The Saracens Head Hotel
Travelodge Stansted Great Dunmow(Great Dunmow)(Great Value!)
US$63
US$93
Agoda.com
The Swan(Thaxted)
US$88
Novotel London Stansted Airport(Stansted Mountfitchet)(Great Value!)
US$124
US$112
US$108
US$72
Priceline
All reviewscar parkhoneymoon suitecoaching innbeautiful roomhuge roomyoung manfriday nighthigh streetbed was very comfortablestayed for one nightfull englishovernight staywhole experienceample parkingstansted airportfollowing morningcooked breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The restaurant is nicely decorated and the welcome was fine. Unfortunately it was downhill from there. The waitress knew little about the menu and had to disappear to the kitchen every time we asked a question. When asked whether the trout came whole or as a fillet she replied it comes as a fish! The starters were very poor. The meat platter was full of poor quality meat - the best bit was the salad. The pea soup was grey - I don't even know how that's possible. The main courses were better though not great. The wine was very mediocre as was the prosecco. My husband had a beer which he found undrinkable because it was totally flat and believe me my husband doesn't usually reject beer. We did not stay for pudding as the restaurant was uncomfortably hot. I left with the same kind of grease-lined mouth I get after a Macdonalds. All in all so disappointing. Go to Square One over the road where the food and service are infinitely better.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed overnight on Easter Sunday. The good aspects of this hotel were 1) the price. £49 for a twin room is pretty good value, but including breakfast made it even better. 2) the room itself had excellent facilities, was quiet, very comfortable and clean. 3) The staff were, in my experience, very helpful and obliging. 4) The breakfast was good and we very much liked the bar - good atmosphere. Only small details prevent a top score. They were 1) though I had requested a twin bed, someone did not get the message and the (friendly and helpful) gentleman had to sort one out for us. He told us to wait in the bar and get a free drink, which we thought was generous. But the barman told us we would have to pay (for our two halves). Hardly a big deal but slightly annoying. 2) Perhaps because of the problem with the room, things were missing (coffee, tea, a towel). 3) We ordered an early wake-up call but it never happened. Not a disaster as I had my own alarm but, again, annoying. These little details are a shame because without these little problems I could have given a perfect score.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is the first time we have visited this hotel. We didn't know what to expect, but it was a fantastic place, excellent staff and the food was delicious. The DJ and soul singer JD were outstanding and it was obvious that everyone there was having a great time. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Looked after by top professional staff, excellent service and food bearing in mind the place was full
Great Bar and atmosphere. I would definitely go back as the food and service was so good...
We were a table for eight people and I thought the bill was quite reasonable for what we had.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at the Saracens Head just for a night away, and wanted something comfortable but not too expensive. The hotel has been refurbished in the last couple of years; I cant comment on its previous condition, but our room was comfortable with a good shower and modern facilities, and although not all of it was to our taste the owners had clearly taken care over it. It did sit almost directly above an open courtyard filled with outdoor seating and although we didnt find noise a problem, some might, particularly on summer nights. The bar was open, welcoming and busy, and may potentially get a bit too full on a Friday and Saturday night for some. The restaurant adjoins; good food and wine with a reasonable choice. We found front of house and waiting staff friendly and accommodating. We would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple