“We enjoyed our stay apart from sofa bed”

Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Chelmsford
Reviewed 21 March 2011

We have just returned from a two night stay at The Ivy Hill. My husband, adult daughter and I shared a room which was clean and well decorated. My complaint, is that when I booked over the 'phone I was told the room would have a double and single bed in it. I booked it on this basis, but on arriving we discovered there was a double and a sofa bed. The sofa bed wasn't made up and there were no sheets for it. The staff brought up some sheets and made up the bed, but it was rather uncomfortable and not what we expected for the price we paid. (You get more comfortable extra beds in a family room at a Travel Lodge ! ) We felt that the hotel had not allowed for the extra person even though we had paid extra. We had to ask for an extra cup and were not given enough milk for three people.
We also had to ask for more toilet paper as it was not replenished when the room was serviced and then we were given only one!
Overall, it is a lovely hotel (although the stair carpet has still not been replaced and the corridors could do with decorating) The room would have been fine for two people but the third was not catered for.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank teddy528783

Reviewed 10 January 2011

Friendly and comfortable with good, personal service and an enjoyable meal

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank cozanddave
Reviewed 20 September 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Ivy Hill after a meal at a restaurant nearby, Bartellas. We had to settle for a twin room as the doubles were all fully booked but the appeal was walking distance from the restaurant. The evening reception staff were very pleasant and the room was spacious, nice and clean and fully equipped. We had a lovely nights sleep in very comfy beds with nice cosy duvets.

Breakfast was a little disappointing, especially after the quality of our evening meal. The staff appeared quite grumpy and unhelpful and rather than seating us just told us to find a clean space, of which there weren't many. The entire breakfast was self service and of reasonable quality but nothing special.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CLMorgan
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I was booked into this hotel by our company's travel contractor prior to a meeting in Chelmsford the following day. It was pleasant enough.
Check in was slow, due to only one person on at the time I arrived (4:30pm) and a difficult pain of a customer ahead of me. Once dealt with she apologised for my wait.
Room was a decent size but I'm fairly unfussy, so long as the bed is good and the bathroom clean. Both fit the bill nicely.
Evening meal in the restaurant was excellent although a little pricey. Probably just about worth it. Breakfast in the morning was good and done to order so I got my bacon nicely crispy and baked beans were not foisted upon me.
Check out was easy.
Car parking was ample.
Grounds of the hotel were rather lovely but somewhat spolit by the A12 noise.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Just got back from a 1 night stay at the Ivy Hill Hotel. Our room was very clean and nicely laid out. We had a double bed and a put up bed for our son. We ate lunch in the bar area, which was fine, although a little bit too pricey. £6.50 for a fish finger sandwich. Not really much choice for lunch I didn't think.
In the room there were tea and coffee making facilities. However they forgot to put any milk on the tray, still a little mistake. Breakfast in the morning was great, lots of choice and everything was nice and hot.
Would recommend a stay here if in the area. Nice hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2010

The Bester Western Ivy Hill Hotel is a hidden treasure, fantastic Hotel, welcoming staff amazing bedroom, service value for money couldnt fault it and am surprised that it is only a 3* I am used to staing in 4* plus Hotels and was apprehensive but I need not have been as the BW Ivy Hill is equal to if not better than many of the 4* I have stayed in! well done.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I stayed with a girlfriend at the Ivy Hill for 3 nights during vFestival. The hotel is in some nice grounds, albeit very near the very busy A12 (this could be due to the festival traffic, though). The reception area and bedrooms looked very nice, the staircase had very old faded carpet, I guess the refurbishment wasn't completed yet.
We had an executive room which was very comfortable and spacious. The bed was very good, although why it had a 10+ tog feather duvet in August beats me.
During the festival the only food served was their "vFestival menu" which was essentially carbs and oil (sandwiches, deep fried food, etc.). There was not a single healthy alternative. Breakfast, however was plentiful and included a very delicious fresh fruit salad and some of the best sausages and bacon I have eaten in a while.
On a map the hotel appears very close to the festival venue, however, the entry for non-camping ticket holders in completely in the other side and it took over an hour to walk to those gates. In the evening there are no taxis going to the hotel as the police closes the roads leading back to the site, so taxis have no way of getting back.
Overall I would recommend this hotel for visiting the area, but for vFestival, stay in Chelmsford. Despite what it looks like on the map, it's actually a shorter walk and safer as there are embankments on the road leading to Chelmsford.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mondfrau
1bos, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2010

Thank you for your lovely, kind comments.
I'm sorry that you found the V menu content not to your liking, overwhelmingly we got a great response to the extra menu we put on serving food until 1.00am for festival goers - we will though look at the content for next year.
Understandably for an event with tens of thousands of guests taxis are impossible to obtain 'on demand', we are always happy to assist with pre-booking taxis for guests at the festivals 'drop off / pick up points' which are indicated, along with the appropriate entrance gates, on the site plans.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
Pontlands Park
#3 of 4 in Brentwood
Travelodge Chelmsford Hotel
Travelodge Chelmsford Hotel
#10 of 11 in Chelmsford

Been to Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!