“Warning aggressive, intimidating, abusive landlord and blood stained rooms.”

and 1 more site!
Elmcroft Guest House
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Epping
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I have just got back today from what I can only describe as the most harrowing of experiences I have ever had in a guest house. The word guest house is an absolute joke. From the outside looks pretty and well kept, step into that front door and what a shock. It is filthy, carpets looked like they had never been hoovered and the house smelt dirty and musty. I was staying for 2 nights with a wedding party. It was so upsetting when we went into my friends room who was the bride the following day. The room was simply gut wrenching. It stank dust and cobwebs everywhere. The mirrors were all dirty and smeared and the carpets..Well believe me they had not seen a hoover for weeks. Shocking!! We tried contacting local travel lodges and other nearby hotels all of which were fully booked so to are disappointment it meant we would have to stay. Time was getting late and we were due to literally get changed and go out for a meal. We complained to des the owner who at first was apologising, firstly as he wasn't there when we arrived, Very unproffessional and secondly because the hotel was so dirty he simply said "Its been hectic here." The worst thing of all is that in one of the bedrooms there was a huge patch of fresh blood all over the carpet. Im talking alot of blood!! Des simply said a guest the night before had fallen and hit his head and he would clean it up later!!!! Unbelievable!!!! Actually believable as the top cover they put on the beds were so long that my room mate and I nearly tripped over it several time, consequently nearly knocking ourselves out on the bedside cabinets. Basically the whole place is no more than a 2 star hotel one you would visit and never ever set foot back in again. Luke warm water in the shower, dirty, old tea bags left uncovered with layer of dust on them.Yuk!! No milk a couple of times if there was any it was in a miniture england fridge in the hallway Class!! that says it all really!!! Had to ask for coffee. Breakfast was a shambles, actually cringe worthy. There wasn't enough seats for us all and we walked in the first morning and room was full of smoke. Des burnt the toast and didn't even open the window he waited for us to do it. No apology we had the choice of cornflakes, coco pops and burnt toast! oh and a museli! Just One jar of jam and marmalade which everyone has put their knife into!! we asked for margarine something every household has. He rudely replied "no" and turned his back. The manner of this guy you would not believe. Treats you like something off the bottom of his shoe. I personally think des over heard us talking because when we arrived back from the wedding to stay the 2nd night there had been a bit of a clean gone on. Very sneaky he overheard we were never going to pay full price. The blood stained carpet was wet where attempts had been made to clean it. Still even with clean up still very poorly done. Check out was almost like a Phil Mitchell scene from Eastenders. Interestingly I have read another persons review which was almost exact to the word of how he treated us. We went to pay des he had already agreed a discount for the blood in the rooms and the fact we turned up and it was filthy, so we were shocked when he asked for full amount. We calmly replied that we couldn't out of principle pay full price. With that his response was utterly disgraceful. He shot up from behind his desk and was clearly pumped up for a fight swearing at me and the other couples. Saying the foulest words and calling us gypos and saying we basically camre from council houses and then went on to say we had never stayed in a posh place like his!!! We were travel lodge people and the worst [--] people he had ever seen.Think he repeated this statement on average 10 times. He was the most aggressive man I have ever met. Foul mouthed intimidating, never ever destined to be a landlord. Proudly I can say there wasn't one swear word come out of our mouths so its lovely to know we remained dignified throughout a pretty scary ordeal. It ended with us getting a slight discount on the rooms but to be honest this was purely as if we didn't do this some of the men in our party would be down the police station for the day!! He was not worth this and he actually looked disappointed that iot hadn't kicked off. Please please read this and the other awful reviews and take warning. This place is not a place you should ever visit and please never take children. I have never ever had to go on this website site before but our experience was so terrible I wouldn't wish Des and his Hotel of horror to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mickytaylor
des88, Owner at Elmcroft Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

