“okay, bit expensive for what it is”

Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Chelmsford
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed on business, and I simply used it as a crash pad. Rooms fine, good bathroom and the room had a decent iron in it which is important to me when travelling on business. Was a bit expensive for what it was.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris G
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to see that you liked the room and the little touches we also feel are important, like a full sized iron and board.
Without knowing which rate you paid it is hard to comment on it being expensive for what it is but we are very reasonably priced for the area, especially considering the high standards we offer.

We do hope you will return when in the area again

There are newer reviews for Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Organized a private party for clients, something I do several times a week all over the UK. Seems there is a one face for customers and one for anyone else. Greeted with a can't do attitude when asking for a simple request. Asked for a key to lock possessions away which never materialzed then barked at by the general manager whose brusque tone and abrupt manor suggested that she would prefer us to book a private party at an alternative venue.

So that's what I'll do next time we have clients in Essex.

Waitress who ran the service was lovely. Venue v. pleasant, clean and fresh.

Sullen Service without a smile.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit to the hotel.
I was disappointed to read your comments and decided to investigate the situation myself.
I spoke to the staff at the hotel who advised me of the function you were with and I called the organiser, which I assumed would be you based on the first line of your review and I was surprised to find that it wasn't.
The lady who had organised the event said everyone had enjoyed a fabulous evening with no problems and that they would happily return. She was very embarrassed when she heard about your review and told me that you were one of the actresses in a murder mystery event. Upon further investigation I discovered that you had been rude to suppliers at other events within the hotel which had been witnessed by customers and staff.
Whilst I am not saying that I am happy for my team to treat people in the way you describe, I am not sure I can believe it all, considering the inaccuracies and failure to mention within your review other things which did happen.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Arrival: as you get out of your car you are hit by the noise from the Chelmsford Bypass. However, the hotel itself and the restaurant are both well sound-proofed and we did not find the noise a problem.

Rooms: are large and well decorated and well equipped – iron, board, trouser press, hair dryer and coffee maker (no fridge though). The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was also of a good size – but no loo brush!

Breakfast: is taken in the hotel. The cold buffet was somewhat limited but there was a good selection of hot food.

Restaurant: the restaurant is some distance from the hotel across two car parks. It is not open every night and the distance could make it unpleasant if raining. It provides a fixed price menu for two or three courses. The food was excellent and good value for money. You could also eat in the hotel from a limited menu.

Meals and Drinks: I am not keen on 10% gratuities being automatically added to meals and drinks. Someone else has commented adversely on this practice. Also, breakfast was included in my rate but had also been added to my bill.

Free Wifi: quite good but internet connection dropped out from time to time.

Room Tip: #12 was on the groind floor at the back.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased that you liked the room and felt that the noise from the road was not an issue once inside.
The restaurant is a short walk away in the gardens of the hotel and we do have umbrellas available if it is raining, but the recently refurbished lounge within the hotel offers a range of dishes if you don't fancy a walk.
We do add a 10% service charge to all food and drinks bills, however this is discretionary for parties of less than 10 and staff will remove it if you do not feel that the service you received warranted it.

We do hope to welcome you back when you are in the area again

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We held our daughter's wedding here and was extremely impressed. The whole experience was faultless, superb organisation by Libby Kitching and her team, excellent food and a lovely atmosphere. Many of our guests stayed overnight and remarked how pleased they were with all aspects of the wedding and their stay. Thank you for a truly memorable day!

Room Tip: We had an executive double which was very spacious, our daughter a standard double but equally good.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing Best Western Ivy Hill as the location for such a special occasion.
I am pleased to hear that you all enjoyed it and will make sure your thanks are passed on to Libby and the team.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future

Reviewed 24 April 2014

As previously had a great afternoon tea using Travelzoo voucher brought some more for a return visit. When I booked said would be bringing extra person and would pay for their tea separately. Food was excellent and cakes especially good and tea and coffee kept topped up. Two extra cokes were ordered and brought instantly such good service. Afterwards we sat in gardens and enjoyed the sunshine.

Now for the only complaint. My sister went to pay for the extras and when she got outside noticed there had been a service charged added. I think this was very wrong on a bill under £20 so she challenged it and the lady said it is stated on menu so should have noticed. We did not have menu as extra tea was ordered on phone and waiter was asked for cokes. This is not good Custer practice. ( yes we had left a tip for the waiter already)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for your review following your visit for Afternoon Tea.
I am pleased you enjoyed it so much before that you decided to return and that you and your guests were once again well looked after.
With regards to the service charge, whilst I realise you did not see a menu it is listed on all of them that 10% is added to all food and drinks and it would have been very clear on the bill when it was presented to your sister for checking. For parties of less than 10 it is a discretionary charge and if you do not feel that the service received warranted it then staff are happy to remove it.
We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Sometimes you return to a hotel and it isn't as good as previously. Not the case with the Ivy Hill. We arrived early on Friday afternoon and enjoyed a Light Bite - delicious and just enough. Our dinner was taken in the adjoining resteraunt, Bartellas, with our friends who live in the area. We had a truly delicious meal, one of the finest steaks I have eaten in the UK. Service was lovely and we were able to compliment the Chef, who came out at the end of the evening, and enjoyed an interesting discussion about English wines and how they have improved. Next day our breakfast buffet lacked nothing - again cheerful service and constant attention to topping up dishes. We will return again in the summer, confident of a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask at time of reservation for a room at the rear of the hotel to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank for your review following your second stay with us at Best Western Ivy Hill.
I have passed on your positive comments to the team and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Managing Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
Pontlands Park
#10 of 11 in Chelmsford
De Rougemont Manor
De Rougemont Manor
#3 of 4 in Brentwood

Been to Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!