“Nice site shame about the noise and drugs”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clacton-on-Sea
The Orchards Holiday Park - Haven
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Nice site shame about the noise and drugs”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Had a weeks break here and on first arrival seemed a nice quiet holiday park until night time then all changed we had a caravan near the path which runs to the rear of the park and all we could hear was groups coming back from the club shouting and drunk there seems to be no security to deal with this issue. The other thing we noticed was a lot of people smoking cannabis outside the club on an evening and you have to walk through this to get in which is not pleasant.

To me the Orchards is a weekend retreat for people who work in the city and just want to turn up in groups and party rather than a family holiday park as there was large groups of adults renting several vans near us.

Room Tip: Ask to be located away from any walkway and do be placed near the club or camping area.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mark s
Orchards H, Manager at The Orchards Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Hi Mark S

Thank you for reviewing your holiday with us.

I do apologise for the noise disturbances you encountered during your stay. We do have a Security Team available who carries out regular patrols on Park and are contactable 24 hours a day.

I would like to assure you that we have a zero tolerance policy to drugs and any unsociable behaviour and would like to thank you for your feedback regarding this. Your feedback has been passed onto Security Team.

I do hope that you will choose to holiday at The Orchards again and if you would like any prices, please do not hesitate to call on 01255 820651.

Holiday Experience Team Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Just had a 4dy break here. My caravan was clean And everything was in good working order. Staff were helpful and friendly and really made A big effort with the children. Clacton on sea beach isn't very far and there is sea side areas very near for walks. I suggest going in the summer as more things will be available as the weather permits. There is a restaurant and convinence store on site also. Overall a good holiday break and we came back with a tired and happy child

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank J3ril33
Hi J3ril33

Thank you for taking the time to review your holiday at The Orchards.

I am pleased to hear that you were happy with your caravan and found the team here to be helpful and friendly. Your kind comments have been passed onto all of the team.

Clacton Beach is definitely worth a visit and you are able to have a lovely walk around the sea wall which surrounds our Park. Also a great opportunity for crabbing!!

I do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Haven The Orchards from 28th April - 2nd May
I booked a 3 bedroom Standard Caravan direct with Haven, leading up to our arrival date I enquired about upgrading to a Deluxe Plus and was advised the price would be £45, I contacted the park on the morning of our arrival and was told to wait until we checked in to upgrade as it would be cheaper on site than through customer service.
I arrived at the park at 1PM, I was told I could upgrade to Superior for £20 or Prestige for £50. We went with Superior, the van was ready right away.
We stayed in Parklands which was very close to the main amenities.
The caravan was impeccably clean, a 2013 model. There was central heating throughout.
Spacious cupboards and ample storage for our belongings.
The only downside was the fridge was slightly small - there were 3 adults so we all had our own food and ended up struggling to fit our 5 day supply of food into the fridge. There was a separate freezer.

The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. I asked them for suggestions and they were happy to take time to help our party.

The food was fairly priced, 25% discount in Mash & Barrel between 3PM-5PM
Breakfast was £2.95 for a child's 4 item plus juice, £3.95 for a 5 item, £7.95 for a 10 item which included unlimited tea or coffee.
Toast and jam was £1.90.

They served a kids breakfast on a character place and cup set for £9.95 inclusive of the breakfast cost or seperately was £7.95

Small 6" character bears were £6.99-£7.99, large 15" ones were £12.99
Small circle balloons were £3.50, large character shaped balloons were £4.50.

The arcades and entertainment were brilliant, my Daughter enjoyed the parades and shows.

We attended character breakfast which was Wednesday and Friday. We met Anxious and Polly / Bradley Bear and Ned. Staff are happy to tell you who will be there the evening before if you ask in Live Lounge.

The swimming pool is slightly basic but the showers were nice. An inflatable ball cost £3

We had a lovely week away. My Daughter who is 2 and half had a brilliant time. This is her 3rd visit to Haven but 1st time at The Orchards. We will certainly return.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank hatti123
Hi hatti123

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that yourself and family had an enjoyable stay.

