“A small group in four caravans: a good time had by all”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clacton-on-Sea
The Orchards Holiday Park - Haven
Shoreham-by-Sea
“A small group in four caravans: a good time had by all”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We have just returned from a mid-week break to The Orchards. Our small group consisted of two young families and two sets of grandparents in four caravans all booked at separate times. We all praised the helpfulness of the reception team to ensure our caravans were located close together which they were. Perfect.

The accommodation and layout couldn't be more different which shows the variety of caravans which are on offer. We all said how modern, clean and comfortable the Prestige units were. All had full gas central heating with exception to the second young family in our group who opted for a Deluxe Plus. I even commented that our Prestige caravan must have been the best unit we have stayed in and that's a fair few over the years.

Although, on the first night, my toe caught an exposed bed spring the mattress was promptly replaced with a brand new (more comfortable) one within an hour after reporting it the following day. This is one thing we have always found; the team at Haven really do work hard to please.

We didn't expect too much from the site as we expected it to be much more of a quieter week after Easter. We were all after a relaxing few days away and that's exactly what we got.

The food in the Mash and Barrel was good but the portions could be a little more for the adults and a little less for young kids.

The entertainment with Haven is familiar and the team work hard to make it a great experience for all – even if the Live Lounge was more quiet compared to other weeks.

We had hoped to have taken our 7 month old to the new Baby Sensory Experience which intrigued us as my partner was a Baby Sensory practitioner but unable to attend. Instead our friends took their 17 month old but had to leave when the use of the microphone and speakers over powered the whole baby sensory experience.

The volume in the Live Lounge was commented amongst us several times when clarity was often overruled with volume and forced to move further back. You did feel you needed to protect your ears and can't be doing the hearing of the little ones any good. I think a professional sound check or tuition to the team wouldn't go amiss.

The Orchards is a big site with lots to do but somewhat disappointed to see that The Ferry Pub at the far end of the park didn't do food when popped in for lunch one day which made for very hungry families walking all the way back to the Spar shop – now that's a half hour walk for some in their senior years!

Would we go back? Probably. However, with many more Haven Holiday Parks to explore, I don't think we would be going back just yet. If we do then it would be during a more busier part of the season when I think this park could really come to life.

Room Tip: Check the map – it's a large site. Just ask the team at Haven if you need anything and they will...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dean C
Orchards H, Manager at The Orchards Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Hi deanodog_uk

Thank you for reviewing your holiday at The Orchards and its nice to hear overall you enjoyed your stay.

We do try our utmost to meet location requests and I am so pleased that yourself and your family were located close together. We do have different makes and models of caravans and I am happy that your caravan was the best you had stayed in.

I do apologise for the mattress in your caravan but hope you encountered no further problems once the mattress had been changed.

Thank you for your comments regarding The Orchards team. They all work really hard to make sure your holiday is enjoyable as it can be.

Your feedback regarding the Baby Sensory has been passed onto the Entertainments
Manager who will see where improvements can be made.

We would love to welcome you back and if you would like to visit us again, please do not hesitate to call us on 01255 820651.

Holiday Experience Team Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
england
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Me, my husband and 1 year old daughter stayed here for Monday-Friday after Easter. Upon arrival all was great. There was a bit of a queue for check in but it moved quickly and the reception staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We booked as part of the Sun deal, but paid to upgrade to deluxe plus, though when we checked in we were told our caravan had been upgraded to Prestige.
I'm glad we were though as this had central heating and it would have been cold in the evening without it.

We had a few issues in our stay, we booked a travel cot and highchair and only the cot was in our accommodation. However a quick phone call to reception had one delivered within less than an hour. I am still waiting for my deposit to be returned though, so might need to call and find out when I can expect it.
I did find some food debris and dust under the corner of the seating area, plus the batteries of the remote control were held on with tape, which meant squeezing it to get it to work. Not massive issues with accommodation but this is meant to be prestige.

The entertainment staff did a good job, I expect the children all slept well as there was plenty of dancing, jumping and running around. I only encountered one miserable staff member, who was serving on the bar in the main hall. Other than her, everyone else was great.
We did have a problem when trying to dine at the Mash & Barrel, we sat down around 6.30pm and by 7.15pm we hadn't had any food. So we asked our waitress whether it might be much longer and after another 5 mins, someone else came back and said our ticket couldn't be found in the kitchen. As our daughter is only young it was too late to reorder so we had to buy emergency provisions from the onsite Spar. Not the meal any of us were hoping for, but thank god it is there and open till quite late.

As others have said you will need transport if you want to do anything. We spent everyday off site and if we had needed to stay at the resort I would have been bored after a couple of days as there isn't much to do. We went swimming once and the water felt pretty cold, even in the baby section. The changing rooms are a good size but with only a tiny bench at one end, its hard getting back into clothing with a young child. If you go peak season beware there are only 3 showers in the ladies and about 10 changing rooms, can imagine it would get very crowded.

All in all it wasn't a bad stay but with all the extras (£140 roughly) we paid for on top of the £48 we paid Sun id choose somewhere else with more going on.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hi dottyd2006

Thank you for reviewing your stay at The Orchards.

I am pleased to hear that upon arrival to The Orchards, all was great and you found the Reception Team extremely friendly and helpful. All the Team read the reviews that are posted and they are very happy with your feedback.

I do apologise for the delay in the highchair being delivered to you but am pleased that this was rectified quickly for you. The Accommodation Manager is aware of your feedback regarding the few issues in your caravan and will take any action where necessary.

I am sorry to hear of your experience in the Mash and Barrel. Our aim is to meet and exceed all of our guests expectations and your comments will help us achieve this.

I do hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to The Orchards.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights at Easter with my mum and 2 sons. We arrived earlier than the check in time but our van was ready and were pleasantly surprised with our standard plus caravan! Appeared to be new with loads of space and lovely kitchen with everything we needed, flat screen tv etc.

The site is on a peninsular about 6 miles outside clacton with no village / town in walking distance so you will need to drive to get anywhere. The sea walk around the peninsular is lovely but there really is nothing there! No shops in sight! Only sign of life in the beach is a cafe with a slightly grumpy owner but they do nice fish and chips!

As always the kids LOVE the entertainment and the staff make such an effort.

I don't think I'd go back to this site as we like a little more to do/see in walking distance but ok for a few days :)

Hi Sunloverwithkiddlies

Thank you for taking the time to review your holiday with us.

I am pleased to hear that upon arrival, we were able to check you in earlier that your designated check in time and that you were happy with your caravan.

As you say we are located on a peninsular about 6 miles from Clacton but we do have a regular bus service direct from outside the Park if you don’t drive.

I am glad the kids enjoyed the Entertainment. The Team do work hard to provide fun entertainment and they will be most pleased with your feedback.

I hope you have many more enjoyable holidays with Haven.

Birmingham
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed Monday - Friday during our Easter Holidays (but local children were back at school so less crowded than the week before). In future I will request a no-smoking caravan as ours smelled of cigarettes, but a spritz or two of febreeze sorted that out. The caravan was everything it needed to be, comfortable, warm (we only used the heater in the lounge), basic but reasonable kitchen and we parked next to the caravan. The children loved the adventure playground, the harbour, the beach, the seaside squad shows and the arcade. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, I have been to other Haven's where the staff were a bit 'jobsworth' but here they couldn't do enough for us, and when my friend and her children visited us they had a great time too! While here we visited Colchester Zoo which was fantastic! Our kids are 5 and 8. We stayed on one of the Sun holiday deals.

Room Tip: we upgraded 2 levels from basic, and got an ensuite for the main bedroom!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hi HRBrum

Thank you for your amazing review for your stay at The Orchards.

I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us and found your caravan to be everything you needed. However I do apologise for the slight smell of smoke. If you had let us know we would have been able to rectify this for you. We do ask our guests to smoke outside the accommodations.

I am glad to hear that your children enjoyed the many facilities on Park and the surrounding area. I have had many visits to Colchester Zoo and it is always a fantastic day.

