“Shocking”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 September 2013

As customers who have visited this restaurant regularly for the past 10 years, we are extremely dissapointed regarding our recent visits as the restaurant has gone dramatically down hill. This review is based on our most recent visit in september 2013, where we left feeling utterly disgusted at our experience. Firstly, upon ordering drinks, we were told that 2 drinks displayed on the menu, they no longer had, so after changing our drinks order, we placed our main meal order also. We had no problems with our main meals, but dessert orders were a different story. Again, hardly anything on the menu was actually available, and with 2 family members being forced to change orders again, we settled with one 'apple crumble pie', two 'tropical sorbets' in replacement for the fat free sundae, and one 'sticky dicky pudding'. Firstly, we have visited this resturant for many years now, and in all our time here, the 'apple crumble PIE' has always come as a slice of pie, as detailed in the menu, which myself and my nan did not like, as we prefer a normal apple crumble, so we ordered alternative dishes. Upon arrival of desert the two 'sorbets' resembled what i can only describe as slop. Clearly these had been sitting around for a while and had melted, and also, the 'apple crumble pie' came up as a normal apple crumble. This had obviously changed since our last visit although the menu still refers to a PIE. My father would have preferred a pie, whereas myself and my nan would have preferred the crumble, which we would have ordered had we have known it was a CRUMBLE and not a PIE. As the waitress 'Vicky' came past we bagan explaining our issues, to which we recieved what i can only describe as the worst customer service i have ever experinced. We began by asking for two more sorbets as ours were completely melted, to which her response was 'That's how it is.'. No apologies or anything. We were startled by this response and had never been spoken to in such a terrible way before. We responded by saying we have had many sorbets at many other restaurants in our time and none had been like slop. She then went on to bring out another scoop of sorbet in a bowl as if to prove a point, where she continued to be rude. At this point we declined the sorbet and instead asked for our money back. We then complained about the 'apple crumble PIE' which was now an apple CRUMBLE. To which her response was that they have always been that way. Which was wrong for a start as we have had many apple crumble pies, before that have come in pie form. So we said she must be mistaken as we ourselves had had the pie there before. Her response to which was 'Well i've worked here for six months now and its always been this way' which we felt was extremely rude, as we had been only a few weeks prior and had the pie. She went out of her way to belittle us and i can honestly say this was the worst example of 'Customer service' or should i say lack of, that ive ever experienced. I AM ABSOLUTELY APPAULED AND WILL NOT BE RETURNING.

2  Thank Dark-Rose-95

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Ate there with friends for whom this was their first visit. We have been a few times and treat the place for what it it: somewhere to eat when you don't want to cook for yourself and you fancy a nice pint or two. The food is straightforward and I have never had a problem with it. The beer , especially the IPA, is always first class. Ordering from the bar is often slow as they don't seem to have many staff.

Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Went for a meal for our Anniversary, really enjoyed our meal, service was very good I would recommend this pub

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I wrote this to the management (the date was actually 4th January 2012):

I am sorry to have to write to you, but I have perused your website and there does not appear to be any facility for electronic communication.

My partner and I ordered a simple meal at about 1630 last Wednesday 28th December 2011 and enjoyed a drink. Fish and chips for me and sausage and mash for my partner were served promptly; the fish was excellent for a budget meal, but the sausages were burnt black and had an unsavoury smell consistent with their condition. The black sides had been hidden in the mash! My partner discarded the meal half way through and did not want to make a fuss, but I pointed out the problem when the waiter cleared the table.

This was the meal:I included a photo of badly burned sausages which is shown below!

There was no subsequent response when I paid the bill and left. Arguably one might not expect much when the second meal costs £1, but inedibility was a bit of a surprise.

I will be grateful for your observations and will be happy to receive them by email.

I also copied this email and photo to head office and received no reply to either!

Please avoid at all costs!!!!!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Dropped in for a pint while waiting for a lift back from the station.

It's a while since I've been here but the ales were as good as I remembered. Choices of milds, bitters etc - it really does do real ale very well.

And then I had to listen to several customers using most of the known swear words to each other while engaging with the lady serving. No consideration that the language was completely unnecessary and actually offensive.

So on the outside and because of the beers this is a decent pub I would return to. It might just have been the night I was there but the atmosphere was of a down market chain pub with the clientele to match.