“Rustic weekend stay”

Rothmans Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 19 Chelmsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Booked in for 1night with our 2 Labradors
This is a 400 year old property (so expect some slight sloping floors) Peter made us all very welcome
Excellent breakfast and a very friendly atmosphere
Good parking facilities at the side of the house
2 pubs that serve food within a few hundred yards (We went to the White horse)
Good food and drink

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim G
Fairview537, Owner at Rothmans Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Thanks
I like people to feel at home but enjoy a unique heritage house too.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Peter made me very welcome but that was not quite enough to cover the state of the house. Stained paintwork, grubby carpets, broken and chipped tiles in the bathrooms, water stained showers are not as welcoming as a big smile, unfortunately.
You get into the house and the room by a (different) coded lock, and need to remember the number each time you leave the room to go to the bathroom or downstairs.
Lovely breakfast, served promptly at the appointed time, but the communal butter dish was full of someone else's crumbs. Everywhere was just a bit sticky and needed a good clean, especially the carpets. You can hear every single person in the building as they move about and children play, floorboards creak and pipes gurgle. My single bed was very soft, with a bottom sheet made of t shirt material, which was interesting if rather well worn. Sharing a bathroom is a risk. Especially if they do not seem to be aware that they are sharing and leave the basin and loo so nasty and used towels all over the place. Ugh.
Shame, since this is a lovely house in a great location.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Agalady

Just a quick word to say that we long ago fully responded to the comments (see recent reviews and reviews on our website)

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, used as base for nearbyfamily wedding. Lovely setting, beautiful old house. Made evry welcome, relaxed atmosphere. Wonderful cooked breakfast. Allowed our dog to stay with no problems.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Your appreciation much appreciated

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed on my own for 1 night prior to attending and exam early next morning in Chelmsford. As such I didn't see much other than the inside of my room and the bathroom and was unable to stay for the full breakfast.

The room was old fashioned and comfortable with just a single bed, wardrobe, desk, freeview TV and tea & coffee. I chose the smallest, cheapest room and found it perfectly accommodating for my requirements. The bed was exceptionally comfortable.

Bathrooms are not on-suite. However, the were two shower rooms with toilet plus a separate toilet available on my floor and this proved more than adequate. The showers could do with a descaling but otherwise clean and maintained.

I left before a cooked breakfast was available in the morning so cannot comment. However, there is a full range of cereals, cooked meats, bread, yogurt, cheese plus toaster, microwave and coffee machine available for a self service breakfast. A couple highlighted that the floor had not been cleaned since the day before, but otherwise all the plates and cutlery appeared clean.

Parking is available next to the guest house. However, weekday daytime parking is limited.

I found the B&B provided the facilities I required and I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Thanks

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I chose the guest house because of reviews saying how charming it was - and I guess, with a bit of housekeeping it could be - but the dirt - oh my goodness.
The carpet in my room had not been vacuumed before my visit and the level of dust was awful - the curtain pelmet was thick with dust and the bathroom had thick mould all over the sealant. God knows when the bath mat was last washed - it appeared welded to the floor so I kept my flipflops on for the whole visit.
Without doubt the host is lovely and offers a wide range of breakfasts. Once again, though, the dining room was really dirty - my cutlery had bits of dried on food stuck on them and I struggled to find a clean knife - and everything looked like it needed a wash at 60 degrees.
I am fussy but setting that aside the whole place was really below standard and sadly I cannot recommend it. I notice in an earlier post that Peter mentions that he has hired a cleaner. If he has, they should be sacked as the whole place is below standard. If it hadn't been for the lovely man running it, I would have given It a 1.
Be aware that creaking floors will disturb you - I was woken up at 6am on both mornings by people moving around and the door to the bathroom is almost impossible to open and close because it sticks on laminate flooring.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mandabedford

A pity, and you may have caught us when the cleaner was off sick. We now "overclean", if anything with extra staff. As you will will see from reviews here and on my website, there are no issues - 5 star (mostly) and 4 star responses

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We booked on line, and after staying in the Thomas James in Leamington, were a bit bothered. The owner e mailed us his number and upon arriving, we rang it, and he met us at the car park. Helped us with the luggage, and ran over the security. Milk in the fridge for us to help ourselves (We both hate UHT milk) Room big clean and bright. Bathroom assigned to us across the landing, but you could sail the QE2 in the bath. Floors slope slightly, but the house is over 300 years old. Stairs both wide and easy to climb. Yes, we will use again if in the area.

Room Tip: Nice (Old) pub just a short walk from the B&B.