“Highly recommended!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Baddow
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Stayed here a good few times on business (indeed posting this from the hotel wifi!).

This is a lovely hotel, and always a pleasure to visit. The main thing that sets this place apart is the staff - I have always found them to be incredibly friendly and more than accomodating.

The hotel itself is well presented, in lovely grounds, and the rooms are well maintained and very spacious. The beds in particular are massive and very comfortable. Spa and fitness area is really good, other than the small size of fitness suite itself, but probably not a lot that can be done about this in fairness.

In particular, I dont fully understand some of the comments below about the breakfast. I have always found the breakfast to be fresh, very tasty, and certainly in the top 10-20% of what I have had in hotels. Evening meals in the bar and restaurant are always very good and reasonably priced.

All in all, would really recommend this hotel for any type of traveller - whilst I stayed on business, it would also make a great setting and location for pleasure. Only reason for 4 out of 5 is I cannot really comment on the value for money.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for your lovely review of Pontlands Park and I am pleased that you enjoy your stays with us, everyone knows that travelling on business isn't always a great experience but I am glad we are able to make it more pleasant for you.
I will make sure that your comments are passed on to the team and we are pleased you choose to come back each time you are in the area.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Was invited to a wedding here. The staff were good the breakfast was fresh and tasted nice, the space outdoors was great and the Rooms were okay. The only downside was the fact that it costed a lot for both food, the Room and drinks so...
4 Stars

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at Pontlands Park.
I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and the wedding you attended. We offer a discounted rate on our fabulous bedrooms for those attending events at the hotel and our prices for accommodation and other items are very competitive compared with other similar properties locally, although you felt it was expensive I hope you feel it was worth it.
I do hope we will see you again when you are next in the area.

Chalfont St. Giles, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed for one night and arrived early. Our room wasn't ready but no problem as we sat in the very pleasant garden area. A helpful and friendly waiter brought us coffee and later we enjoyed a tasty lunch. Our room was then available so we made full use of the extensive spa complex. An indoor pool and whirlpool jacuzzi were matched by a heated outdoor pool (with sliding cover for not so warm days) and a second whirlpool. There are plenty of sun loungers around the pool and a cafe area. The changing rooms had lockers and were clean and well appointed.

All staff throughout were very helpful and pleasant, and it was good to see the duty manager constantly walking round and speaking to guests.There is free WiFi throughout. There was a wedding reception in the marquee that evening, but we had been informed and when we returned the festivities had ended.

Our room (23) which was a suite, was spacious but the drab purple/brown and cream decor did not do much for it. There was a separate sitting area, but strangely the television was only in the bedroom where you had to sit on the bed to watch it.Toiletries in the bathroom were nothing special and we ran out of toilet paper as housekeeping had not replaced it. Despite refurbishment the bathroom looked rather tired and please would someone take an oil can to the door which shrieked alarmingly! There are clearly staff accommodation rooms above as we were kept awake by someone walking about above at 2am.

Breakfast the next morning was a bit of a let down after the good lunch of the previous day. The buffet kept running out, and eggs were of the fried variety sitting in a steam bath getting solid, or scrambled which ran out every couple of minutes. We never did see the bacon. We asked for decaffeinated coffee and were brought two cups instead of a pot. The same drab colour scheme extended to the two rooms for breakfast. Toast was cold when it arrived and we had to go in search of butter from another table, and this was only half an hour after service began. The area where the buffet was laid out was cramped and people kept getting in each other's way, especially when food ran out and they were waiting.

All in all Pontlands has some excellent features, particularly the spa, but the breakfast needs rethinking, The public loos had the most peculiar signs on the door too, so a lot of guests ended up walking in to the wrong one if they hadn't guessed correctly!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no staff accommodation above.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at Pontlands Park.
I am pleased to read that you were well looked after by the team and enjoyed the spa facilities. I am however disappointed by the comments about breakfast and will be asking the manager to look into this and ensure that standards are improved.
With regards to the decor in the bedroom and restaurants I am surprised by your comments that they are drab, we receive many positive comments about the refurbishment, but I realise this is all down to personal taste. I will ask that someone takes a look at the squeaky door and also investigate the noise you heard from above.
We do hope that you would return if in the area again.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Due to a recent flood at my cottage myself and my 2 sons aged 10 & 9 have had the very pleasurable experience of staying at Pontlands Park for 4 weeks. The hotel building reminds me of a beautiful country manor house truly stunning. From the first day we arrived at the hotel the management and staff have been amazing taking into consideration my situation. All the staff have been excellent and very professional as well as being friendly and polite at the same time. The rooms are very large and beautifully appointed and maintained to the highest standard. The rooms that we have stayed in have had the added advantage of having patio doors leading to well maintained gardens. The food from breakfast, lunch and dinner has been well presented and excellent. We honestly have had a really pleasurable stay and would recommend this hotel to everybody. J Grosch

