“A little let down by the restaurant...” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
BEST WESTERN Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Chelmsford
Oldham, United Kingdom
“A little let down by the restaurant...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed here recently whist on business with work.
The hotel is nice and clean, room was great, just what i needed, good shower, bed, tv, iron etc.
I had a meal in the restaurant which was OK, they seemed very short staffed and only had one guy on the bar and a single lady in the restaurant, it did seem a little busy for a Tuesday evening so maybe they were caught off guard a little?
The staff forgot me at first, i could see them looking at me, puzzled as to why i was sat down for so long and not eating... then it clicked and they realised that they sat me down and completely forgot to take my order (i waited 20 mins to order a drink)
The meal i had was fine except the soup (which was apparently Minestrone), was terrible, they forgot me again (waited 30 mins to order my starter) and as i was sat opposite the kitchen i could see the chef going mad because they must have ran out of soup but because they had took my order then decided not to tell the chef (i waited another 35 mins for starter) he made a fresh batch which was literally some chopped up carrots in water with some congealed oil sat on the top... seriously.. it was diabolical. The staff also messed up with my main meal by giving the guy next to me, the dish i had ordered and giving me, his! He didnt notice by the way! he looked at it when they put it in front of him with a bemused look, i could see him thinking "did i order this?" it was quite comical as i had clearly overheard him ask for a rare steak yet he was confronted with the chicken in breadcrumbs, i cant say i was suprised when i was presented with.... yes you guessed it..... a rare steak!
I couldn't help but laugh but hey the steak was fine......
In retrospect i probably should have mentioned it to them but i was afraid that my complaint would have been more trouble than it was worth.
They did redeem themselves with a decent breakfast so ill let them off!

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Beverley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed here on business during a very rare occasion - A British Heatwave!
The hotel had an interesting decor and was very hot in the corridors,
The room was spacious and very clean and had an air conditioning / Heater unit in the room which was a bit noisy, the second night I switched it off and opened the window, didn't do much good as a thunderstorm developed!
The bed was a double and hard with a sag in it on one side
The Hotel is handy for the city centre and has a barriered car park

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel, not been to Chelmsford before. Hotel was very easy to find and is within walking distance of the train station. I stayed in an executive suite & it was lovely, very clean & tidy. I would definitely stay here again & I would definitely recommend it to friends and family.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Coventry
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Great location for work and from the exterior it looked fine.
Check in was efficient, the interior was clean, receptionist very welcoming.
The corridors are very dark with pink lighting which I liked so I hoped the rooms would be the same but they were not.
The room was very big but a bit soul-less, lots of wooden shelves, the white duvet on the bed didnt add any colour. The bathroom was clean and spotless.
Room service menu very basic so I ate in the restaurant, although not cheap the food was fantastic so I would definitely recommend eating at the restaurant.
Breakfast was ok, buffet options ok.
Check out - receptionist was very engaging.
I would return but it wouldnt be my first choice, nothing majorly wrong but a splash of colour in the rooms to match the funky corridors would top it off.
May be being a bit fussy but staying at lots of hotels you get to know your likes and dislikes

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

I used to stay at the Atlantic a lot with work and having changed jobs I returned after about a year.
The staff are great, they really try to make your stay a positive one. The room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was made to order and great quality.

• Stayed June 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Got upgraded to a better room which was very decent. Interior of the hotel surprisingly good given the horrible exterior. But got no sleep because of the noise from other guests that went on until 5 in the morning despite complaining twice to reception.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Chelmsford hotels

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed at the best western on 25/05/13, we booked an "executive suite" which cost £90 I would of hated to stay in a normal room if ours was executive there was a really loud air conditioning unit that woke us up the king size bed was two singles pushed together!!! there was a coffee maker but the way it was positioned you could not plug it in without a fight and the cups didn't fit underneath the nozzle and to make matters worse once we had checked out and gone home I checked my bank statement and was debited £75 I called the reception and they advised it was smoking in the room charge!!! this was not mentioned at check out I was given the general managers e-mail address he only replied to me after the third e-mail when I also copied the customer service e-mail address, I was disputing the charge and we did not smoke in our room the reason they assumed we were is the fact there was tobacco on the seat and desk, I advised my partner smoke roll ups and would of rolled them there to smoke OUTSIDE, but again had not reply so a £90 room that we were not happy with cost us £165, the hotel is hard to find and isn't that great, I would definitely not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple