“Lovely food and atmosphere”
Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Ranked #189 of 379 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Went for a meal for our Anniversary, really enjoyed our meal, service was very good I would recommend this pub

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I wrote this to the management (the date was actually 4th January 2012):

I am sorry to have to write to you, but I have perused your website and there does not appear to be any facility for electronic communication.

My partner and I ordered a simple meal at about 1630 last Wednesday 28th December 2011 and enjoyed a drink. Fish and chips for me and sausage and mash for my partner were served promptly; the fish was excellent for a budget meal, but the sausages were burnt black and had an unsavoury smell consistent with their condition. The black sides had been hidden in the mash! My partner discarded the meal half way through and did not want to make a fuss, but I pointed out the problem when the waiter cleared the table.

This was the meal:I included a photo of badly burned sausages which is shown below!

There was no subsequent response when I paid the bill and left. Arguably one might not expect much when the second meal costs £1, but inedibility was a bit of a surprise.

I will be grateful for your observations and will be happy to receive them by email.

I also copied this email and photo to head office and received no reply to either!

Please avoid at all costs!!!!!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Dropped in for a pint while waiting for a lift back from the station.

It's a while since I've been here but the ales were as good as I remembered. Choices of milds, bitters etc - it really does do real ale very well.

And then I had to listen to several customers using most of the known swear words to each other while engaging with the lady serving. No consideration that the language was completely unnecessary and actually offensive.

So on the outside and because of the beers this is a decent pub I would return to. It might just have been the night I was there but the atmosphere was of a down market chain pub with the clientele to match.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We have been here a few times in the last 2 years and have often been disappointed and totally underwhelmed. I’m surprised I have written a review before, but rest assured it wouldn’t have been very complementary.
This time we went on a Sunday evening, so not too busy, but we were surprised with the much better level and speed of service, which is now what you would expect from a local eatery.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Visited last weekend for late lunch on a sunny afternoon. Service was good and my order was taken with no problems. Lunches arrived and my steak sandwich looked lovely. I was disappointed that the granary bread was dry (as though left out uncovered for too long) but edible all the same and it wasn't so bad I felt the need to send it back. However, y partners black and blue burger came out without the Stilton and believing this to be an oversight by the kitchen it wasreturnedto the bar staff who apologised and chased up the chef. We were astonished moments later to be told that the chef advises they're out of Stilton - and would my partner like cheddar instead? Not really a black and blue burger then is it?! And on the menu the other cheese is £1.00 cheaper - ok not a major issue but as my lunch was sat in front of me waiting to be eaten my partner felt obliged to not cause a fuss and just settle for the cheddar. What i find the most bizarre thing is that the chef clearly knew they didn't have Stilton and didn't advise us before sending the lunches out. Had they hoped we wouldn't notice the blue cheese burger had no such filling??! Not particularly cheap either, sandwich and burger and drinks x2 at over £20. Wouldn't eat here again, but would stop in for drinks as good service from the bar.