Esplanade Hotel
Frandon Hotel(Clacton-on-Sea)
Barton Hotel(Clacton-on-Sea)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
The Lemon Tree Hotel(Clacton-on-Sea)
  • Bar/Lounge
The Ocean Hotel(Clacton-on-Sea)
The Langtry Hotel(Clacton-on-Sea)
  • Beachfront
Chudleigh(Clacton-on-Sea)
The Sandrock(Clacton-on-Sea)
The Beeches(Clacton-on-Sea)
View Hotel
All reviewsflights of stairsthe hotel managerfull english breakfastroom with a sea viewtown centrebudget hotelspacious roomweekend breakbobby
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We have just returned from the Esplanade Hotel, we found the Hotel a bit dated in places as are most hotels, our room was clean, with 2 arm chairs, new bed. The full breakfast was as good as any top hotel,
I have stay lots of Hotels as I am a coach driver. And know that some people will alway look for the negative points and not the good bits.....

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CorbettBalding
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We just wanted a room for the night as we were spending a couple of days with relatives nearby.
The welcome was good, there was a grotty bit we had to pass on our way to our room but no big deal as they are in the middle of renovating. Our room was large, high ceilinged but sparsely furnished with a rail in lieu of a wardrobe but the bed was good. We were given a room with a beautiful sea view and watched the sunrise from our lovely bay window over the sea.The bathroom was newly renovated with a lovely shower.
Breakfast was excellent though 9.30 finish was a touch too early for us in the Christmas holidays!
Wi-fi was free and available but not in our room, I worked in the bar where I met the family who were charming. If you were on a business trip or really needed Wi-fi in the room it may be better to request that specifically.

Room Tip: Note Wi-Fi comment. Sea view was wonderful!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SmileyDawn
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We just stayed overnight and were given a very recently refurbished room with sea view. Everything was just fine, including the breakfast next morning. We only met two members of staff, both very pleasant and helpful. We would be pleased to stay again, and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pearl H
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I’ve just finished a short business stay at this hotel & was pleasantly surprised. I stay in hotels all over the UK most weeks & because my company aren’t too generous have to consider the price. The result of that is I’ve stayed in some very bad hotels, so I know one when I see one. But my stay here was excellent. Yes the building is old, most seaside hotels are, and yes you can see the joins where successive owners have changed the layout. Here my room was clean, tidy & warm. The bed was clean warm & comfortable so the first two things on my list were ticked OK. The room had a modern TV with built in DVD player & free Wi-Fi connection. The extra coffee & milk I asked for was also free, not something automatically available in hotels in this price range. The Bathroom was functional if a little worn & the shower was fine & the towels were clean & good quality, so I’m still ticking the OK boxes. The breakfast was first rate offering everything I’ve paid up to £10 for in other hotels. Other reviewers of this hotel have compared it Faulty Towers in a derogatory way. If you are a fan you will know that the hotel was fine it was only the manager that was the problem & that may be a little true in this case. The manager does appear a little brusque sometimes but that is more than compensated for by his wonderful staff. To a person they were helpful & polite. And at the end of the day I didn’t book the hotel to spend the night with the manager.As I was leaving a member of staff showed me around the part of the hotel that is currently being renovated & I was very impressed. At the time of writing there are four rooms finished & they are truly splendid, all with brand new Bathrooms & furniture. I would go out of my way to stay here again, but I’m afraid with the refurb he may put the prices up!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Geoff L
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Arrived at our room at 1st glance it's very tired looking but soon found wallpaper hanging off the wall debris on the floor the bathroom was mouldy and dirty if that wasn't bad enough at 11pm the manager decided to start doing some banging out in the hall with a hammer and chisel this went on for at least 15mins so we decided to up and leave and asked for a refund but he was extremely rude and refused point blank to give us a refund and then had the cheek to say it's only 11pm ! I advise everybody not to stay here ur better off in a bus shelter and the rats have more manners than what the manager at this hotel had !

• Stayed: December 2013