“Spot the Hotel!!”

Best Western Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Chelmsford
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Ok, so I was unlucky - it was a dark, wet miserable Sunday night, and I didn't see the teeny-weeny brown sign pointing down a side road, indicating where the entrance to the hotel is.... so it took me ages of going up & down the road, before I finally detected the way in - the sign for the restaurant was a real help! If you are going there, it's on the right hand side, about 100 yards up New St as you travel towards the Anglia-Ruskin University. - Turn right off New St, then follow the sensible-sized signs for the hotel.

So to the Hotel itself - I didn't pay the premium for the Executive room, but the one I had was plenty big enough. Nice big bed with a firm mattress, which suited me, but might not suit others. Clean on-suite with Shower-over-the-bath (mains pressure, not power shower, but fine anyway) large flat-paneled TV fixed to the wall with Tea/Coffee making kit (no bickies!) - Bottle of water by the bed was a nice touch.

The Hotel (Italian) restaurant was fine - being a Sunday they were far from busy, but were operating to 10pm for late arrivals - Very useful for me as the M25 had been murder as usual. There is a smallish bar within the restaurant area, but with a fair sized seating area adjacent. - it has a good range of draft beers/wines etc, so no deficiencies there.

Staff throughout were obliging, helpful and friendly.

So on balance - Dinner / bed / breakfast cost around the £120 mark, no complaints, a reasonable provincial hotel experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Mm what can I say friendly reception staff could not say the same about the restaurant.
Good was mainly fish and far to intricate for a best western hotel no burgers or more every day food.
The worst pat was the lack of attentiveness from the staff it was not busy sat there with my finished dinner plate for 30 minutes for desert where I decided I would wait no more .
Went to give them my room number and the reason I would not be having desert. NO RECOGNITION AND NO OFFER OF AN APOLOGY
SHAME RESTAURANT STAFF LET DOWN THE HOTEL

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Mattyuk2509
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I think that the Best Western marketing banner can present some pretty mixed hotels, some a little tired. This one, just down the road from the famous Marconi's factory, where the first radio broadcast was made, is modern, funky, spotlessly clean, and all you ever need as a business traveller. Check out the Dali faces on the ground floor. Groovy. I didn't try the in house Italian, but the menu looked good. Going back there next time I'm in Chelmsforf

Room Tip: There are a few rooms on the 3rd floor which is a little further away from the traffic. It's on...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed over the bank holiday weekend. On arrival we were upgraded to an executive room which was a pleasant surprise. The room was lovely, clean and comfortable with an air conditioning unit that we switched off during the night because it worked so well we were freezing. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to please. The restaurant was brilliant, the breakfasts were lovely and we stayed in for one evening meal that was very nice but a bit expensive. Cheaper options can be found in town that is a 5 min walk. The WiFi was a bit disappointing but all in all it was an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I have stayed here for 3 nights and the hotel is in a good location close to the centre of town. the staff are very friendly and the rooms are of a good stadard and so is the cleaning of the room. The lonly slight down side for me was the wifi would drift in and out so you couldnt always connect. The breakfast in the hotel is very good with plenty of choice. The meals in the evening and expensive for what you get. In summary and great located hotel and I would stay again if in Chelmsford.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We have now stayed twice at the Atlantic Hotel in Chelmsford. The hotel is just a 5 minute walk from the high street in Chelmsford. There is free parking just outside and it is easy to find.
The reception staff are friendly and helpful.
We have stayed in both a standard room and an executive room. To be honest there is not a great seal of difference between the 2 types of room as both are spacious and comfortable .In the executive room there is a coffee machine but there are coffee/tea making facilities in both types of room.
We didn't use the hotel restaurant as we were so close to the town centre and there is a good choice of good restaurants nearby. We didn't have breakfast as service doesn't begin until 8 am on a Saturday and we needed to leave at 8.15 so we didn't have time.
That would be my only disappointment as overall we have enjoyed our stays there and will use this hotel again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Maria P
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed here recently whist on business with work.
The hotel is nice and clean, room was great, just what i needed, good shower, bed, tv, iron etc.
I had a meal in the restaurant which was OK, they seemed very short staffed and only had one guy on the bar and a single lady in the restaurant, it did seem a little busy for a Tuesday evening so maybe they were caught off guard a little?
The staff forgot me at first, i could see them looking at me, puzzled as to why i was sat down for so long and not eating... then it clicked and they realised that they sat me down and completely forgot to take my order (i waited 20 mins to order a drink)
The meal i had was fine except the soup (which was apparently Minestrone), was terrible, they forgot me again (waited 30 mins to order my starter) and as i was sat opposite the kitchen i could see the chef going mad because they must have ran out of soup but because they had took my order then decided not to tell the chef (i waited another 35 mins for starter) he made a fresh batch which was literally some chopped up carrots in water with some congealed oil sat on the top... seriously.. it was diabolical. The staff also messed up with my main meal by giving the guy next to me, the dish i had ordered and giving me, his! He didnt notice by the way! he looked at it when they put it in front of him with a bemused look, i could see him thinking "did i order this?" it was quite comical as i had clearly overheard him ask for a rare steak yet he was confronted with the chicken in breadcrumbs, i cant say i was suprised when i was presented with.... yes you guessed it..... a rare steak!
I couldn't help but laugh but hey the steak was fine......
In retrospect i probably should have mentioned it to them but i was afraid that my complaint would have been more trouble than it was worth.
They did redeem themselves with a decent breakfast so ill let them off!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
The County Hotel
Pontlands Park
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow
Chelmsford Serviced  Apartments
Travelodge Stansted Great Dunmow

Been to Best Western Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!