“So friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 14 Clacton-on-Sea B&B and Inns
Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom
“So friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Stayed for 2 nights such friendly and helpful people do not agree in anyway with some other reviews saying avoid this is certainly a place I would recommend to any one very clean,great cooked breakfast,cannot fault.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

I cannot understand the comments of a couple of other people, I booked for 2 nights with my husband and 12 year old daughter, we were having such a nice time we asked if we could stay another night and although this meant changing our room and having to have a single bed put in the owners John and Pia went out of their way to accomodate us. Both of the rooms we stayed in were very clean and comfortable, I can honestly say there were no signs of bedbugs! The comment about John and Pia being drunk is very unfair, they welcomed us into what felt like their home and we spent a very relaxing time with them and other guests watching TV and playing pool. Pia is a very nice lady and my daughter grew very fond of her. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they are both very hard working and Paige who served the lovely breakfast was also kind, efficient and very helpful. We loved the informal atmosphere and we will be going back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ruth S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

My husband and our two boys have just stayed at this hotel for two nights. I cannot fault it whatsoever for the price we paid, we had the family room which was spotlessly clean and quite modern. I do not understand the comment about bedbugs, obviously just a nasty person out to destroy a small business! The owners and staff could not have been more accommodating and were very friendly. The breakfasts were lovely with a good selection of cereals and yogurts, if you didn't fancy the full English. (which was lovely) All communal areas were also very clean. The sea view from our room was gorgeous also it was so central for everything including the train station. My boys loved their dog Charlie. I will definitely stay there again it was extremely good value for money.

• Stayed July 2013
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

I am absolutely disgusted by the attitude of the owner :John:we booked in on the 19th July for two nights,the lady who booked us in was Danish but had very good English which wasn't a problem as we both understood each other.Got to our room,it was clean and tidy with a sea view.We read other trip advisor comments about the Melrose but we thought all the negative comments must be from idiots who wanted to mar someone's business,how wrong could we be.Next morning after breakfast we asked not to have our room cleaned as it was ok,we were heading to car to take dogs out when the owner John come running out telling us were only booked for one night and that their fully booked,we explained we had booked two nights as his wife had said £120 for two nights,we wouldn't have just booked one night anywhere.It didn't matter what we said it was us that was in the wrong,he said his wife is Danish and their must have been a communication problem,we understood each other very well.2 nights at £60 = £120 which was what she told us.Then he told us tough luck were fully booked so just ho pack your bags and get out.Absolutely vile man with no manners or interest other than making making money.They used us to fill in for one night then told us to sling our hook,I even told him we would be putting a trip advisor on and his attitude was " do as you want I don't care what people think of me or my business".Perhaps the other trippys were right,maybe they were drunk.We travelled 5 hours to be treat like ,The man needs to learn some manners when dealing with customers who keep him in business and not treat people like dirt.I will never ever recommend this place to anyone,in fact they shouldn't be in this business with their attitude,The only positive thing I can say is they have a gorgeous west highland terrier called Charlie,beautiful dog,perhaps he can teach its owners some manners as it was well behaved.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Izzy W
sommer00, Manager at Melrose Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
In response to the (AVOID AT ALL COSTS) Review

Firstly I would like to say that although I was not present when his wife came in to enquire about accommodation, I have been assured by my partner that at no time did the couple request two nights or were offered two nights accommodation.

The couple say that the next morning during our confrontation that whatever they said as far as I was concerned they were in the wrong.

This is not the case, I tried to stress on a number of times, when I could get a word in. That I did not know what had gone wrong with this couples booking and it was EITHER a misunderstanding on OUR part or THEIRS, but whilst I was apologising and trying to work out what had gone wrong, I was also trying to explain that sorry but there was nothing I could do as the hotel was fully booked on the Saturday.

He claims that I said, (TOUGH LUCK WERE FULLY BOOKED SO JUST PACK YOUR BAGS AND LEAVE) At no time did I use the word (TOUGH)

As the conversation became more heated I did say to the gentleman that he should collect his things and leave the hotel,

BUT

This was after he informed me in no uncertain terms that he WOULD NOT BE PAYING FOR THE NIGHT THAT THEY HAD STAYED WITH US.

I feel that this is an important fact that he has failed to mention. Because if as he suggests we were just trying to fill a room for the night, Then surely my partner would be expecting a confrontation the next morning. And she would have in that aspect have asked for payment up front to make sure that as he suggests we had got our money for the room ???

I was out at the time this couple arrived, but as I spoke to my partner upon returning to the hotel she informed me that she had let room 7 to a nice couple with two dogs for one night and had not taken payment as she thought it was better to let them get settled in and take their two dogs for a walk after their long journey. As they seemed nice people, she thought we can sort out money in the morning.

Not good business practice but we are easy going people and we do care for the comfort of our guests.

He also says that I gave the impression I don't care what people on trip advisor think about me or my business,
This is obviously nonsense, trip advisor and other similar sites are very important to businesses like myself, they often give useful feedback, some of it is good and yes some can be bad. the bad as long as it is constructive we as a business can learn from and improve the service we provide.

When he threatened me with the fact that he would be writing about us on trip advisor my response was, that is fine, but I can also respond to his comments, AS I AM DOING NOW.

The situation that occurred between us was unfortunate and I still do not understand what went wrong with the booking,
Our fault or theirs I don't know, but I do say that, the one time that I spoke to them which was on the Friday afternoon when they were taking their dogs for a walk they did come across as a nice couple. so it is regrettable how things turned out

To finish as mentioned this was an unfortunate incident hopefully with lessons learnt on both sides and mistakes never to be repeated,

This ended up a bit more long winded than I intended but as he feels it is important to put his points across on this site, I feel it is important for myself to be heard also.

If you made it this far, thank you, if you feel inclined you are more than welcome to visit us and draw your own conclusions about me, my partner and our hotel, and if you wish afterwards you can share your opinion with other people on trip advisor, as I say I welcome honest reviews and constructive criticism. Me and my partner are always willing to learn.

To finish The couples cute dogs would always be welcomed back to this hotel as our dog Charlie would love a visit.

John & Pia
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

Ok here's the good points - The room was ok for what we paid for it, the sea view was great and the room was clean. Bad points - The owners look like they may have a bit of a drink problem, Jon seemed fine but obviously drunk from the moment we checked in, his partner however seemed to be drinking also and was a very opinionated lady, she was ok but annoying with her comments. I would go back to this hotel based on the rooms but not while they are drinking the way they do especially when you have kids. My kids loved playing with Charlie the dog though

Room Tip: Some rooms aren't en-suite so if you require this be sure to request it before you book
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Boston, Lincs
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

Never again! The owner and his partner got steadily drunk with two friends, whilst eating fish and chips in the bar area. The next night when we went in two young people were playing video games at full volume on the t.v. in the bar area. The room was o.k. with tea and coffee making facilities but was in dire need of redecorating. The shower was impossible! There was either hot (scalding) water or cold water - not both together. We gave up and just washed. The sight of the woman going up the stairs in a short nightdress in the morning put me off my breakfast. I did not need to see her nether region. Charlie the dog was cute.

Room Tip: We did have a lovely sea view and en suite.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Sarah B
Basildon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

Just had a great stay at the Melrose I was on an intense driving course, I was on my own for the first 2 days then my Husband joined me and the owners allowed us to bring our little dog too. We had a great stay and found the hotel clean and cosy the decor is being updated at the moment and we look forward to going back next year when my Husband does the same course. We may be back for a weekend break before then though! A great stay overall the owners and staff were more than accommodating with any requests we had and went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple