“Quite pleasant”

The County Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Chelmsford
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed in a suite for our wedding. My wife used it beforehand to get ready with her family and then we used it for two nights after. The suite we stayed in was roomy, comfortable and quiet. The hotel is convienent to Chelmsford town centre, railway station and bus station. We found the staff helpful.

Before the wedding the wife had a family meal for 7 people and the food and service was excellent. Following the wedding we had a breakfast in the morning for 7 people and again the food and service was excellent.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The County Hotel

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Dirty carpet, dead fruit flies in the bathroom never removed since the date of my arrival, old furniture. They have also renovated rooms but you must be lucky to get them. It is not fair that you have to pay the same expensive amount even if they give you the old bad room.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Giacinto72
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We hold two meetings a year at this hotel and each time have V.I.P. guests attend. The location couldn't be more convenient (road access and train access). We also have an evening meal before our meeting day and eat in either restaurant or the bar.

The rooms we use are always spotless and set up exactly how we require and if we do change our mind and want things slightly differently this is no problem at all.

The waiting staff are all excellent.
We have never experienced anything but first class service.

Our meeting (yesterday) for St George's Day, received rave reviews from everyone at the meeting. The staff were exemplary and everyone, without exception (including our VIP guests) spoke only of the highest standard and presentation of the food.

My Gluten Free diet provided no problem at all. I advised the hotel of my dietary requirements when booking and when the food was served I was presented with my meal with the (unprompted) explanation that the food was Gluten Free - I've been to other Five Star hotels where I had to double-check and even return food as it wasn't Gluten Free (even after advising on booking and when ordering my food). So a huge thumbs up!

We have also stayed at the hotel on several occasions (last on Monday). Having stayed extensively at other hotels in the past, I am very happy to stay here - it IS a four star. As it is based in the middle of town (or City) that has no panoramas then of course there aren't any 'views'. The room was spotless and we enjoyed a very comfortable night's stay. The only thing I would say is that the room was too warm (for US), but turning off the radiator provided the solution.

We will be returning. We will be inviting other VIP guests, as we are confident that there will be excellent service, excellent food and attention to detail.

If I should ever experience any of the less positive experiences written about by others, I know that by mentioning them to the staff they would be rectified very quickly. Long life milk was supplied to the bedroom but a note in the room indicated that should we require fresh milk this was available on request from the reception.

We are looking forward to our next meeting in October.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Linda P
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Very quiet for its location. Very easy to park and helpful reception staff, Food was under cooked waiting staff sloppy and not very good at there job. Could do with more training about what they serve. Some of the waiting staff had piercings in there face. The restaurant was laid out well but not very clean. Would not return

Room Tip: Rooms are ok for a night or two wouldn't want to stay any longer
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gary P
GJMcG, General Manager at The County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for your comments, I always appreciate feedback good or bad as it helps us improve our product and service.

I would like to say though the piercing referred to is a single, small diamond stud in the nose, it is unobtrusive and quite stylish. The Restauant is cleaned after every service, the natural wooden floor is marked but clean. The Restuarnt table are new this year and the chairs are due to be re-upholstered within the next few weeks and the Restaurant is due to be redecorated at the same time as part of our Hotel wide refurbishment which started in January this year.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Location is very good, central to the town, plenty of parking space. But don't expect great vistas from the windows!

Overall this is a nice hotel, its not worth the money they charge for a superior room, but its reasonable. The attention to detail is not quite there.

Generally speaking the majority of the staff are courteous and professional, although i witnessed some rather brusque interactions between a male receptionist and a guest...but we all have bad days

Room was advertised as superior (room 36), very nice. Good standard of decor, and excellent bathroom. Selection of teas and coffees was very good. There was however no milk available and had to be collected from reception, a lovely cafetiere a was available for coffee, but unfortunately it was one designed for coffee bags rather than ground coffee (internal filter not present) producing a cup full of coffee grinds.

as I said, nice, reasonable, but not really worth the price, nor hitting 4 star quality.

Room Tip: The superior is probably NOT worth the additional money.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Blarys

Thank you for your feedback, good, bad or just how it is I do apprecaite it.

Fresh milk is always available in our rooms, it just needs to be asked for and our staff will always deliver it as quickly as possible. There seems to have been an issue with the fresh coffee bags in the room, these will be checked, but essentially they are cofffee bags that work in the same way as Tea bags and infuse so there should never be an issue with grouts.

