“Spoilt by a few”

The Oakland Hotel Ltd
Ranked #11 of 19 Chelmsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Have stayed here once, the hotel itself is fine, erring on the basic side but functional, comfortable and quite reasonably priced. Good food and conveniently located for other eateries and shops so all in all good.
However, it really is spoiled by some of the locals, namely an ageing dyed blond mouthpiece that seems to think she is 40 years younger than she is. What a gob. What a state. Enough said.
There were a few idiots who thought it fun to knock on doors in the early hours but thats what happens when silly boys have more than 2 pints of lager, such fun.
The staff here are friendly, service good, bar surprisingly good value and general cleanliness fine.
I would consider staying here again, overall not bad but too many locals propping up the bar to feel really relaxed over a drink

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Tommy B

Reviewed 11 May 2013

Just returned from a 12 night stay at the Oakland Hotel. 5 of us were working at Bradwell Power station and as we had to leave hotel at 6.15am, too early for hotel breakfast, we wanted a location where we had a selection of food outlets and pubs when we returned from work. The Oakland Hotel is the perfect location for anyone working in this area of Essex. Theres a variety of chinese, indian & fast food outlets in the immediate vicinity of the hotel plus The Town Crier Pub across the road is great place to spend an evening with a good & very reasonable menu.
The Oakland Hotel is basic but with spotlessly clean rooms, friendly staff and a good bar. The Hotel manager warned us of the noise during the weekend but this was easily solved by using ear plugs. Only had the hotel breakfast on 3 occasions and each time it was of good quality and enjoyed by all of us. Overall we were more than happy with our decision to stay at The Oakland hotel and will definitely stay again when working in this part of the country.

Room Tip: If you stay at the weekend ask for Rooms 34 to 37 as these are on the second floor at the back of th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Tony R
oaklandhotel, Front Office Manager at The Oakland Hotel Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Thank you very much for the favourable review it is much appreciated.

We are happy to hear that the Hotel suited your requirements.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Our stay was totally ruined by drunk idiots shouting, fighting, and setting the fire alarms off in the hallway outside our rooms right up to 5am. When we complained this morning the staff seemed uninterested. We were told breakfast started at 8am when it actually started at 9, when breakfast finally did arrive it was poor to say the least. The scrambled egg was the driest I've ever seen, toast was burnt, as was the sausage and bacon. mushrooms were tinned and hardly cooked. All in all probably the worst place we've ever stayed in, needless to say we will never stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank Steve B
oaklandhotel, Front Office Manager at The Oakland Hotel Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

We do apologise that your stay with us was spoiled by the behaviour of a few Guests who had attended a Wedding locally. Having looked at the bookings for last weekend we note that you did not book your accommodation until the afternoon of your stay so unfortunately we were not able to offer rooms in the quiet part of the Hotel. We have identified the Guests who caused the trouble and we will be notifying the on-line Booking Agency that they used, that we will not accept these Guests again.

We normally receive compliments on our breakfast so are disappointed that you felt it was not up to standard. All ingredients are fresh we do not use tinned mushrooms or tomatoes, and a local Butcher makes the sausages for us.

Regarding the Fire Alarm activation I am sure you will appreciate that we do have to leave the bells ringing while Staff check the whole Hotel in case there is a fire - we cannot assume that it is a false alarm.

Once again we apologise for the fact you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Oakland for an overnight on the 16th March. It was our 23rd wedding anniversary so we decided to go for the premier room. It was very spacious, comfortable and clean.Staff were friendly and breakfast was lovely. We parked our car at the side of the hotel which was ideal.
Lots of places to eat close to the hotel Chinese restaurants, Indian, Chip Shop, Pub food and a McDonalds. There is also an Asda nearby as well which was good for the bottles of wine and beer which we consumed whilst celebrating our anniversary.
We ate at The Town Crier the local pub for lunch and dinner which was excellent and there was a singer there on Saturday evening who was really good.
Overall our stay at The Oakland was very enjoyable and would use again

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stayed here whilst attending a local family party. Never used a 2 star before but Found clean and tidy. Cooked breakfast included in price. Had a final drink in the evening before going to bed and found the party goers quite entertaining. Did not hear no noise as we we were on the second floor. We found this hotel ideal for our stay and would use again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I booked an overnight stay at this hotel for a nearby business meeting the next day.
I was then informed by a few local people that it had appeared on the TV programme "Hotel Inspector" - I decide to take a chance.
I must say that I was pleasantly surprised and relieved.
The room was basic and rather old bathroom suit and fittings - but it was clean and comfortable.
The staff were polite and helpful
Breakfast was a good selection and the cooked meal I had was fine.
For £45 B & B I thought this was very good value for money
If there was one drawback - it was not the fault of the hotel and it didn't really affect me. But I had to move my car before 9 o'clock to avoid a ticket by the loacl council.
I left at 8.45 so it was not a problem for me

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Having spent a short night stay, I found the hotel average.

The receptionist/bar maid was pleasant and helpful. The room was quite a walk with 2 flights of stairs with no lift. It was very clean, but my God was it cold! There was a large radiator but there was no hot water running through it (yes the valve was open). As others have managed it was rather noisy at night. I was situated at the rear where there is a small car park, any vehicle activity was very loud, even on the second floor.

As I left early I did not experience the breakfast.

There is a pub located on the ground floor, it was quite off putting really watching middle aged women rolling around drunk, so I only stopped for one ;-)

Overall happy, but this was a Sunday night and fear a Friday or Saturday could be very different.

Room Tip: Room 34 was good for us, decor and cleanliness wise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
Travelodge Chelmsford Hotel
#7 of 10 in Chelmsford
Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Margaretting

Been to The Oakland Hotel Ltd? Share your experiences!