“An honest review that's not totally negative.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Laxfield Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clacton-on-Sea
The Laxfield Hotel
Ranked #11 of 14 Clacton-on-Sea B&B and Inns
Kent
“An honest review that's not totally negative.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights and had a top floor small double room at the front of the building. I was a lone female travelling for business purposes.

PRO's: I found the gentleman running the hotel to be very helpful. I asked for a small jug of fresh milk as the milk had been off in the room, which he gave to me - no quibbles. On arrival, the toilet on the top floor was blocked by too much toilet roll, I told the owner and by the next time I had need for the loo it was unblocked. In the room was a (small) TV that had freeview channels. The view from my room was nice, to the right was the sea. In fact location, location, location is the major + for this hotel. Being a few minutes walk to Clacton pier and the amusements, eateries, bars, etc. There is plenty of parking on the road at weekends and overnight. The breakfast was good. Some cereal choices, juice (better if it'd been chilled), kettle, toaster with bread, butter and condiments. The cooked option was cooked and served by a friendly fella, who remembered what you'd had the morning before. Honest and well-cooked full English.

CONS: As mentioned by others, the cleanliness is an issue. The communal shower rooms/toilets are soooo important. The shower on the top floor is horrid. To improve, take all the bottles of shampoo/shower gel that people have left behind out and throw them away, also the step/stool. There is very bad staining/limescale on the floor of the shower room. My reserve stopped me from asking at reception for some bleach/cleaner. I had one shower during my stay. Get rid of dusty 'things'. I always take slippers with me, and am always glad that I do! I didn't dare start looking closely at the bed, but as someone who goes camping regularly, sometimes ignorance is bliss! I slept fairly well. If you like good, matching decor.. do not come here. It's shabby and tired looking for the most-part. There's no street parking during the week, in the daytime.

In conclusion, I felt safe and welcome. I slept fairly well. Breakfast was filling and cooked with charisma. Would I stay here again? Possibly, if I had to go back to Clacton and if I was armed with cleaning products!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank mrs_oreilly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

My stay was in july, I needed somewhere "cheap" and quick, as was needing to go to a family funeral.....thought, all be good, as booking on line. Didnt think too much about it....Here goes, after travelling 7hrs arrived to be greeted bya miserable person,who claimed I had onlybooked for one night!!!, Itold him I had payed for two!!he muttered hed had problems online.....,He told me there was no tv,in the room. (I didnt care too much,as well needed a stay}. Trying to get intothe building....what a disaster, he was sarcastic, you had to turn the handle to the opposite way??...
My room, was tiny.....there was no milk in the room to make a tea, It was so hot, It was like staying in a bedsit. PURE FILTH......I found dust, on the shelf, carpets not cleaned.....
Getting a shower, was like well................no changing area, I hadnt bought any towels, the only one in my room was a handtowel!!, I had to walk dressed first from my room to the shower ....no where to put your clothes, there was a standard light in this prehistoric shower cubicle,Is that safe? no lock either......
Breakfast, Irisked......I was desperate...awful atmosphere....It was ok,
Comfort stay......No, If I had had the money, would have stayed travel lodge..........I was so upset,bout this I was crying on the first night..........peoplebanging doors, from rooms....shouting, oh yeah and the owner got hoover out at 7am.......What a night mare.........

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank JaneRobbins

Travellers are raving about these Clacton-on-Sea hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

Bed had bed bugs and showed owner and he killed one with hes fingers and he tryed to put me and my partner in a twin room but had to leave as couldnt stop itching... And then the owner told hes staff it wasnt bed bugs... After he killed 1 infront of us... Would never look at that hotel again!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank deanankat
Lancing, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

Horrible owner. As soon as we walked through the door it seemed as though we were dirt on the bottom on his feet. Though we probably were given the state of the 'hotel.' Carpet was foul and didn't even cover the whole room. Promise of a tv, you just don't expect that you can't see the thing. Milk was mouldy.
A smile from the owner probably would have made that stay a little bit bearable. I highly advise anyone to think again about staying here. It's 'cheap' but it's not worth it. An extra tenner to stay at the travelodge not far away is a far better investment, we only visited there, but their staff even cared more about us than this owner.

Room Tip: Don't choose any!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steph W
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

I was absolutely appalled with the hospitality of the owner of this hotel. When we first arrived he demanded we had not paid, we were unsure but he had a massive go at us which he didn't need to do! Then if matters couldn't get worse, we could not view the tv from our bed. In the morning we were relaxing in bed at 10.00, when we had a VERY rude hard banging on our door and a man yelling that we needed to be out by half 10. How is this hotel still allowed to run?? It's an absolute abomination that this man is allowed to be in the hotel business!!!!!!!!!! I felt like I was treated like a common animal...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jessica Y
Luton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

when we arrived owner was grumpy to say the least i know it was only £40 pound for the night but he had heating troubles and it was the day it was 30 degrees the breakfast was nice but i would not go there again or recommend it .

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Harlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

I have recently visited this hotel and although very wary of going after having read the previous reviews, the look and price seemed worth the effort. Myself and my daughter were having a cheap girlie weekend and thought we would give it a try. The rooms were very clean and tidy and had a home from home feel, the gentleman who greeted us was very inviting and welcomed us with a smile and we instantly felt comfortable. Although the rooms are not en-suite the location of the bathroom and toilets are within easy reach and are clean and kept to a good standard. The bar area in which you can relax and enjoy has a TV and is warm and welcoming. This hotel made our weekend and we would definitely go again and would recommend that you try it especially as it is right near the beach and pier and is very cheap. The Breakfast was superb too.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family