“Weekend break”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Chelmsford
Reviewed 5 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We arrived about 15 minutes early for our afternoon tea booked through Groupon.

We were pleased to note that there was a ramp at the front entrance which was helpful for my wife's wheelchair and at reception were met by a pleasant young lady who directed us through to the dining room.
A friendly waiter greeted us and invited us to choose a table from those available, no problem with being a bit early.

The tables were all laid up with tablecloths and we chose one next to a window with comfortable armchairs.

The waiter was very attentive and we were served with tea and coffee and the first part of the tea which was a very pleasant surprise as instead of the usual finger variety we were presented with three open-style sandwiches comprising egg mayonnaise, Parma ham with dressing and smoked salmon with cream cheese. Each one of these open sandwiches was delicious and a welcome departure from the run-of-the-mill fare usually served.

My wife's pot of tea was highly rated by her and my excellent coffee was regularly refreshed.

The rest of the tea arrived and consisted of fresh scones with butter and cream, fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate,and a selection of delicious cakes.

There was such a good selection that I had to help my wife finish hers!

Throughout the tea the waiter was helpful and professional.

We would be quite happy to pay the normal price for this afternoon tea and it was one of the best we have had

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comprehensive review following your recent visit for Afternoon Tea.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience and were well looked after by the team.
The open sandwiches have proved to be very popular, people seem to like the change from the usual finger sandwiches.

We do look forward to you returning again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I agree with Ian C on this one, I found the staff to be very friendly, courteous and helpful. In reply to Chris G, if you can book 3 days or more in advance you can get a double room for £75 which I think is excellent value for money for this type of hotel in this area. Our room was comfortable (I would even go as far as to say one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've slept in), a well stocked hospitality tray, good shower and a handy iron and ironing board set up. My husband and I dined there and although a fairly small menu the food was delicious ( I had the vegetarian option of a sweet potato, butternut squash and chick pea tagine with cous cous and my husband had medetarranean meatballs). We arrived in the afternoon though and several people were having high tea which looked fantastic. The bar was closed in the evening, not sure if it is only opened up for functions or the weekends, but drinks are served in the lounge/conservatory area. All areas of the hotel seemed very clean. This isn't a big hotel, which I prefer as it was more intimate and quiet. If I was really picky, the only fault I could find is they use those awful thick rimmed pub wine glasses, if I am paying £9 for a large glass of Rioja then I would like a decent wine glass please. Would definitely stay here again next time we're in the area.

Room Tip: There is a restaurant within easy walking distance out of the back of the hotel car park for which y...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your review and response to earlier reviews posted about Best Western Ivy Hill.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the facilities on offer and I will make sure your comments are passed on to the team.
The bar that you mention was closed is our function bar, all drinks to those guests or residents not attending functions are table served in the lounge and I will certainly look into your comment about the wine glasses.

Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is our second afternoon tea at the Ivy Hill, courtesy of a very good value Travelzoo deal. However, at the usual price this is still one of the best afternoon teas in the area.
The food is fresh, light and tasty. All the staff, from reception to the waiter - who is great fun - are friendly and make you feel really welcome.
This afternoon was entertaining as we were having an early birthday celebration and a piece of cake came out with a candle - and without having to ask!
The conservatory is light and airy and a very comfy place to while away an hour or two. I have no hesitation in recommending are already planning a return visit in July.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review following your recent visit or Afternoon Tea.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience and were well looked after by the team, I will make sure your comments are seen by them all.

We look forward to welcoming you back again next month.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Firstly, I don't normally take the time to write reviews, or comment on Trip Advisor, in fact this is my first, but I felt that I must comment on the remarks made by Dolliwoo regarding the Ivy Hill Hotel. I run a mobile disco, now in it's 40th year, so clearly I have worked at almost every venue -hotel or hall - in Essex and the London area over that time. I can honestly say that the Ivy Hill Hotel and Pontlands Park are probably my two favourite venues in Essex, mainly due to the professional staff and the fact that we can all work together to give our clients the best possible
experience.
I was, in fact, working on a private function in another part of the hotel on the night of Dolliwoo's review. The lady actually came into our room ranting and raving about the noise we were making during our sound check. I would suggest there are ways of asking for a 'simple request' and I personally wouldn't speak to staff at any venue in the way this reviewer spoke to the banqueting manger in front of me. Finally, although I cannot comment on the quality of the rooms as I have never stayed there, I would certainly recommend this hotel for anybody looking to plan a wedding or any party as I have always found the staff more than obliging.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your side of the story following an earlier review.
It is very much appreciated and we look forward to continuing to work with you in the future.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed on business, and I simply used it as a crash pad. Rooms fine, good bathroom and the room had a decent iron in it which is important to me when travelling on business. Was a bit expensive for what it was.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris G

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to see that you liked the room and the little touches we also feel are important, like a full sized iron and board.
Without knowing which rate you paid it is hard to comment on it being expensive for what it is but we are very reasonably priced for the area, especially considering the high standards we offer.

We do hope you will return when in the area again

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Organized a private party for clients, something I do several times a week all over the UK. Seems there is a one face for customers and one for anyone else. Greeted with a can't do attitude when asking for a simple request. Asked for a key to lock possessions away which never materialzed then barked at by the general manager whose brusque tone and abrupt manor suggested that she would prefer us to book a private party at an alternative venue.

So that's what I'll do next time we have clients in Essex.

Waitress who ran the service was lovely. Venue v. pleasant, clean and fresh.

Sullen Service without a smile.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit to the hotel.
I was disappointed to read your comments and decided to investigate the situation myself.
I spoke to the staff at the hotel who advised me of the function you were with and I called the organiser, which I assumed would be you based on the first line of your review and I was surprised to find that it wasn't.
The lady who had organised the event said everyone had enjoyed a fabulous evening with no problems and that they would happily return. She was very embarrassed when she heard about your review and told me that you were one of the actresses in a murder mystery event. Upon further investigation I discovered that you had been rude to suppliers at other events within the hotel which had been witnessed by customers and staff.
Whilst I am not saying that I am happy for my team to treat people in the way you describe, I am not sure I can believe it all, considering the inaccuracies and failure to mention within your review other things which did happen.

Managing Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
Pontlands Park
#3 of 4 in Brentwood
Travelodge Chelmsford Hotel
Travelodge Chelmsford Hotel
#10 of 11 in Chelmsford

Been to Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!