“Noisy. Aaargh!”

Best Western Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Chelmsford
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Got upgraded to a better room which was very decent. Interior of the hotel surprisingly good given the horrible exterior. But got no sleep because of the noise from other guests that went on until 5 in the morning despite complaining twice to reception.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed at the best western on 25/05/13, we booked an "executive suite" which cost £90 I would of hated to stay in a normal room if ours was executive there was a really loud air conditioning unit that woke us up the king size bed was two singles pushed together!!! there was a coffee maker but the way it was positioned you could not plug it in without a fight and the cups didn't fit underneath the nozzle and to make matters worse once we had checked out and gone home I checked my bank statement and was debited £75 I called the reception and they advised it was smoking in the room charge!!! this was not mentioned at check out I was given the general managers e-mail address he only replied to me after the third e-mail when I also copied the customer service e-mail address, I was disputing the charge and we did not smoke in our room the reason they assumed we were is the fact there was tobacco on the seat and desk, I advised my partner smoke roll ups and would of rolled them there to smoke OUTSIDE, but again had not reply so a £90 room that we were not happy with cost us £165, the hotel is hard to find and isn't that great, I would definitely not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katy B
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two nights over the Bank holiday weekend visiting family in Essex. The hotel was good and the room was a reasonable size. The place was very clean. The beds were very comfortable. Very good location for the station which takes seven minutes walking. The restaurant attached to the hotel was very good.Tried it out on the Friday evening.Very good. We were on the third floor which was not a problem but there is no lift. You can have breakfast at an extra charge but we were out early so did not have breakfast here. Car parking is included. The main shopping area is close. Very good hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NorwichExplorer
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stayed at the Best Western Atlantic recently, whilst visiting the first beer festival at the Chelmsford Ale House nearby.

Have previously lodged at this hotel before some time ago and I remember it was a nice stay, hence the reason to book again. Arrived early evening and was checked in quickly, the receptionist also offered us the Wi-Fi details (which were free), so I thought this was a good touch. We had a room on the second floor, which overlooked the car park, but there wasn't much noise, even though there is also the main road close by. Our room was a twin and a decent size, with bath/shower en suite, TV and air conditioning.

We did not opt to eat at the hotel during our stay, so cannot comment on the food, but I understand the breakfast was an extra supplement. It certainly smelt nice in the morning!

The Atlantic was ideally placed for where we needed to be that evening, as the station is only about a 10 minute walk away. The town centre is also the same distance, but using a slightly different walking route. Much better placed than the Travelodge at the Army & Navy roundabout, which I've stayed in before.

Had an exceptional nights sleep and checkout in the morning was easy. We paid £70.00 for the night, which seemed to be about the going rate for a twin room in the area.

If you're looking for a base in Chelmsford, with free parking and walking distance to the town centre, look no further than the Atlantic.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I had an early start (had to leave by 05.45) followed by a long day so wanted to get a good night’s sleep, should have slept in the car!!!

First challenge was how to get into the car park, I stay in a lot of hotels and work in the security industry in the end had to dump the car and go and ask the staff.

Check in was OK for me but the lady before me had a young child (about 7) and a large case and when informed she was on the first floor and there was no lift!! She was left to struggle up the stairs with a large case and a tired child.

Room was OK for what I paid (hence 2 out of 5) from about 9 PM it started, drunken idiots banging ion doors, doors slamming, shouting and it didn’t stop (not the same people) all night.
My guess is that the hotel attracts this type of client, when I expressed my disappointment to the receptionist he said he had spoken to them (obviously didn’t do much good) and blamed some boxing match in London!!! He [the receptionist] also stunk of booze.

I also had to turn of some sort of aircon/heater in the room which was massively noisy.

I should qualify that I am not a light sleeper or sensitive to “normal” noise but this is without doubt the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in.

I had room service which was OK although the lentil soup left something to be desired.

I would have expected more of a Best Western

Room Tip: Don't book without a sleep quality Gurantee!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Sandy B
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Have been staying here now for a few nights a week on business over last few weeks with a few more visits to come. Found hotel to be very good indeed. I read some of the comments prior to my visit and agree with the majority that the staff are very friendly and the food in the restaurant is well priced and of a good standard. Room was bigger than average and well equipped. Check in/out quick and painless and front of house staff very approachable and polite. Minor criticism is that the main stairwell carpet and decor is a bit jaded and the corridors a bit dark- but that is the only criticism i have. Additional plus points lots of towels, shower is very good and the room was very clean. I spend a lot of nights away in the south east and London areas and have to say that this is one of the better hotels i have stayed in.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I stayed here for one night with a friend after attending a wedding nearby.
The service was great, the reception staff helpful and check-in was quick.
The room itself was clean and comfortable but considering the rate it was a lot more basic than I would have expected. We actually paid a reduced rate due to the wedding but I think the normal rate is pretty extortionate for what you get- I'm going to compare this to a Premier Inn again, as I do feel they set the bar with basic hotel stays but very reasonable rates. This was very similar to a Premier Inn, but double the price.
The walls must have been paper thin as you could hear every noise in what seemed like every room along the corridor. It was hard to sleep due to babies crying, birds outside, people moving around, doors banging.. but the beds were comfy at least!
Breakfast was very average but again the staff were attentive and helpful.
I've said it before and I'll say it again- for this type of travel, you're best of just going for a Premier Inn!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
The County Hotel
Pontlands Park
Pontlands Park
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow
Premier Inn Chelmsford (Springfield) Hotel

Been to Best Western Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!