“Uncomfortable”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Epping
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Uncomfortable”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights whilst working in the area. The room looked very tired and needed a good lick of paint, the bed was terrible with springs popping every time you moved, the pillows were flat with no bounce and the bathroom had mould on the ceiling. After a hard day at work this is not what I wanted to come back to and the breakfast wasn't up to much with very slow service even when it was quiet. Wasn't even offered tea or coffee we had to ask. A very tired 3 star that's needs a face lift ASAP.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Recently, my family stayed at The Bell Hotel which is situated approximately 20 miles from London. This hotel provides a great home base for those traveling into the city; it is located only minutes from the train/tube station. At first view, the exterior of the row of rooms looks run down; however, we were pleasantly surprised to find the rooms were clean and contained everything we needed: comfortable beds, a full bathroom, wake-up service, and a delicious full breakfast. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel rate was reasonable considering the cost of living is high in England. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Like others I was a bit put off when I saw the place but it was all ok. On the whole I slept alright; the room was ok; bar meal was fine and cost was not too bad. Also conveniently situated. I am not saying good as Reception tried to charge more than my booking reservation was. Fortunately I had the e mail booking with the correct charge and was was given a refund but I thought that was a little odd, to be honest. So you need to check you are not being over charged would be my advice.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We arrived for a weekend break a lot later than planned, but looking forward to our weekend away. First impressions suggested that this establishment is more a motel than a hotel and clearly the place has seen better days and is in need of an extensive refurbishment. And when did it get its 3 stars? Probably when it was built and has not been re-assessed since! We went out to visit friends and returned late to find some wedding guests revelling (who appeared to have come back from a wedding venue elsewhere). We managed to buy discreetly served drinks, but retired to bed as it was somewhat roudy. Breakfast was fairly basic, but ok. Checking out saw a bill which seemed rather high for this standard of establishment. All in all, not the best!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
KayumA, General Manager at The Bell Hotel Epping, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Dear Richard56Derby

Thank you for sparing your valuable time and reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologies for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that We as BEST WESTERN hotel are assessed every year by the star classification team and also by BEST WESTERN for quality assurance.

hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 01992-573138.

Kind Regards
Kayum Ansary

Travellers are raving about these Epping hotels

BERKSHIRE UK
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Efficient friendly staff, although hotel a bit tired, and old fashioned furniture in room reasonable value for one night only. Breakfast ok, but warm and dry bacon not much fresh choice, or choice of breads or cereals.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear MICKFBERKS

Thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you had a comfortable stay and I have discussed your comment with my Head Chef and we will be working on improving our breakfast standards.

Thanks & Regards
Kayum
london
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I booked this hotel very late and managed to get an executive room for a reasonable price. It is worth paying the small difference in price for a good room. I stay in rooms over looking the main car park which are modern and reasonably large. Having said this, some rooms are tired with minor decorations needed. The rooms are well stocked with tea and biscuits although there is not a stocked mini bar. The mini bar is on, so it is worth while taking your own drinks if you wish to.
The breakfast is reasonable and better booked in advance as it is a cheaper option.
I booked through the company web site.
The check in was completed quickly and without fuss. I also had a follow up e mail to ask about my impressions of the hotel.
The bar is small but adequate as is the restaurant. The hotel attracts a wide range of guests and many contractors stay during the week. The weekends tend to be less busy.
As a reasonable hotel for a night or two, I would recommend this hotel on price and quality.
Do not expect luxury, but reasonable accommodation will be provided.
The local underground station is a short cab ride away or can be walked in 15 minutes for thos people wishing to go into central London, a 45 minute tube ride away.

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking the front car park. The car park is quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 8 May 2013

When i first arrived at the hotel it looked more like a trailer park. The receptionist struggled to speak English and the service overall i recieved from her was very poor.

To add to the stay, we woke up the next day with a loud noise on our door. I then opened it to see what the fuss was and was greeted by a maintenance man working on the outside of it.

That following monday i was charged 50 pound to my account. After trying to appeal i was spoke to rudely by another person who could not speak English and my appeal was completely dismissed.

You can get more for your money elsewhere!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Epping
Elmcroft Guest House
Park Inn by Radisson Harlow
Holiday Inn Express Harlow
Best Western Plus Epping Forest
Travelodge Harlow Hotel

Been to The Bell Hotel Epping? Share your experiences!