“Good location and suited my needs”

The Bell Hotel Epping
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Epping
norwich, uk
“Good location and suited my needs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here several times and over last few years it located perfect for my needs whether working locally or travelling into London.
Stayed in selection of rooms but last time i stayed which was last week i had room 44 which was best so far.
Food is good standard and staff always polite.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank xxbigdavexx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have stayed a couple of times recently while working in London. If I made an early start i could enjoy a breakfast before travelling and then miss most of the traffic. The rooms are reasonably comfortable and clean although when I returned one evening at 17.00 the room had not been made up from the previous night and the girls were down the corridor cleaning out rooms.
The breakfast was good and the staff friendly and efficient.
The choice of evening meals were primarily of Indian cuisine although other dishes were available. I tried a steak one night and was not very impressed. Another night I tried the Mince and Onion pie and was totally underwhelmed, I get better pies at my local chippie

Room Tip: Get a room away from the road.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

So checked In around 3:30 pm . used booking direct! As we went towards the room looked like a block of run down flats! Dirty carpets, awful smell insects everywhere! Went into the room to find an even worse situation there was a spider and cobwebs! Moths because the window had been left open! Walls had stains as if someone had peed all over them! Dirty bed sheets! After quarrelling with my partner over what an awful room he booked we decided to check availability at a local premier inn instead! We went to reception after 30 mins to which the receptionist said let me check the room! He then decided to tell us "oh you have sat on the bed and used the sink so we cannot refund you" disregarding the fact the room is infested with insects! Your better off booking premier inn! This hotel is a hotel from hell! Never would I ever look back at this place! Don't waste your time or money and book with this awful place! Furthermore I have pictures to prove the state of the room!

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Xifrah13X

Travellers are raving about these Epping hotels

Suffolk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Arrived to book in at 17:30. Couldn't because the very nice reception staff had to reboot the computer first. Took 10 minutes. Standard room on ground floor. Walking to room was like walking along prison corridors - narrow, painted white, no pictures.
Very pleased with cleanliness of room. However, television bracket was damaged which meant the only way to sit in front of the TV was on the floor.
Shower over bath had two different settings, normal and massage. The pressure was so low that on "normal" it was not strong enough to wash the soap out of my head. On "massage" it was a bit stronger but the water only came out of three holes. Certainly not strong enough to count as a massage. Most of the floor tiles were chipped or cracked and the bottom of the door frame was starting to rot. Once again I could not fault the efforts the cleaners had made.
Plenty of tea, coffee and milk.
The bed was very comfortable but I do not think the room was worth £120. This included breakfast so I feel I ought to mention it. The "English Breakfast" was like all the others in motels and cheap hotels throughout the UK. What must foreign visitors think? A choice of only two fresh breakfast fruits - pineapple or prunes. No grapefruit or orange segments. The cooked breakfast stood out by its blandness - a feeling of Tesco value about the items. The three redeeming features were the three Romanian girls in charge of the dining room. Their helpfulness and smiles were outstanding! When I ordered tea and said that I would like at least two cups, one of the girls produced a teapot of tea that contained at least four cups.
There was a feeling throughout the stay that there were hardworking staff struggling against the odds to give a good experience

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Sussex UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Myself and a group of friends met at the Bell for a very convivial evening. Nice bar at pub prices. The Indian chef produced great curries. Those who ordered a steak appeared a little disappointed, but getting a good steak in England is almost impossible unless you are in a five star London hotel or a very high quality steak house. The Bell used to be a motel as it is a mile from anywhere else, but it is large and perfectly adequate for a night. The staff are all very helpful and pleasant and, for the price, there is nothing to criticize. The buffet breakfast was well worth the extra £5 with lean, back bacon, sausages, eggs, real tomatoes, etc. plus fresh fruit salad, cereals, fruit juice, toast, tea, coffee, etc. If you wish to stay in Epping, the Bell offers a very good value place to stay, but you do need a car. Just one perhaps unimportant negative point; they could do with installing a water softener. I couldn't get a lather in the shower and my hair was like cardboard after I'd rinsed it.

Room Tip: Go for an executive room, ask for a free upgrade.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Sitges, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Initially I made a huge mistake with my booking. Somehow I booked for April instead of May. They offered me 50% off my original 2 night booking, which I thought was decent of them. Then I found out that's what the penalty payment for as no show on a flexible booking is anyway. So by charging me for both nights was actually an overcharge. So we agreed on a 50% discount on the original £152 for 2 nights in an executive room, then had to upgrade to a superior room (because no execs were available for 2nd night), for an additional £161. And they advertise cheap rates?
Our superior room looked very much like a Travelodge from 1980, with the sofa bed advertised as "somewhere to sit". Apparently the executive rooms are bigger than the superior rooms, but don't have the illustrious sofa bed, which is why the latter are so expensive.
The room was basic but clean, the bed was very old and the mattress sank in the middle. Our bathroom was very clean with good shower pressure. The windows had the noisiest wooden blinds to draw at night. I had a BLT at the bar with a Guiness. It was like I would make at home complete with mothers pride bread.
The whole place was a bit run down. If we really had one of the cheap deals it would have been OK, but £120 per night for as 3 star in Epping is off the scale. What makes it worse is they've charged my credit card twice on Friday eve and then when we checked out on Sunday. Gonna have to get on to them in the morning.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade to a superior room. It's smaller than an Executive room according to the front...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve B
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We arrived late in the evening for our stay at The Bell as we were driving through from visiting family and needed some where close by to stay. I had read reviews prior to booking and I knew roughly what to expect. That said, I was surprised by the poor standard of the hotel, especially as we have stayed in other "Best Westerns" all over the country and none were this bad. The hotel itself has been expanded many times and in a style that looks like a 60's secondary school from the outside and you have to navigate a maze of poorly decorated corridors to find your room. The room's themselves are basic. 1 towel despite a booking for 2 people, the TV was hanging off of the wall and the bathroom needed some love to say the least (or maybe just a decent clean), and it took over 10 minutes for the water to warm up in the morning. I do not think the rooms had been decorated in some years as the walls were covered in dents and scratches. I do not mind a basic room and after a day of driving I was grateful for somewhere to sleep, however, I think that some of the money from the price that the owners are charging should be spent on cleaning and redecorating.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ali Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Epping
Elmcroft Guest House
#1 of 2 in Waltham Abbey
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxbourne

Been to The Bell Hotel Epping? Share your experiences!