“50th birthday family weekend celebration”

Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Chelmsford
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
“50th birthday family weekend celebration”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We had a wonderful celebration for my wife's 50th birthday with a family weekend event we organised at the Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel in Margaretting, at the beginning of January this year.
It was a truely lovely occasion thanks to all the wonderful staff at Best Western the Ivy Hill and we were very impressed with the way we were looked after with really attentive service, confortable and spacious rooms and most delicious food! Libby, Emma and all the staff took care of every need for our family's stay and offered us the use of a very nice function room for the evening's birthday celebration meal which was most nice!.
Shortly after arrival, we had booked an afternoon tea at the loung conservatory to help our family members settle in and was amazed at the most sumptuously delightful afternoon tea/feast laid on for us. It was knockout and would have got those brassy top- named central London establishments rightly worried in my book if they'd have seen the goodies displayed for us to tuck into! We went for a walk in nearby Hylands Park after and needed it to make room for the evening meal! That meal too was a delight having pre-ordered from a special function menu designed by the hotel for us in the advance stages of our planning and it catered most enjoyably for all - a great night had with my better half entertained (and happily embarrassed!) by slideshow of family's photos and comic speeches afterwards!
As said the rooms were nice, comfortable and spacious with all modern amenities with the hotel indeed appearing a lot bigger on the inside than it does from outside which adds a lot to its rural charm in my book.
Our breakfasts next morning were wonderful and catered for all tastes from full English, fish, cereal,breads, pastries etc where we had plenty of room after in another adjacent conservatory to socialize and give prezzies etc.
In short a very enjoyable and memorable and 50th birthday weekend had by all! We would definitely recommend this lovely rural Best Western on the edge of Chelmsford to anyone looking to stop in that area.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark B
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank you for your review and I'm very pleased to hear that you all had a fabulous weekend for your wife's birthday.
We look forward to welcome you back next time you are in the area or planning another celebration.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We recently had an unexpected stay at this hotel, as we were stranded on the A12 after experiencing horrendous snow on our way back from London. The staff were very welcoming and friendly and did everything in their power to assist us. The hotel is modern and clean and breakfast was delicious! I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anybody who wishes to stay in this area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Thank you for kind review.
I'm glad that our night porter looked after you and although there was no room at the inn I'm happy we could offer you the use of our lounge rather than a stable! Thank you also for the kind comments about our breakfast.
I'm pleased to hear you finished your journey safely and we look forward to welcoming you back under better circumstances if you are in the area again.

Leeds
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Very pleasantly surprised and much nicer than i was expecting of a Best Western. I stayed in room 3 as a business traveller. It turned out to be the bridal suite. It was a lovely room very clean, comfortable bed and spotlessly clean bathroom with large bath and walk in shower. Room service was prompt and a very nice cooked breakfast. I will definitely ask my company to book me in again if i'm in the area

• Stayed January 2012
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Thank you for your review of Best Western Ivy Hill, I am glad you enjoyed all of the aspects of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area.

Regards

Witham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We recently held our wedding at Ivy Hill and we cannot thank the staff enough for making it a truly memorable and perfect day! The service was fantastic, every detail covered and overseen by Libby who was an absolute professional. Libby ensured any requests were met, managed the proceedings perfectly,but most importantly helped to create a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere for all our guests. The food was superb and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The grounds are extremely well kept and made for some beautiful backdrops to our photographs. We had the bridal suite which I hadn't viewed prior to the wedding, so it was a great surprise to have such a lovely room where I was able to have some photos taken before the ceremony. Many of our guests stayed overnight too, and commented on how clean their rooms were, and that the breakfast was very good. We had a limited budget so this venue really suited us as we opted for their Heavenly Weddings package. We have to say that it totally exceeded our expectations, and was fantastic value for money.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SammieA_11
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic review about your wedding day.
I am pleased to hear that Libby and the team ensured that you had the day you had dreamed of. We are very proud of the facilities and service offered at Best Western Ivy Hill and it is always nice to hear that couples and their guests have enjoyed the day and felt it was value for money.
We wish you every happiness for your future and look forward to welcoming you back to Best Western Ivy Hill.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2011

As a general rule, I always avoid 'Best' Western hotels as I find the levels of service and experience differ so greatly that it is impossible to know what you are going to find when you arrive.