My name is Desmond Rees. I am the owner of "Elmcroft Guest House"
I have been in business for 40 years and in the Hospititality business for last 15.
I also sit on the board of one of the most high profile sports in the U.K. We hear complaints from sportsman, promoters and licence holders. My fellow members include, Barristers,Solicitors,Doctors, accountants.
"Elmcroft" was formerly my family home which We have lived in for 26 years. The house is detached, stands in 3 acres of land with mature gardens, stables, paddocks. (Virtual tour shortly to be released on Youtube) The house is aslo used by various model agencies for photoshoots.
Transparency. Our room rates are clearly advertised. Continental breakfast is complimentary and consists of unlimited tea/coffee Orange juice, Cereal, toast. English breakfast is £6.95 extra, same price for last 3 years. Parking is free.
Mr P and Miss C, visited the premises, without appointment some months ago with a view to booking there wedding stay. They booked immediatley.
On thursday 30th June at 4.30ish most of their party arrived. They were greeted by a member of staff who showed them their rooms. The mother of the bride untertook a survey of all of the rooms and complained that they had not been hovered, a mirror was not clean and a bathmat was damp.(Our log showed different, but nonetheless) I arrived back a member of staff was hovering; she vented the same complaint to me to which I replied that we would act immediatley. I instructed the staff member to hoover all the rooms and check everything else.
The daughter arrived at about 6.30, I greeted her she apoligised for her mother, I told her not to worry, everything had been taken care of.
Later that evening I enquired about breakfast, after some deliberation I was informed that everyone would be continental.(Earlier in the week I had a telephone call telling me that they would not be eating until late afternoon, so to hear that they only wanted a light breakfast was somewhat suprising) I told them we would serve breakfast from 7.30 onwards. Between 7.30 to 7.45 six people came down, we commenced service. During service that was definitley an air of unfriendliness as if they expected more than was on offer. One guest asked for margarine another Marmite, I replied we stock neither. Another 2 guests arrived 20 minutes later, stood talking to other guests and sat when they vacated.
The guest then left to get ready for the day. Right up until they left, not at any time did they acknowledge myself with any degree of good morning, goodbye, hoe are you? Very strange on what shoul be a joyous occasion.
During the day I deployed two staff members to make sure all the rooms were clean, check and double check. A small blood stain which had been the result of a accident the day before was given careful attention and the stain removed. What caused me particular concern what the state the Bride had left her room in, trashed. I have not witnessed such disrespect of this property ever. (In the Mothers statement she declares that her daughter had paid fot the room and could do as she pleased, she declared, we didnt have to clean up her mess) This statement just about sums up the aforementioned) They left for the Wedding day and arived back about 12.30am. I asked a guest I hadn`t seen before if he needed anything, he looked quite drunk and made no reply.
The next morning over breakfast was much the same as before with the same air of unfriendliness.
The party congrated outside the house talking amoungst themselves before six of the party led by the groom and his friend who had only stayed in the house the secong night. The groom opened the talks by saying that they were not happy with with their stay and was not prepared to pay the whole of the bill, he was prepared to make me an offer and if we didnt agree I could take them to small claims court for the difference. He argued that the rooms were not clean on arrival to which I replied that any complaints recieved were dealt with on the night witin half an hour. He re-itterated that he would make me an offer and I could take him to court for the difference.I then challanged the groom in respect of the trashing of the room by his wife, he made no apoligies or explanation.
To Sum up: This was a quite clearly a pre-meditated attempt for a party of people to find fault in an attempt to reduce their cost of their stay. The derisory offer to settle the account was a stunt. I would further confirm that that the balance of their account has been settled by credit card details freely offered on booking and without discount. The most dissapointing thing is that this was a weeding party who should be most ashamed of themselves.

Reviewed 5 June 2011

Easy to find with Sat Nav, but could do with clear sign from High Road.
Very convenient for Stanstead and Gaynes Park.
Friendly welcome from owner and homely atmosphere. Pleasant garden to sit in.
Comfortable rooms with ensuite facilities.

Room Tip: Rooms with king sized beds have more room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank jojonesbleadon
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Location: it was a bit difficult to find especially in the dark, but good location, close drive to Epping high street.

We came for a wedding so didn't spend much time in the B&B

Continental breakfast came free, full english was £6.99 pp.

Rooms: Our room was relatively small, had enough space to just walk around. the bathroom is a good size to fit shower, basin and toilet. There was everything we needed just for a nights sleep but the bin wasn't emptied which was a bit off putting.

On the whole, the B&B was fine, oldish decor, but interesting, may need a little updating in the rooms.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Great place to stay near Epping. The executive room is huge and has a nice free standing bath as well as a separate shower cubicle. Views all around to open fields and in a quiet but well situated location.

Found the owner, Des, to be very helpful and friendly. He used to own the pub and restaurant across the road but is now focusing on the B&B only.

Breakfast options of the free continental breakfast of cereal, toast and yoghurt or the extra full English were good and taken in the interesting dining room.

Reviewed 20 April 2010

We booked the executive suite for 2 nights as part of our honeymoon. We arrived friday night quite late an was welcomed with smiles an help with our bags. Was shown to our beautiful suite an was told there was no rush in the morning to get up for breakfast. Once in our room it was larger than web site showed. Bathroom had a beautiful free-standing bath along with huge built in shower. The bathroom it self was very clean an tidy, with fresh towels an complementry shower gels. Bed was huge an very comfortable, plenty of room to stretch out. There was tea an coffee making facilities, along with milk in a small fridge. In the morning there was a range of cereals, jams with plenty of tea an orange juice & toast.
Owner offered to drive us into epping town an was told there was no rush to return in evening. Once returned we was told that we could order in a take away if needed.
The next day we was told there was no rush to check out an was free to relax in the sun in the beautiful gardens where 2 loungers was put out for us. Owner was very pleasent, chatty an more than helpful, was again offered a lift to station when we ready to leave.

Overall the area an grounds itself was very beautiful, no much to do locally but is a very relaxing area an very quite with beautiful views from rooms an outside. Would deffinately stay again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2009

owner was a nice guy (bit of boxer in his youth] arrived early as we had a wedding to go to, most hotels would have charged extra for that. Same the following day, allowed to recover from the night before, was'nt rushed in to leaving, thanks again

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2009

I stayed in this property over Christmas 2008 because my family didn't have room to put me up. It was great. The room was first class and everything seem to have been newly fitted.
The owner has a bar and restaurant across the road and we all went there for a meal.
It is really handy for the M11 motorway and getting into Epping itself. There are wonderful gardens - really huge - which I wasn't able to appreciate fully because of the weather.
Because the owner isn't breathing down your neck it's a really relaxing place to stay .
Only moan I had was that they need to get a better sign - look out for Happy Grow Nursery (it's just next door)

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Epping
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
De Rougemont Manor
De Rougemont Manor
#3 of 4 in Brentwood
The Rooms@Forest Lodge Motel

Been to Elmcroft Guest House? Share your experiences!