half a sink as that's all it could fit in, which had filled up with water but the time the hot water even got hot! The toilet you had to sit sideways or you hit the wall and the shower unit itself could only fit size 10/12 people in and then you kept banging your head against the unit! On top of this the towels were were given were so rought my skin hurt from using it, and had I been staying any longer would have needed to go out and buy some. On Sunday morning a cooked breakfast is served at 9.00 am. Having to go to a christening we asked for a slightly earlier breakfast like 8.30 am, not exactly crack of dawn. However, we were told no, we could only have the "help yourself buffet". We came down and saw this had an ancient toaster with very cheap basic carboard bread, butter was in a old butter dish with hardly any in it, what was there, had obviously had melted and then been put back in the fridge and was not very nice to look at! He had some packets of cheese in the fridge which had been opened and was all old and dryed up. It was alful. The breakfast room was smelly and dark and miserable. The second day we were able to try the cooked breakfast. However, despite "waiter service" for the cooked breakfast, we were still expected to make our own tea/coffee and horrible toast again, yet the nasty butter had still not been refilled fresh. The cooked breakfast was very bacic. Once the owner had put the plate in front of us, he went out the door and back to his own cottage next door, so had we needed something he just left us!

In addition, on the Sunday after our return at 4.00 pm, we were shocked to find the room had not been cleaned, nor had anyone been in to make the bed. I ended up doing it myself.

I should have known something odd was going on, as when I made my phone booking with the owner, instead of just a deposit being taken, he took the full amont for the 2 night stay, four months before we even arrived. I have never had this with a guest house before. Maybe he knew that once we had seen the place we were unlikely to want to pay up in full for it.

I have stayed in many small guest houses all over the country, never, have I stayed where I end up making the bed and cooking my own breakfast! Had I wanted that, I could have gone self catering, and stayed somewhere a lot nicer. Oh, and not even a single hanger to be had for your clothes!

If the owner wishes to stay in business he really need to take a hard long look at how he runs this place. Its like he has room in his house and will take money from guests without doing anything at all for them. My advise if you are considering a stay here, is DO NOT BOOK!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Allison I
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed in the Four-Poster room recently and was very impressed with the standard and quality of the stay. The room was traditionally decorated and furnished, with exposed beams and upright arm chairs that instantly made me feel welcome and cosey. The Proprietor, Peter, was enthusiastic and very warming, and made sure I settled into the room and understood everything I needed to know, such as the Breakfast schedule and other facilities on offer, like the use of the communal sitting room and full-size snooker room that was open for play to all guests. Although the Local shops and Pubs were certainly abundant in the village- not to mention inviting- my room had a large plasma TV and Sky, as well as an en suit and full tea and coffee making tray.
The breakfast in the morning was a full english and cooked ready for arrival which was a very unusual thing in most other places I'd stayed. I didn't have to wait and meant I could start the day faster and get into Great Baddow, a quiet and picturesque town.
The Bed was very comfortable and meant I had a very good nights sleep (I slept for 2 nights) and meant I was ready for the long trip home.
Overall, a very desirable place to stay of great value and comes highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 August 2011

This B&B is in dire need of a make over. Every room needs modernising. From the moment you walk in, there is a pungent smell of old carpets and grease. The bedroom we stayed in still had toe nails and hair from (the) previous guests, however many that was. Also the room didnt look like it had been properly cleaned in weeks because of the dust that had built up around the edges. The bare floor boards covered up by an old smelly rug didn't help either. The Walls were thin so could hear every noise possible from other people in the house. There was no ensuite bathroom, instead had to walk across the corridor past other rooms to get to it. Even then the bathroom was unclean and outdated. The toilet was still broken and the room just felt tired generally.

As you walk up the stairs onto the landing, you feel dizzy looking at the subsided floors and wonky walls which have obviously taken their toll in recent years.

The guest lounge come dining area was something you would expect at your old nans (and smelt like it too). The sofa was old and grubby as was the decor in the room.

The fry up in the morning was cooked properly but the ingredients tasted cheap.

The host, Peter, was pleasant enough and brought breakfast in on time. But to have guests return he definitely needs to invest more in modernising / updating some of the worn and dated items/decor. Please also consider hiring a new cleaner or at least inspect the work because it was awful!!

• Stayed: August 2011