“Terrible experience”

Ranked #94 of 403 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Eagle is a grade II traditional pub, situated in the village of Galleywood, close to Chelmsford.
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Really gone down hill over the last few years, but certainly since the newest land lady.
The staff look rough and quite frankly like they hadn’t washed in a while, as well as the land lady.
The land lady was the cook the last time we went in there, so it’s probably why she is obviously not a peoples person or a manager.
We visited it because it had entertainment, it was empty other than 5 of us, but the singer was good, that’s why we stayed.
The moment we got in there the land lady said ‘I looked funny because I thought you were a couple that had caused trouble in here’. I explained we had never caused any trouble and we hadn’t even been in for a year and we carried on drinking and chatting I thought this obviously was a case of mistaken identity.
About 3 hours later after spending a load of money the land lady came up to my husband and said I won’t have you talking to my staff that way and told us to leave. We were shocked because the only conversation we had with the staff were to order drinks.
They opened the door and through us out, it was extremely shocking behaviour and really not what you would expect after spending money in there, very strange.
I will say I had heard some stories like this before going in there, but thought nothing of it. Well I should have listened to those stories.
Terrible landlady shame because it once was a great pub.

Reviewed 10 February 2018

We were in the area and took a chance and stopped for lunch. We were not even sure that they would be serving lunch on a Saturday but we had a 2 page menu to choose from.

I am a fussy vegetarian so I was not expecting much. I've often been served the Quorn frozen version of something at a 300% markup. Here I ordered the vegetarian lasagne and was very pleased, they actually make it! I spoke with the pub landlady (Tina) after the meal, she makes her food fresh in batches, it's all homemade. Their veggie lasagne has lentils so it is their own version, not a package.

My other half had the chilli con carne (non-veggie) and said it was delightful.

We felt the pub offered a perfect local experience. The food was lovely, the beer and wine that we had was great. Everything was clean and tidy, what we'd expect for a Saturday lunch visit. I noticed that the landlady was prompt and efficient in serving customers.

If you're looking for a local Chelmsford village experience, I'd highly recommend The Eagle. I am planning to go back to try their veggie Sunday roast as it isn't great to find one locally, so high hopes for their nut roast.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

We meet friends here some Tuesdays and what a pleasant surprise it was to find the menu had changed from a choice of about 5 main courses to an extensive menu. I had homemade lasagne, chips and garlic bread, my husband had beef bourguignon with mash and veg and our friend had ham, egg and chips. There was plenty of everything, and everything was hot and well cooked. Looking forward to going back.

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

Looking locally for a nice eating place and decided to try the Eagle as it was under new management. Friendly staff but tired looking furniture inside and with so much of it and only a few customers it made the place feel very empty and cold.
Tried the bar food , burger and chips and scampi and chips in a basket. Burger was stone cold ( probably left standing while the chips cooked) but then some of the chips were uncooked in the middle !!!!!!. Scampi was ok but no lemon or garnish.
We were hoping for somewhere to go for Sunday lunch but unfortunately this is not the place.
With so many pubs frequently changing owners It would appear that local pubs with good food cooked not microwaved, with pleasant surroundings and friendly staff are becoming a rarity in Chelmsford.

Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

This was the first time we had been in since the new ownership, and it was a standard Sunday pub lunch experience. The pub was busy when we visited, so service was quite slow, and there was one person on the bar taking both food and drink orders. The service throughout our time there made us feel like we were an inconvenience. The lady who brought our food out didn’t actually speak to us at all. Given that this is a local pub I was expecting it to be a more personal experience. The food was standard Sunday roast, no disasters-no fireworks.