I am pleased that you were able to check in your accommodation early and that you found this to be impeccably clean and spacious. I have passed your fantastic feedback on to the Accommodation Manager who will share this with her team.

The Reception Team were also most happy with your comments.

The Mash and Barrel restaurant does have a fantastic menu and as you mentioned, some great discounts between 3pm and 5pm.

I do hope we will be welcoming you back in the near future and if you would like any prices, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01255 820651. As you have visited us already this year, you will receive an extra discount.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We did not expect alot after reading reviews however was surprised. Staff really friendly on arrival. The accommodation was clean very well equipped. Public area ok however the main entertainment hall was a bit whiffy. My grandaughter loved the kids entertainment. Anxious elephant and Co entertained their little hearts out. Will defo look to book again in the future. You get what you paid for so was value for money.

Kirk family.

Room Tip: Upgrade to next caravan
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tel43
Orchards H, Manager at The Orchards Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Hi Tel43

Thank you for reviewing your holiday at The Orchards and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

It’s lovely to hear that you were pleased with your caravan and that your granddaughter enjoyed the entertainment, especially Anxious and her friends.

I do hope some lovely memories were created during your holiday and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Shoreham-by-Sea
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We have just returned from a mid-week break to The Orchards. Our small group consisted of two young families and two sets of grandparents in four caravans all booked at separate times. We all praised the helpfulness of the reception team to ensure our caravans were located close together which they were. Perfect.

The accommodation and layout couldn't be more different which shows the variety of caravans which are on offer. We all said how modern, clean and comfortable the Prestige units were. All had full gas central heating with exception to the second young family in our group who opted for a Deluxe Plus. I even commented that our Prestige caravan must have been the best unit we have stayed in and that's a fair few over the years.

Although, on the first night, my toe caught an exposed bed spring the mattress was promptly replaced with a brand new (more comfortable) one within an hour after reporting it the following day. This is one thing we have always found; the team at Haven really do work hard to please.

We didn't expect too much from the site as we expected it to be much more of a quieter week after Easter. We were all after a relaxing few days away and that's exactly what we got.

The food in the Mash and Barrel was good but the portions could be a little more for the adults and a little less for young kids.

The entertainment with Haven is familiar and the team work hard to make it a great experience for all – even if the Live Lounge was more quiet compared to other weeks.

We had hoped to have taken our 7 month old to the new Baby Sensory Experience which intrigued us as my partner was a Baby Sensory practitioner but unable to attend. Instead our friends took their 17 month old but had to leave when the use of the microphone and speakers over powered the whole baby sensory experience.

The volume in the Live Lounge was commented amongst us several times when clarity was often overruled with volume and forced to move further back. You did feel you needed to protect your ears and can't be doing the hearing of the little ones any good. I think a professional sound check or tuition to the team wouldn't go amiss.

The Orchards is a big site with lots to do but somewhat disappointed to see that The Ferry Pub at the far end of the park didn't do food when popped in for lunch one day which made for very hungry families walking all the way back to the Spar shop – now that's a half hour walk for some in their senior years!

Would we go back? Probably. However, with many more Haven Holiday Parks to explore, I don't think we would be going back just yet. If we do then it would be during a more busier part of the season when I think this park could really come to life.

Room Tip: Check the map – it's a large site. Just ask the team at Haven if you need anything and they will...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dean C
Hi deanodog_uk

Thank you for reviewing your holiday at The Orchards and its nice to hear overall you enjoyed your stay.

We do try our utmost to meet location requests and I am so pleased that yourself and your family were located close together. We do have different makes and models of caravans and I am happy that your caravan was the best you had stayed in.

I do apologise for the mattress in your caravan but hope you encountered no further problems once the mattress had been changed.

Thank you for your comments regarding The Orchards team. They all work really hard to make sure your holiday is enjoyable as it can be.

Your feedback regarding the Baby Sensory has been passed onto the Entertainments
Manager who will see where improvements can be made.

