“Nice Rooms and Staff. Eat Out.”

Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Chelmsford
Reviewed 13 December 2013

writing my review having just been told that dinner not an option as catering for xmas parties. would have been nice to know this an hour ago....My second or third extended stay here and its pretty ordinary. Reception staff incredibly friendly and helpful. Rooms have recently been re-furbed and have a good, modern feel.
The food is pretty mixed and let's down the hotel. Breakfast is great but 4 or 5 times my colleagues and I have waited 30 minutes for hot food. Last time here people left as they had meetings to attend.
Dinner one night was laughably bad (the jokes about the soup will keep us entertained for weeks) and then was really quite good a subsequent night so either they have multiple chefs or the one they have has more mood swings than a menopausal hippo.
definitely won't be my hotel of choice going forward but give it a try as Bartellas may well be excellent (shut during week and booked for event at present) and if you have time to wait the breakfast is great (smoked haddock and poached eggs is really good)

Room Tip: ask for a newly re-furbed room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

I was disappointed to read your review following your recent stay with us at Best Western Ivy Hill.
I note that within it there are some very positive comments about the hotel and the staff and thank you for those.
I currently have the team looking in to some of the points you raised about the quality and consistency of the food as this is not something I like to hear about and will investigate to ensure it doesn't happen again, had you mentioned it at the time we could have looked in to it but none of the issues were bought to the attention of the team.
However, I don't appreciate that you only told half the story of the night you wrote the review, the hotel was fully booked and very busy with Christmas parties and the neighbouring restaurant, Bartellas (open 6 days a week) was also fully booked but the hotel were able to serve you dinner, just not at the exact time you hoped and you CHOSE to leave the lounge and not eat.

We do hope you will return if in the area again.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed here on business in December. The location was perfect just off the A12 but was surprisingly quiet. The Hotel looks lovely from the outside and the inside is just as nice. The staff were very friendly and helpful at check in. The rooms have recently been refurbished to a high standard and were very comfortable and cosy. I had a really peaceful and comfortable nights sleep in the large bed. Breakfast was excellent as was the food from room service.I am so glad that I found this hotel as I no longer have to stay in the larger impersonal Hotels that my company normally book for me. Another fab stay in a Best Western hotel !!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.
It is always a pleasure to read that someone has enjoyed the high standards we work hard to achieve throughout the hotel.
I will make sure your comments are passed on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed 2 nights over a weekend. Nicely appointed room. But rather compact bathroom. No where to put the toiletries as the only shelf had 2 glasses plus soaps etc. the hotel has a lovely conservatory/lounge area. Newly decorated and quite tastefully furnished in the public areas.
First night we ate in the bar. Good service and very pleasant food. Very nicely presented. The second evening we ate in their restaurant , this was very light and airy, good atmosphere and great food. Would go back to try something else on the menu.
Breakfast options were very good with either a traditional cooked breakfast or smoked haddock and poached egg.which was delicious .the second morning was a buffet breakfast as the hotel was full from a wedding party. So not quite the same service or quality, but still good.
A nice place to stay with easy access into the countryside and shopping centres. Would stay again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased you liked the hotel and facilities on offer and I will make sure your positive comments are also passed on to the restaurant team.
All of our bathrooms have at least the minimum shelf space required by Best Western and without knowing which room you were in it is hard to comment further.

We do hope to welcome you back when you are in the area again.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Had an enjoyable time having afternoon tea here.
The staff were very attentive and the food was very good. There were a lot of people coming and going it seem very popular with old and young. Easy to get to and plenty of parking. I had voucher so only cost me £19 for the two of us so look out for them . Not far from Chelmsford which has a very good shopping center.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for your review following your recent visit for Afternoon Tea.

I am pleased you were well looked after by the team and enjoyed the food and atmosphere, the lounge where it is served was recently refurbished and the Afternoon Tea is proving to be a popular choice on the menu which also includes light bites for lunch and larger options for dinner.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I arrived late evening and I was very pleasantly surprised. For the Rack rate paid, this hotel surpassed many higher priced rivals, in terms of environment and staff attention. The food, (evening meal and breakfast) was excellent, with plenty of choice and of good quality and quantity.
I also got a real sense that the staff forged friendships with guests that had stayed there regularly.
Rooms were well appointed and spacious, with complimentary paper.
The only negative comment - would be the policy of automatically adding gratuity to the bill. However when queried they were happy to remove.
I would recommend and would stay at this establishment again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and were impressed by the facilities.
The addition of a 10% Service Charge (discretionary for parties of less than 10) is clearly marked on all of the menus and as you found out, the policy is that if a guests feels their experience did not warrant the charge it will be removed.
We look forward to welcoming you back when you are in the area again.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stopped off here on our long journey from the Midlands to Essex, they were busy, but the staff found us a table for lunch, they were so friendly and helpful. The food came quickly and was very good. Although we had only stopped for lunch the staff made us feel very welcome and we would have no hesitation in going back again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to BEST WESTERN Ivy Hill.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your lunch with us in the newly refurbished lounge at the hotel, the relaxing atmosphere makes it the perfect place to unwind after a long journey.
I will make sure that the staff see your very positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are in the area again.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We Planned a Big surprise Party for my Mother in Laws 60th an After viewing the Margaretting Suite at the Ivy Hill Hotel it was perfect it had its own car park right outside and our own Entrance to the venue with its own toilets, cloakroom, bar etc which was perfect. We set up from 12pm and Libby and all the Staff were very helpful and accomadating with how we wanted the layout of the tables chairs etc. The Night of the Party we had Craig (One of the managers) who we literally couldn't praise enough he was FAB so helpful couldn't do more for you made our party easy flowing all staff were smiley friendly and everybody loved the Venue We will defiantly be using Ivy Hill hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review following your recent celebration at the hotel.

I am pleased the event was a success and you were well looked after by the team, I will make sure that your positive comments are passed on to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Managing Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
Pontlands Park
#10 of 11 in Chelmsford
De Rougemont Manor
De Rougemont Manor
#3 of 4 in Brentwood

Been to Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!