Room Tip: 47 - 50 are on the ground floor and have patio doors leading to the gardens
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Julia G
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent extended stay with us.
We realise that having to move out of your home for any reason is a stressful situation and I am pleased that we have been able to make the experience a little easier for you.
It has been a pleasure having you here and we do hope to see you again, under better circumstances.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I took my son and daughter here for afternoon tea. It was my daughters 19th birthday and it was something none of us had done before. How disappointing and over priced. £14.00 per head, 3 x finger sandwiches each, I x scone each and 3 x mini pastries. Now I'm not an expert in afternoon teas but I can tell you this, £42.00 it definitely was not worth. Tea and coffee was not replenished and refills of sandwiches and cakes were not offered. I understand from friends and family that this is unusual as most places especially in London refill as and when. Washed down with a glass of prosseco for my daughter and I and a £5:20 gratuity charge my final bill was £57.20. Definitely not worth the money and would not recommend Pontlands Park for afternoon tea.

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Nicki C
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent visit for Afternoon Tea.
I know that you also emailed the hotel directly about your visit and the manager has been in touch to answer some of your questions.
I can only apologise that you were not offered additional tea or coffee but if you had asked staff they would have been happy to serve extra.
With regards to the amount of food served, we offer a traditional afternoon tea of three different finger sandwiches (the equivalent to one round of sandwiches), a homemade scone and then a selection of other homemade cakes and sweets per person, all for £13.95 and we receive many positive comments on the amount of food included, as such I am surprised to read you did not consider it to be worth the money. I can only assume you were happy with the quality of the food as you have not made any negative comments.
As you say some places in London do offer additional sandwiches or cakes, but the prices in London are also much higher.
The service charge you mention is discretionary and if you did not feel that the service or quality of the food warranted it then you could have asked for it to be removed from the bill.
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion but do hope you might choose to return in the future.

Brentwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed at Pontlands Park Hotel recently with my partner and came down for dinner one night.
The service was excellent and the food was wonderful.
We came to stay here for a friends engagement party after one of our friends recommended the hotel. We are so glad she did as we had an incredibly enjoyable stay.
We will be returning in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us here at Pontlands Park.
It is always a pleasure to hear that people are recommending us and hope that you will now do the same.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

The hotel is very attractive and in a beautiful location. We also thought the rooms were very spacious and well maintained. However, on telephoning the hotel a few days before our arrival to ask about an early check in we were advised that we had to pay an extra charge of £25.00 per room. We reluctantly agreed because we had no choice as we needed to unpack and change before 3 pm for family wedding held at this hotel. We decided to speak to the Manager on arriving to discuss this and he informed us that the Spa facilities were available instead of paying this charge, but we would not have found this acceptable. We do not feel that his attitude was very understanding and think he could have been more accommodating. The standard of our breakfast the next morning was rather disappointing. The buffet dishes were not replenished, the staff were not well organised and lacked leadership. Overall, we feel that the relatively high cost of the hotel is not justified, would not return to this hotel and would not recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Robert W
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review, you will see from previous responses that I take all comments seriously, always investigate problems and learn from them. However on this occasion I would like to tell our side of the story and stand up for my company, its policies and the industry as a whole.
I am not aware of another industry where anyone would agree to a price for a service, turn up to receive that service and then argue with people about the price to try and get it reduced, which is what happened on Saturday.
You called the hotel on Thursday to enquire about an early check in and were advised that to guarantee access to the room from midday there is a charge of £25, which you agreed to. Then on arrival you challenged the receptionist about it and then myself, the Managing Director and owner, not the Manager. I explained the reason for the charge, as our check out time is 11am (and at the weekend most people stay as close to this as possible) in order to turn rooms around to our usual high standards that quickly and still manage to service all of the rooms for regular check in, requires that we have additional staff on duty. We are not the only hotel to make such a charge, additional fees for early check in and late check out are common practice around the world. I also explained that if you did not want to pay the charge then you could have access to our leisure centre changing facilities or use the disabled toilets. You opted to use the bedroom and 4 of you got ready, after you had left for the wedding we went in and refreshed the room as a goodwill gesture, replacing the towels and replenishing the tea/coffee tray.
When I saw you again on check out I asked about the rest of your stay, looking for genuine feedback, you advised me it had been enjoyable, you made no reference to any issues with the breakfast and instead decided to hide behind your computer and post comments on here that you did not want to mention myself or any of the other staff on duty, which I find very disappointing.
My family has been in business for 50 years and this is down to our high standards in all areas, including customer service and although not my usual style, I feel I was left with no option but to reply in this way.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Baddow
Roslin Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Thorpe Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,347 reviews
Premier Inn Chelmsford City Centre Hotel

Been to Pontlands Park? Share your experiences!