We would love to welcome you back and if you would like to visit us again, please do not hesitate to call us on 01255 820651.

england
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Me, my husband and 1 year old daughter stayed here for Monday-Friday after Easter. Upon arrival all was great. There was a bit of a queue for check in but it moved quickly and the reception staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We booked as part of the Sun deal, but paid to upgrade to deluxe plus, though when we checked in we were told our caravan had been upgraded to Prestige.
I'm glad we were though as this had central heating and it would have been cold in the evening without it.

We had a few issues in our stay, we booked a travel cot and highchair and only the cot was in our accommodation. However a quick phone call to reception had one delivered within less than an hour. I am still waiting for my deposit to be returned though, so might need to call and find out when I can expect it.
I did find some food debris and dust under the corner of the seating area, plus the batteries of the remote control were held on with tape, which meant squeezing it to get it to work. Not massive issues with accommodation but this is meant to be prestige.

The entertainment staff did a good job, I expect the children all slept well as there was plenty of dancing, jumping and running around. I only encountered one miserable staff member, who was serving on the bar in the main hall. Other than her, everyone else was great.
We did have a problem when trying to dine at the Mash & Barrel, we sat down around 6.30pm and by 7.15pm we hadn't had any food. So we asked our waitress whether it might be much longer and after another 5 mins, someone else came back and said our ticket couldn't be found in the kitchen. As our daughter is only young it was too late to reorder so we had to buy emergency provisions from the onsite Spar. Not the meal any of us were hoping for, but thank god it is there and open till quite late.

As others have said you will need transport if you want to do anything. We spent everyday off site and if we had needed to stay at the resort I would have been bored after a couple of days as there isn't much to do. We went swimming once and the water felt pretty cold, even in the baby section. The changing rooms are a good size but with only a tiny bench at one end, its hard getting back into clothing with a young child. If you go peak season beware there are only 3 showers in the ladies and about 10 changing rooms, can imagine it would get very crowded.

All in all it wasn't a bad stay but with all the extras (£140 roughly) we paid for on top of the £48 we paid Sun id choose somewhere else with more going on.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hi dottyd2006

Thank you for reviewing your stay at The Orchards.

I am pleased to hear that upon arrival to The Orchards, all was great and you found the Reception Team extremely friendly and helpful. All the Team read the reviews that are posted and they are very happy with your feedback.

I do apologise for the delay in the highchair being delivered to you but am pleased that this was rectified quickly for you. The Accommodation Manager is aware of your feedback regarding the few issues in your caravan and will take any action where necessary.

I am sorry to hear of your experience in the Mash and Barrel. Our aim is to meet and exceed all of our guests expectations and your comments will help us achieve this.

I do hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to The Orchards.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights at Easter with my mum and 2 sons. We arrived earlier than the check in time but our van was ready and were pleasantly surprised with our standard plus caravan! Appeared to be new with loads of space and lovely kitchen with everything we needed, flat screen tv etc.

The site is on a peninsular about 6 miles outside clacton with no village / town in walking distance so you will need to drive to get anywhere. The sea walk around the peninsular is lovely but there really is nothing there! No shops in sight! Only sign of life in the beach is a cafe with a slightly grumpy owner but they do nice fish and chips!

As always the kids LOVE the entertainment and the staff make such an effort.

I don't think I'd go back to this site as we like a little more to do/see in walking distance but ok for a few days :)

• Stayed April 2014
Hi Sunloverwithkiddlies

Thank you for taking the time to review your holiday with us.

I am pleased to hear that upon arrival, we were able to check you in earlier that your designated check in time and that you were happy with your caravan.

As you say we are located on a peninsular about 6 miles from Clacton but we do have a regular bus service direct from outside the Park if you don’t drive.

I am glad the kids enjoyed the Entertainment. The Team do work hard to provide fun entertainment and they will be most pleased with your feedback.

I hope you have many more enjoyable holidays with Haven.