I am sorry if my reception staff came off as brusque, wheter or not he was having a bad day, is irrelavant, we are currently running staff appraisals, and these issues will be addressed across the team.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks for work and each week was totally different. The first week was absolutely fine, the room was clean and I found the service very good. One small issue was that we were awoken by a fire alarm early hours one morning, I understand this could happen anywhere but I did find it bad that when I left the hotel along with many others to stand in the street in my pajamas, there was not one member of staff around to make sure everyone had evacuated or apologise for the inconvenience. That said it was a good weeks stay and I was looking forward to returning the following week.

The following week I felt as though I was in a totally different hotel, I was in a different room and experienced the following:

Sunday - Fire alarm went off in the early hours again, due to it happening the week before I stayed in my room and it stopped shortly afterwards.Unable to use any of the glasses in the room as they were very dirty and the cups were sticky and obviously unwashed.

Monday - Could smell a strong smell of smoke in the bedroom, realised that the staff were smoking under my window. My bath plug was also broken and could only get the plug out by sticking my nail or a tea spoon down the plug which was really not nice therefore asked for a room change.

Tuesday - New room, very happy with it on first glance. had extremely noisy neighbours rowing and shouting at each other and shouting down the coridoor at 11pm. I understand this could happen anywhere but I did have a sleepless night.

Wednesday - In the bath and the soap dish fell onto my shoulder, I picked it up and it was THICK with mould, grease and long black hairs attached. I tried to drain the bath to discover that plug was also broken so had to use another tea spoon to leaver the plug up and let the water out. Went to have a glass of water from the tap (as I had done in the other rooms) the water was warm and cloudy, went to reception who pointed me in the direction of the bar, was given a bottle of still water and a jug of tap water.

Thursday - I woke to more noisy neighbours playing music so loud it could be heard from the other side of the coridoor from 6am.

Friday - Finally able to check out never to return again. The gentleman behind the reception desk then informed me I was going to be charged for the bottle of water I was given on Wednesday I explained the situation to him and he was very rude but finally agreed to take the one bottle of water off the final bill.

As soon as I got home I had a shower as I genuinely felt dirty after my second week. Having read many reviews on here I agree with both good and bad reviews as my first week was absolutely fine so it really is pot luck but I will never return to this hotel, I would have been much happier in a travel lodge or premier inn where you really know what you are getting.

To finish on a positive, breakfast was nice although I did find it odd to be served a breakfast omelette along side a salad with dressing....staff in restaurant very friendly.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank SCDandAJC

Thank you for your feed back, as you I am disappointed that it was so different between your two weeks, some of the points that yo made have been immediately addressed, the staff smoking area has been moved.
We have checked every single soap dish in the Hotel andnot found one that is loose, all or Housekeeping team have had extensive refresher trianing via an external source this year so I am even more concerned over you cleanliness observation. We have spent a considerable some this year on new carpets, new bedroom furniture, new bed throws and bedroom cutrains, we have installed safes, improved the quality of hairdriers, cushions and other soft furnishings in the rooms, and improved security with keycard locks.
I undersand that you asked for a jug of water for your room, this was immediately provided, you then asked at the bar for a large bottle of mineral water which was charged. This charge was deleted at your cehck out with no fuss by our reception team.
I am sorry that you were clealry disappointed and we will review our procedures as a result, like many other we strive to provide a quality service and we will always try to put things right when we don't quite get it right

Reviewed 15 April 2014

From the look of it, I thought it would be one of those slightly depressed town hotels that last got refurbished in 1985 - but far from it. The rooms are very nicely done up and it's something of a relief to stay in a room with a bit of colour rather than the standard taupe and charcoal that all hotel decorators seem to be using at the moment.

And the attitude was terrific. I had just started developing a nasty lurgy so they extended my check out time - nice - and sent a continental breakfast tray to my room - albeit that it was my colleague who brought it up. He said his cooked breakfast was excellent - my croissants were delicious and my fruit salad was clearly made that morning.

Add to this ample parking and a central location, and I can't think you'd find a better or more convenient place in Chelmsford the area.

Stayed: April 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
Best Western Atlantic Hotel
Pontlands Park
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow
Chelmsford Serviced  Apartments
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa

Been to The County Hotel? Share your experiences!