“Afternoon tea for two”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea for two”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Just a very quick review
Took my wife for afternoon tea and was very pleased with what we had to eat. Very basic but what do expect for only £12.50 each. 4 finger sandwiches with different fillings, then fruit tart , with two other tasty items then 2 scones with jam and cream. with a selections of teas and coffee as much as you want to drink. Very friendly staff. Enjoyed my short visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

From the outside this looks like a a series of houses joined together into one hotel and given the fact that it's surrounded by offices and shops you would be forgiven for thinking that this will be like one of those dodgy London hotels that sounds posh but isn't. But it's nothing of the sort. The hotel is very plush inside, nicely furnished with modern furniture and updated bathrooms. Yes the floorboards creek but hey it's an old building! Staff very friendly and helpful. Good selection of restaurant and bar food which is served very quickly and breakfast the next morning was most acceptable although it would have been nice if there had been a bit more fruit on offer. WIFI in the rooms which works and a very decent sized car park (It is also worth noting that both the WIFI and car parking is free - other up market hotels please note! ) In all a very good stay and I'd be happy to return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank politicsandrew
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Only stayed for one night, 2 adults 4 children in two rooms. Both rooms were nice and clean. Ate in the restaurant as part of the deal which was very nice. Also a very good children's menu. Staff friendly and welcoming. Would give it 4.5 if possible.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank biddy1731
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed on a DB&B package in a suite for only £140 - great size, good facilities and nice touches - staff very pleasant. Excellent selection of wine by the glass and of good quality. Breakfast very nice but dinner not very good (although cheese course was excellent and my pork was okay) but service excellent (we were the only ones in the restaurant). Good value and worth trying again to see if the starters and main courses improve.."...............

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank david s
Cala Millor, Islas Baleares, Spain
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Booked 3 hours before stay arriving 30th April, just for the night. As a manager of a hotel, I have high standards and enjoy a cheeky break away to chill out. I arrived on the train and was only a 2 minute walk away (despite my phone directing me to the tomtom listing of the hotel which is 15 minutes walk in the wrong direction, so watch out).

Upon arrival I was greeted by friendly staff, had a quick check in while getting all the necessary information which is a good sign.

Room was good, however a bit home bedroom like with the en suite but I guess this is the style of the hotel. Went to dinner quite late, menu looked great but was gagging for a steak and chips. Not on the menu other than fillet steak which I completely changed to just include the steak, house fires and the beer braised onions which were delicious. Steak was a little overdone but I was so hungry it didn't last long and I am sure if I had have mentioned they would have changed it for me! So no issue there at all.

Back up to my room for a beverage before seeing what Chelmsford had to offer in terms of watering holes and it seems the students descend upon the bars on a Wednesday so went back promptly!

Getting back to the hotel, night porter waited around for me which was nice. Had a bath and went to bed. Few minor snags discovered in the room but didn't hinder my sleep, other than some form of what I would imagine to be a pump every few minutes going on and off.

Breakfast was good and hearty. I opted for full English. Again, I was the only one in the restaurant which is strange as there isn't much of an atmosphere but I guess it's just the weird times I eat!

All in all, I would recommend this hotel. I am from a boutique town centre hotel myself and therefore my standards are unusually high and they seemed to perform here. The highlight is definitely the service which is great to see. Slightly over priced for single occupancy in the premier room at £130 not including breakfast as the hotel wasn't that full but I paid it.

• Stayed May 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed in a suite for our wedding. My wife used it beforehand to get ready with her family and then we used it for two nights after. The suite we stayed in was roomy, comfortable and quiet. The hotel is convienent to Chelmsford town centre, railway station and bus station. We found the staff helpful.

Before the wedding the wife had a family meal for 7 people and the food and service was excellent. Following the wedding we had a breakfast in the morning for 7 people and again the food and service was excellent.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Roma
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Dirty carpet, dead fruit flies in the bathroom never removed since the date of my arrival, old furniture. They have also renovated rooms but you must be lucky to get them. It is not fair that you have to pay the same expensive amount even if they give you the old bad room.

• Stayed April 2014