“Great for families”

The Orchards Holiday Park - Haven
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed Monday - Friday during our Easter Holidays (but local children were back at school so less crowded than the week before). In future I will request a no-smoking caravan as ours smelled of cigarettes, but a spritz or two of febreeze sorted that out. The caravan was everything it needed to be, comfortable, warm (we only used the heater in the lounge), basic but reasonable kitchen and we parked next to the caravan. The children loved the adventure playground, the harbour, the beach, the seaside squad shows and the arcade. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, I have been to other Haven's where the staff were a bit 'jobsworth' but here they couldn't do enough for us, and when my friend and her children visited us they had a great time too! While here we visited Colchester Zoo which was fantastic! Our kids are 5 and 8. We stayed on one of the Sun holiday deals.

Room Tip: we upgraded 2 levels from basic, and got an ensuite for the main bedroom!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Orchards H, Manager at The Orchards Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hi HRBrum

Thank you for your amazing review for your stay at The Orchards.

I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us and found your caravan to be everything you needed. However I do apologise for the slight smell of smoke. If you had let us know we would have been able to rectify this for you. We do ask our guests to smoke outside the accommodations.

I am glad to hear that your children enjoyed the many facilities on Park and the surrounding area. I have had many visits to Colchester Zoo and it is always a fantastic day.

Thank you for your comments regarding the helpfulness of the team. We do try to make your stay as enjoyable as possible and am pleased this was the case.

I do hope that you will be returning to The Orchards and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

After reading reviews was bit worried but on arriving was very pleased. Lovely caravan brand new 2 toilets 3 bedrooms. Short walk to beach for lovely walks food in restaurant reasonably priced. Yes some property bit rundown but overall very nice park but where was the fish and chip takeaway?

• Stayed: April 2014
Orchards H, Manager at The Orchards Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Hi claire37Ramsgate

Thank you very much for reviewing your holiday.

I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay at The Orchards Holiday Park, especially your caravan.

The beach and the sea wall surrounding the Park do provide nice walks and I am glad you enjoyed these.

Unfortunately we don’t have a Fish and Chip shop onsite, but we do have a Papa Johns pizza and Chinese Takeaway.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Arrived for a mid week break Monday to Friday, check in was easy with plenty of staff booking people in. We had a caravan with heating, and I can not fault it at all, very clean and well equipped. The Spar shop was well stocked with a good selection of fruit, fresh breads and drinks, it was not overpriced like some campsites. The site is well layed out and we really enjoyed the walk around the sea wall.

I would not let the kids use the pool as it was very small for the size of the site and always overcrowded, it looked dirty and it had to close due to a child being sick in the pool which put me off.

They really need to sort out how activities are booked had to wait for 40 minutes in the hot swimming pool to get a ticket for the trampolines to be then told they were closed. Kids did archery and shooting felt 8 pound a go was expensive as only one instructor so the did not get many turns.

The fun stars were really good and got the crowd going, felt they were better than the acts brought in, cash bingo payed good money, overall lots of evening entertainment. Did not like to see very young children out late with ear muffs on crying in their buggies as they were so tired, there seemed a lot at this site.

Overall had a great time and the kids loved it.

1  Thank Birdy227

Hi Birdy227

Thank you for your feedback from your holiday with us at The Orchards Holiday Park.

It’s good to hear that you enjoyed your holiday and was happy with your accommodation and your check in upon arrival. I must agree the Spar shop on site is well stocked and the bakery selection is very tasty!!

I am sorry to hear that you didn’t use the pool during your stay. Unfortunately sometimes accidents do happen in the Swimming Pool but I can assure you that the pool is fully cleaned prior to being reopened.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the activities and I do apologise for the delay you experienced when booking them. Your comments have been passed onto the Sports and Leisure Manager to see where improvements can be made.

The Entertainments Manager and her team are extremely pleased with your kind comments and are happy you enjoyed the shows.

I do hope that you will be returning in the near future and if you would like any prices, please feel free to contact us on 01255 820651.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Good points
*caravan was clean on arrival
*nice beach right next to park
*park grounds were clean & tidy
*good parking facilities
*drinks in clubhouse cheap
*peacefull location (however we would of preferred to be walking distance to clacton on sea)

Bad points
*kids daytime activities - there wasn't enough going on and when thay did do things they only lasted half hour and wasn't exactly well organised plus some were chargeable (£6 per child)
*swimming pool is tiny & overcrowded

We had a nice time at orchards club house and evening entertainment was fine , however daytime luckily we was driving so we went out to clacton on sea peir which was fantastic , we also went horse riding in clacton which was fun , a mini farm where the animals roam freely ! Again in clacton ! The site could improve which more daytime stuff for kids .. Drinks and food prices good , we would return

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Sarah H

Hi Sarah H

Thank you for reviewing your holiday at The Orchards.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us and found your caravan to be clean and the Park and grounds tidy. I have passed your kind comments onto the managers to feed back to the team. I am sure they will be most pleased.

