“NEVER AGAIN..dont go here!!!!”

Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Chelmsford
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Absolute hell hole. Food mouldy, builders outside constantly making noise, rude receptionist who I will be lodging a formal complaint against. The builders just appeared out of nowhere next to the window when she explicitly said they wouldn't be there and that she had checked I was at breakfast so they could go up!! Then insinuated I was lying when I said she said they werent going to be there. Room was horrible with the wallpaper was creeping off the walls and the food was not nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Emma A
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

I was very shocked by the contents of your review and as such immediately contacted the management to investigate and find out more information.
The team on duty remember your visit well and have provided me with a full report so that I can respond correctly, they have also shown me on the CCTV the way that your partner tried to intimidate and threaten female members of staff, something you failed to mention.
We did have builders on site working during your stay but they are only allowed to work at certain times, no noisy work is permitted before 9am and each day they are finished by 4pm. You were booked into one of our first floor executive rooms, after you checked in and went to the room you returned to reception and said you were unhappy with the location of the room and the fact it was overlooking the new extension, an alternative was offered which you refused, but you did ask to be compensated instead and breakfast was offered in order to calm the situation, in fact the request for compensation or something for free was made more than once during your stay.
There were builders on site but they knew the rooms were occupied and not to be on the roof outside the windows until guests had checked out.
I have personally checked the room you stayed in and there is no wallpaper coming off the walls, all of the bedrooms were redecorated a couple of years ago and we constantly check for damage and wear and tear.
The only food you ate from the hotel during your stay was breakfast and you were not served anything that was mouldy, it was actually the only thing you didn't complain about on the day.

I do hope anyone reading this will see that it is a total exaggeration and unfair review of the hotel, left by someone who was out to complain about everything and intimidate staff in order to get something for nothing.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding where my husband was best man. They were very accommodating to random requests relating to the speech, staff were very friendly and efficient and the atmosphere was lovely. The food was beautiful, and the evening buffet was different to any other wedding buffet I've ever seen - chicken skewer sticks, and dips with carrot/cucumber/pepper/celery sticks were 2 of the things that I remember the most, although there were plenty of sandwiches too. It was excellent!

The grounds are beautiful and the building work (mentioned by some reviewers) didn't affect our experience at all - although it was obvious that it was going on it is in a part of the grounds that you can't really see from the gardens.

The room we stayed in was beautiful and very comfortable with plenty of space. The only way it could have been improved for me (and this is me being extra picky) was for inbetween some of the tiles to have been cleaned - they were showing the pink stuff before tile grout goes mouldy. As I say, that's me being extra picky! Other than that the cleanliness could not be faulted.

I would definitely recommend a visit here sometime.

Room Tip: Executive double rooms give plenty of space and are absolutely beautiful. I didn't see a standar...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the wedding you attended, on such a special day it is important to be able to accommodate requests and make sure everything runs smoothly.
I will make sure that your positive comments about the food and staff are passed on and will ask housekeeping to check the bathroom tiles.
The building is now complete and it is just internal works and decoration taking place so everything looks nicer and there is less going on.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

after having afternoon tea in Pontlands park hotel I decided to visit here for Afternoon tea also...
So glad I did, again first class afternoon tea and superb service.
We sat on the comfy sofas in the conservatory and when we looked at the time, we realised 4 hours had past and in that time the staff had continued to make sure we were ok and had everything we needed... I will be coming here again for sure.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gemma1809
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent visit for Afternoon Tea, I am pleased to hear you have tried a number of our venues and enjoyed them all.
I will pass your comments on to the team and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Could be so nice. Employ all staff with limited English and very few service skills.

Never see any management about the place and is like they are left to their own devices.

This place wants weddings and does not care about general customers.

As a business traveller breakfast starts at 7am???? And the wifi so slow you cannot view anything on your laptop.

Avoid unless you want a wedding in the grounds

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.
Whilst customer feedback is very important I would like to challenge a few of the points you have mentioned. We do employ some foreign staff, alongside a number of English staff, however they all have a very good knowledge of English and are experienced within the industry.
There is a management team at the hotel and at least one of them is on duty almost all of the time, there are exceptions but at this time an experienced member of the team would be available to deal with any issues.
Weddings do make up a lot of our business but we value all of our customers and aim to offer them all the same level of service, sorry if you do not feel that you received this.
The hotel offers complimentary wifi throughout at the best possible speeds we can achieve, however out location does affect this and superfast connections are not available to us yet.
Business in the restaurant does start at 7am, however there is a card in the bedroom explaining that a Continental breakfast can be served in your room before this is required, just be completing it and leaving it on the door for the night porter to collect.
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion but do hope you might give us another try next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I just want to start by saying the photos don't really do this little hotel justice. When I book online I always take a really good look at the pictures and we were only staying one night so I thought well it will do. When we got there it was so much nicer than I expected. The grounds and the outside of the building were lovely. They were even having some building work done on the new restaurant which didn't detract from the lovely façade. Reception staff very helpful, booking taxis as we were off to a wedding reception. Only downside was the bar was shut, but this might be due to it being a Monday. We did however sit in a small lounge area near to reception and somebody went and got us drinks as we waited to go out. We didn't eat here as we arrived late after work and were going out, but people were ordering food from this small lounge area. Again I think they are having a new restaurant built so eating may change. Rooms good size, clean and nicely decorated. Tea and coffee making facilities tucked away in a cupboard under the t.v. so be prepared to look for them. Only downside was it was very very hot in the room, if you can't sleep in the heat then you may want to ask for a fan. We did stay during a very hot spell of English weather so the temperature of room may not be so bad staying at a different time of year. We would definitely use this hotel again if staying in the area. Our view from the window was of nothing so if you want a nice view don't go for room 27.

Room Tip: It was very hot so if you go when it is very warm in the summer you may want a room on the first or...
1  Thank FairyBuryStEdmunds
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us and the very positive comments you make about the room and facilities on offer.
The lounge area is near reception and this is where all drinks are served, the other bar in the hotel is for the function rooms.
I am pleased the building works did not cause you any problems, they will be finished very soon with the new restaurant opening at the beginning of October.
Each of the rooms does have a fan/heater in the wardrobe for those days when it is too hot or cold and this is detailed in the compendium in the room or staff at reception could have advised if asked.
I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Had a voucher for afternoon tea which was expiring so we made the effort and used it - was pleasantly surprised at the lovely open sandwiches - four each and very filling - scone was a bit big so only managed half but was well worth the visit would definitely return.

1  Thank nuttynetty1953
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent visit for Afternoon Tea.
I am pleased you managed to use your voucher before it expired and enjoyed the experience, we get many great comments about the open sandwiches, they make a real change from the usual finger sandwiches.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I attended the Brentwood 41 Club 50th Charter Anniversary 600th Meeting at this venue and can say without reservation that it was the best I have ever attended. A very pleasant venue and evening ,competitive prices, clean throughout friendly helpful staff and excellent food and service .
I should also like to thank Brentwood 41 Club for selecting the venue and their hard work in ensuring the evening was a night to remember for all members and guests.

I would thoroughly recommend other organisations to consider this venue for this type of event
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent visit with the 41 Club.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the event and were well looked after by the team.

We hope to see you again very soon.

Managing Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
Pontlands Park
#10 of 11 in Chelmsford
De Rougemont Manor
De Rougemont Manor
#3 of 4 in Brentwood

Been to Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!