Thank you for your comments regarding the helpfulness of the team. We do try to make your stay as enjoyable as possible and am pleased this was the case.

I do hope that you will be returning to The Orchards and look forward to welcoming you back.

ramsgate
Reviewed 24 April 2014

After reading reviews was bit worried but on arriving was very pleased. Lovely caravan brand new 2 toilets 3 bedrooms. Short walk to beach for lovely walks food in restaurant reasonably priced. Yes some property bit rundown but overall very nice park but where was the fish and chip takeaway?

• Stayed April 2014
Orchards H, Manager at The Orchards Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Hi claire37Ramsgate

Thank you very much for reviewing your holiday.

I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay at The Orchards Holiday Park, especially your caravan.

The beach and the sea wall surrounding the Park do provide nice walks and I am glad you enjoyed these.

Unfortunately we don’t have a Fish and Chip shop onsite, but we do have a Papa Johns pizza and Chinese Takeaway.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Arrived for a mid week break Monday to Friday, check in was easy with plenty of staff booking people in. We had a caravan with heating, and I can not fault it at all, very clean and well equipped. The Spar shop was well stocked with a good selection of fruit, fresh breads and drinks, it was not overpriced like some campsites. The site is well layed out and we really enjoyed the walk around the sea wall.

I would not let the kids use the pool as it was very small for the size of the site and always overcrowded, it looked dirty and it had to close due to a child being sick in the pool which put me off.

They really need to sort out how activities are booked had to wait for 40 minutes in the hot swimming pool to get a ticket for the trampolines to be then told they were closed. Kids did archery and shooting felt 8 pound a go was expensive as only one instructor so the did not get many turns.

The fun stars were really good and got the crowd going, felt they were better than the acts brought in, cash bingo payed good money, overall lots of evening entertainment. Did not like to see very young children out late with ear muffs on crying in their buggies as they were so tired, there seemed a lot at this site.

Overall had a great time and the kids loved it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Birdy227
Hi Birdy227

Thank you for your feedback from your holiday with us at The Orchards Holiday Park.

It’s good to hear that you enjoyed your holiday and was happy with your accommodation and your check in upon arrival. I must agree the Spar shop on site is well stocked and the bakery selection is very tasty!!

I am sorry to hear that you didn’t use the pool during your stay. Unfortunately sometimes accidents do happen in the Swimming Pool but I can assure you that the pool is fully cleaned prior to being reopened.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the activities and I do apologise for the delay you experienced when booking them. Your comments have been passed onto the Sports and Leisure Manager to see where improvements can be made.

The Entertainments Manager and her team are extremely pleased with your kind comments and are happy you enjoyed the shows.

I do hope that you will be returning in the near future and if you would like any prices, please feel free to contact us on 01255 820651.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Good points
*caravan was clean on arrival
*nice beach right next to park
*park grounds were clean & tidy
*good parking facilities
*drinks in clubhouse cheap
*peacefull location (however we would of preferred to be walking distance to clacton on sea)

Bad points
*kids daytime activities - there wasn't enough going on and when thay did do things they only lasted half hour and wasn't exactly well organised plus some were chargeable (£6 per child)
*swimming pool is tiny & overcrowded

We had a nice time at orchards club house and evening entertainment was fine , however daytime luckily we was driving so we went out to clacton on sea peir which was fantastic , we also went horse riding in clacton which was fun , a mini farm where the animals roam freely ! Again in clacton ! The site could improve which more daytime stuff for kids .. Drinks and food prices good , we would return

1 Thank Sarah H
Hi Sarah H

Thank you for reviewing your holiday at The Orchards.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us and found your caravan to be clean and the Park and grounds tidy. I have passed your kind comments onto the managers to feed back to the team. I am sure they will be most pleased.

Thank you for your comments regarding the daytime activities and the swimming pool. Our Sports and Leisure and Entertainments Manager has been made aware of these.

We are situated in a quiet area but as you mentioned there are many activities and places to visit in the local area. Clacton Pier is very popular with our Holidaymakers and the mini farm is definitely worth a visit.

It’s good to hear that you will be looking to return and look forward to welcoming you back soon.