“Gem of a hotel/pub/restaurant near Boreham House & Stanstead Airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lion Inn

Lion Inn
Ranked #2 of 22 Chelmsford B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Gem of a hotel/pub/restaurant near Boreham House & Stanstead Airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

My husband and I were guests of this lovely hotel/pub/restaurant for 2 nights when in town for a friend's wedding (which was held at nearby Boreham House). We arrived late on a Thursday night, very jet lagged and tired, and found our standard-sized room to be a welcomed oasis.

We stayed in room 14 which was decorated beautifully and a very decent size. It also opened up to a small courtyard outside (although it was too cold to go out and enjoy). The bed was simply amazing -- super comfortable. The shower was powerful and the bathroom large with huge towels, lovely shampoos and shower gels. Staff were very helpful (for example being flexible with our late arrival and helping us to put gifts in the bridal suite for the bride and groom). Unfortunately we didn't have time to try out the very large attached restaurant/pub (which was a shame as the food looked very good at reasonable prices). However, we did enjoy breakfast (whch was included in our room rate). The full English was cooked fresh from scratch and there was plenty of yoghurts, fruits, juices and croissants to enjoy. In addition, the kitchen was happy to cook a simple bacon sandwich or porridge if desired.

If I had to be critical of anything, it would be only two small things:

1) The lack of WiFi throughout the hotel was inconvenient. Although the hotel provides hard-wired internet access free of charge to guests, not having WiFi in rooms (it's supposedly available in common areas but we tried several times and couldn't connect) is annoying, particularly given the number of people who carry tablet and smartphones.

2) Perhaps room 14 isn't the most ideal for those seeking total peace and quiet. It's located on the first floor right at the crossroads of the main entrance door, so it gets quite noisy at night and in the morning, when guests are going to and from breakfast.

Other than those small niggles, this is a fantastic hotel for guests of nearby Boreham House (a 3-minute drive or 10-minute walk away), or those wanting a hotel near Stanstead airport which is very 'non-airport-hotel' like.

We'd stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Perhaps room 14 isn't the most ideal for those seeking total peace and quiet. It's located o...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
jmirams, Manager at Lion Inn, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Thank you for posting your review.

Your positive comments regarding the welcome of our staff and hotel are very much appreciated. Providing a genuinely warm atmosphere is a basic principle at The Lion - and it is good to know we are achieiving this aim.

The 'niggles' have been very fairly reported, thank you. We are looking into the connectivity problem in order to rectify.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

My boyfriend and I went for a meal here the other evening and I have to say that it is the best meal that I have eaten in a very, very long time. Everything was faultless from the moment that we arrived. Both of us are fans of real ale and the person who served us was able to advise us on the 6 real ales on offer. To start we ordered the vegetarian platter- beautifully presented and a great variety of items, including bubble and squeak croquettes and a goats cheese tart. For my main course I had a filo parcel with butternut squash, spinach and stilton. This was accompanied by a ratatouille and sweet potato chips. Again the meal was well presented and cooked to perfection. We also ordered some onion rings on the side. The batter was perfect and I have never seen onion rings so big. I was very full at this stage, but I could not resist the baked pavlova with a plum compot for dessert.

For starters, mains and a dessert for two people, along with 4 pints, the bill came to £55. I consider this good value for money considering that the food was faultless and the service was absolutely excellent. I am trying to think of a special occassion so that I can visit this place again! I highly recommend a visit.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
jmirams, Manager at Lion Inn, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Thank you for your review.

We couldn't be more pleased that you enjoyed your time with us so much..... don't wait for a special occasion, you can pop in for a light lunch or early dinner any day of the week.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

Visit here weekly and have done for ober two years, always find the staff very pleasant, polite and attentive, have never had any problems, food is always superb. Draft house wine is also excellent. Only complaint if I have one is that they don't serve the full menu on a Sunday but I fully understand why. The complaint about rude staff is so far from my experience.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Rob062
jmirams, Manager at Lion Inn, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Thank you for posting your review.

We are always appreciative of customers taking time to post a review particularly if they are highlighting something we have done well.

It is even more satisfying to hear from regular customers that we a continuing to maintain our standards of customer service and food quality.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Margate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

I attended a family lunch here on Tuesday 8th January. We arrived a little early so my sister and I went to the bar to order some drinks while we waited. My sister said hello to the barman and I asked if they sold wine by the bottle. Because I hadn't added to the greeting my sister had already made I was treated to a tirade about manners by the man behind the bar. I noticed that a colleague was quite surprised by this attitude and intervened. I refused to be served by the very rude barman so his colleague took over. I was by now a very put-out and embarrased customer and having tried to gather my thoughts asked if it was possible to buy a bottle of house wine. The new barman suggested it would be cheaper to purchase a litre carafe as this worked out cheaper so I agreed. He asked what I wanted so I said the cheapest. He said was the Pinot alright, to which I replied in the affirmative. On later looking down the wine list I noticed that the Pinot was £4 more expensive than the house wine - which was what I asked for.
Having sat down to await the rest of our party we were again berated by the original waiter/barman because my sister had not kept the piece of paper we had been given with our booking time on it on display. Fortunately before he got too confrontational the rest of our party arrived.
Although the meal itself was fine the attitude of the staff we encountered on our arrival spoilt what should have been a happy family occasion.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank chrisdel51
jmirams, Manager at Lion Inn, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Thank you for taking time to post your review. I can only express my sincere concern and offer an unreserved apology at the manner of your greeting. I can assure you that it is an attitude we do not subscribe to and will address.

I am obviously relieved that we were able to salvage at least some part of your dining experience with the quality of our food.

I would, however, support the staff member who tried to provide you with the cheapest house wine option. We serve a Pinot Grigio or a Sauvignon Blanc as house wines of which the Pinot is the least expensive and when purchased by the carafe, rather than the bottle, is the best value option.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

First trip to the restaurant and what a throughly enjoyable experience it was. No wait for a table (it was gone 3pm though). Attentive staff, have never seen so many waiters and waitresses in one establishment before! Food was excellent, the pork belly cooked to perfection, and my handmade burger was delicious. Our 14 month old daughter loved the duck fat chips and mummys chocolate torte! The restaurant itself is huge and felt very festive and cosy. We will be back.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank emma7982
jmirams, Manager at Lion Inn, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Thank you for taking time to review your recent visit to us and provide such positive comments.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

We stayed here on 01st December and booked all 15 rooms for family for our wedding. The hotel rooms were great and the service and food at the restaurant was brilliant. We really enjoyed the stay and the breakfast the next morning was great. in fact we couldnt eat it all as there was so much. All the rooms were great and staff brilliant.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
jmirams, Manager at Lion Inn, responded to this review, 21 December 2012
Thank you for such a fabulous endorsement. We are very pleased that we helped to make your day one to remember.

Cornwall, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

The Christmas menu is very similar to last year, pork terrine starter needed more seasoning and was rather bland, the Christmas dinner was like a school affair with a pale sausage. The fish dish very salty, creme brule - give it a miss completely.

The place itself is welcoming and staff very good I wouldnt go by choice again unless I could have the non festive menu.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
jmirams, Manager at Lion Inn, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
I am sorry to learn that you did not completely enjoy your recent visit.

Christmas menus often look familiar as they contain all the favourites customers expect at this time of year. I am sure if you are a regular visitor throughout the year you will notice many less familiar dishes on our specials boards.

I would urge you under similar circumstances to draw staff attention to any food issues so that we can act rather than react to ensure you leave us a satisfied customer.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking time to post a review and for your otherwise positive comments.