Thank you for your comments regarding the daytime activities and the swimming pool. Our Sports and Leisure and Entertainments Manager has been made aware of these.

We are situated in a quiet area but as you mentioned there are many activities and places to visit in the local area. Clacton Pier is very popular with our Holidaymakers and the mini farm is definitely worth a visit.

It’s good to hear that you will be looking to return and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We have just come back from a long weekend here and really did have a great time, the kids loved it! The pool could do with a remake and they need to limit the amount of people they let in but the evening entertainment is brilliant for the kids and all food and drink on site is reasonably priced. The beach is just next to the site and is clean and sandy, so with coats we sat and let the kids play with buckets and spades. If you are looking for a cheap getaway where the kids are always happy then this is the place to go.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Orchards H, Manager at The Orchards Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Hi KatyR281

Thank you for your great review.

I am so happy to hear that yourself and your family had a brilliant weekend with us.
We have had really good feedback in regards to the Entertainment and it is fantastic to hear that your children enjoyed this.

The beach next to the site is excellent for the kids to play and there is also some good crabbing point’s aswell.

I do hope that after your stay with us you will be returning in the near future. Please feel free to contact me on 01255 820651 to see what great offers are available.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I took my 3 girls aged 6,8,and 9 here for our 1st week of the easter hols,arrived at lunchtime Monday,went to the mash and barrel for some lunch,kids wanted ham sandwichs but was told they had run out of ham,not a good start as it was a new week with new familys arriving,went back in the evening for a meal and kids wanted burgers,again told they had run out,not impressed,i ordered a prawn cocktail and after eating a slice of the bread which was served with it I noticed mould on it,made me feel sick to think I had already eaten some,i sent it back and was told sorry and I wouldn't be charged for it.i wasn't gonna pay anyway.decided then that we would not be eating there the rest of the week,lucky the papa johns on site was very nice,pizza was lovely and not over expensive,the Chinese also was very nice and we were very happy with the food.daytime entertainment wasn't very good for my age range of kids and not a lot for them to do,they went on the water walzers and all 3 of them were broke and the kids got soaked when in them so had to get a refund on them,kids were very upset,we also hired a go kart which broke half way round the park,chain came off and wheels locked,i don't think the chain had ever seen any oil it was so rusty,again got a refund and kids upset.the caravan was really nice,we were in the hallows area and wasn't to far from the entertainment for the evening which was very good for the kids,the pool wasn't very big for the size of the park and got very busy,locks on some changing room doors were broke and toilet door locks broke or very hard so kids were to scared to lock it incase they got stuck in there.we left very early on the Friday morning and headed to southend and had the best day of the holiday there.will not return to the orchards.

Hi tracyb75

Thank you for reviewing your holiday with us.

I am sorry to hear of the issues you encountered during your stay. Feedback is invaluable to us and really appreciate your comments. I have passed all of your feedback on and any action will be taken to improve on these areas.

I am pleased though that you were happy with your accommodation in the Hollows area and Papa Johns pizza, it definitely is a favourite with many holidaymakers!

I do hope that despite your present feelings, you would consider returning to The Orchards where you will experience a great stay. If you do wish to return please call me on 01255 820651 and for returning guests we do have some great offers available.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

It was our first time here and we had a fantastic time, the caravan was clean and nicely furnished however it was cold in the bedrooms on a night but that was the only downside. All the staff were friendly and helpful. There was lots to keep our busy 3 year old happy, the indoor pool nd playground were a bit hit for us. We recommend it to others and will definately return in the future.

Room Tip: Upgrade for heating in the bedrooms if you're staying in the cooler minths.
1  Thank sabz86

Hi sabz86

Thank you for taking your time to review your holiday at The Orchards.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your first holiday with us and found your accommodation to be clean and nicely furnished. The Accommodation Team will be most pleased to hear this feedback.

Thank you for your comments regarding the team being friendly and helpful. They all work so hard, making sure everyone’s stay is as enjoyable as possible.

There are plenty of activities to keep everyone entertained and we do hope that you will be visiting us again soon.