I must say the Ivy Hill did not dissapoint, the rooms were large and spacious, the service was friendly and effecient and the hotel was clean and modern.

I would have hesitation in recommending this hotel in the future and they are a great example of a small independent hotel keeping up with the chains.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Thank you for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Best Western Ivy Hill.
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area.

Regards
Midlands, UK
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Stayed here for two nights on a business trip. Overall this is comfortable hotel with reasonable service. The traffic noise was bearable. My only real complaint (and it is a BIG complaint) was when I received the bill on check out I discovered that 10% had been added to the bar bill which included all drinks, food and snacks. This means that an average pint of lager which cost £3.70 in reality cost £4.07! The hotel hid that little scam well! It wasn't until I checked out having paid the bill that I noticed. Breakfast was OK as was the bar meal. Because of this hidden charge which annoyed me intensely, I will NOT be returning.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank CarolineMidlands
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
I was shocked and concerned by the title of your review and when I read it I was further disappointed, whilst I do not like to challenge or question customers I do consider your review to be factually incorrect as we do not hide any of our charges.
The service charge you refer to is clearly displayed in the menu which you made your selection from and it is also itemised on the bill you were presented with at check out, so I am confused as to how you consider it to be a "hidden charge".
Like much of the industry we apply a 10% service charge to all food and drinks, it is a discretionary charge and therefore if you had felt that the service you received did not warrant the charge you could have asked for it to be removed and the restaurant staff or receptionist would have willingly done so.
I understand that sites like this are now the way in which people choose to express their dissatisfaction but had you raised the point on check out, or called the hotel afterwards it could have easily been dealt with without you posting an inaccurate and misleading review.
I have asked my staff to refund your card with the £2 discretionary service you were charged and we hope that now the matter has been cleared up we will see you back at the hotel next time you are in the area.

stafford
Reviewed 22 September 2011

The room we had was nicely decorated was reasonably sized. The bed was extremely confortable also. The room had typical hotel amenities: TV, iron, tea making facilities. The breakfast was good, although the cooked breakfast was warm not hot.
We experienced lots of little negatives while we stayed here which is why overall we scored the hotel quite low, despite the nice-ness of the room.
The bed had what looked like a clean hanky just inside under the covers at the top of the bed. -surely the person who made the bed wouldv'e seen that and removed it? The sheets looked clean but we were not entirely sure they were fresh for us. The same with the towels, as one was draped over the shower screen as if it had been left to dry. We left our used towels in the bath and the cleaner draped them over the chairs in the room instead of replacing them. We asked at 8pm that night for fresh towels, and when we got back to our room at 12.30pm they hadn't been changed.
We stayed for 2 nights but on the first night from 12.30 onwards there was a door that was slammed repeatedly every few seconds directly below us that woke us up everytime we drifted off to sleep. This continued until 2 am until i finally got fed up (having worked all week and been up since 5am that morning and driven down) that i phoned reception to complain - which to their credit the slamming stopped.
Another negative was the bathrrom. it looked dated and looked like it hadn't been given a thorough clean - in fact our impression (and other memebers of our party though the same) was that the cleaners had given the rooms a service as they do when you have the room for a series of nights as opposed to cleaning it thoroughly in between guests. There were even a few cobwebs on the ceiling and along the walls.
This hotel has the potential to be of a nice standard, but the service, noise and cleanliness prevents us from giving it more than 3/5.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and I apologise that the level of service you received did not meet that which you and in turn I would expect. I appreciate you bringing these matters to my attention and I will be investigating.
If you are ever in the area again I would like to welcome you back to show you our usual much higher standards.

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
Pontlands Park
Best Western Atlantic Hotel
#7 of 12 in Chelmsford
Premier Inn Chelmsford City Centre Hotel
Chelmsford Serviced  Apartments

Been to Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!