Premier Inn Chelmsford (Springfield) Hotel
US$105
Travelocity
Pontlands Park(Great Baddow)
US$143
Premier Inn Chelmsford City Centre Hotel(Chelmsford)(Great Value!)
US$94
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
US$84
Toprooms.com
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Premier Inn Chelmsford (Boreham) Hotel(Chelmsford)(Great Value!)
US$123
PremierInn.com
US$88
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
US$175
US$131
All reviewsservice areaservice stationlorry parkpetrol stationmeal dealgood nights sleepbudget hotelfamily roomlady on receptionair conditioningbusy roadcomfortable bedwhat it says on the tinfamily weddingrestaurant staffall you can eatovernight stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Reception staff were great and very accommodating, beds were comfy and the room clean, large, and noise free. The location isn't glamorous but it was ideal for meeting the family at cheap price near to where we needed to be.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Friday evening's traffic was moving nicely as I cruised London bound along the A12 with the top down and the shades on. Then just past Witham the gantries flashed their unwelcome message. "Severe delays M25 Dartford Crossing." Seconds later Sally Traffic interrupted Dusty Springfield - right in the middle of "Stay Awhile" - with the same terror message. Blast. My chances of an easy run to Portsmouth were shattered. But, then Dusty came back to guide me. "Stay Awhile?" Sure, why not. Here's a turnoff for Chelmsford Services. Somewhere on my journey I needed to eat and refuel. Thanks, Dusty. The Saab gulped down £70 of BP's finest and I was headed opposite towards The Thyme Restaurant at the Premier Inn. A perfect reception from the restaurant manager. "Orange and lemonade coming up, Sir. Take a look at the menu and Jackie will be with you shortly. Soup of the day is Tomato and Basil; very nice." Refreshed by the drink I studied the menu. And, looked around. Half full, good sign at 1935 hrs. But, no one was eating. 8 people waiting for their plates to be cleared. 4 other tables with no plates. Had they just arrived. Jackie wasn't around to ask. Eventually I ordered. I could live with 15 minutes for my soup as I expected the steak to follow shortly. After 20 minutes I got up and found the restaurant manager. "Oh, it's just being plated. With you directly." 5 minutes later I cut into a rare steak. I'd ordered medium. No service staff in sight. A long walk through the restaurant carrying my plate to the servery and I found them. Nattering to the chefs. A polite conversation and back to the table to wait. Some more. "Would I like a free drink?". "No thanks; water is fine." Eventually my steak arrived. Perfect. And, perfect vegetables too. So, they can serve good food. After 3 miniscule scoops of ice cream I was up again to find someone to get a bill. And, to find the large print offer of £2.00 for a dessert was only available if I had a voucher. Next time I'll read the small print. No, I won't. Next time I'll buy a sandwich at the BP garage and eat it in the queue on the M25. Much less stress and faster too. 90 seconds not 90 minutes. Yet, there was one good outcome. The queues had gone and by the time I arrived at the toll barrier it was past 2200hrs and I didn't have to pay.

Room Tip: Eat at the BP garage opposite.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Lance Q
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Me and my husband only stayed here for 1 night but we thought our room was room clean, comfortable and it was actually a lot bigger than I was expecting. My parents who were also staying with us had breakfast the following morning and they said they were very happy with their meal. The shower wasn’t the best but it also wasn’t the worse I have experienced, we would stay here again if the opportunity arose.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here last Thursday, service of dinner was slow as the restaurant was busy. The duty manager Alex stepped in and dealt with our concerns. He was exceptionally good and a credit to his employers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had to stay at the hotel because we were attending a wedding at a nearby venue and that was basically the only hotel available. The place has plenty of parking spaces (owing to the fact it is on a services area) and look clean. Room 101 (Yes you heard it right) was clean, had all basic ammenities, including a basic hair drier and the bed was comfortable enough. The room also had a kind of sofa, which I presume is for a third person, but trust me you wouldn't want to sleep on that because those springs would drive you mad all night.

THe bathroom is well appointed. The main thing that was lacking was air conditionning. You can barely open the windows and so the room can get stuffy. There is only an heater but you can't get cold air.

We had the breakfast and that was nice enough. Bacon a bit tough but the sausages were nice as were the eggs. Nice selection of other stuff (including nice pastries) for a very reasonable price.

The staff are very very nice and welcoming. The person who checked us in explained everything well; at one stage we needed an iron and ironing board and this was provided immediately at no additional cost.

So, if you need to stay on your way to somewhere this is a good enough hotel to stay. If you fancy visiting Chelmsford (in case you ever thought this may be a tourist destination for you) then the hotel is about 10 minutes' drive from the centre of town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple